Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
So near and yet so far...

We had booked with Boyne Valley Tours last year for an upcoming tour in June of 2020 and... read more

Reviewed April 22, 2020
Douglas P
Burlington, Canada
Boyne Valley Tours

I had such a great experience with Michael Fox of Boyne Valley Tours back in 2015, that I reached... read more

Reviewed April 7, 2020

from $44.67
from $47.08
from $60.37
More Info
All reviews michael fox private tour day tour mellifont abbey michael's tour trim castle personal tour dublin hotel thatched roof hired michael own pace passage tomb celtic crosses back roads delightful lunch an excellent guide historic sites
Selected filters
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Michael Fox made our day in the Boyne Valley extra special. He picked us up at our hotel in a gleaming black Audi and spent the next 10.5 hours focused solely on the desires of my wife and me. He asked us what kinds of things we were interested in and what we wanted to see. He knew the ins and outs of all the places we visited - what time would be best to be at each site, what order to see them in, when to get in line, what line to get in, what to see when we were in the site. It was just like if you knew someone personally who was knowledgeable and lived in the area and they offered to spend the day showing you the sights. Michael was easy to talk to and there were never any awkward silences. I felt like we knew Michael as an old friend. This kind of tour is pricey compared to other "economy" tours, and I know not everyone will be able to afford it. We know we were fortunate to be able to enjoy this kind of personalized experience. For those who are able to make the choice to take advantage of this kind of personalized tour what you really want to know is do you get you money's worth? I can unequivocally say yes from my perspective and experience.

Date of experience: December 2012
1  Thank MJM0327
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Michael Fox provided my wife and I with an excellent day tour of the Boyne Valley. We left Dublin early in the morning and by the end of the day had seen the entire valley with excellent conversation the entire day. Great Irish stew and lunch at Slane Castle. Met Michael's priest and had a great discussion with him. Learned so much. A beautiful area not to be missed. Cannot go wrong with Michael Fox!

Date of experience: July 2012
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We recently went to Ireland and booked a one day tour with Michael for the Boyne Valley. Michael picked us up at 5:45 a.m. so we could see the equinox illumination at the Loughcrew Cairn T. We were quite fortunate with the weather and it was an amazing experience. Michael also walked us around the site and provided many interesting details. I don't think it would have been possible to even get to this site without Michael unless you were visiting someone in that area who knew of it and took you there. Michael is extremely knowledgeable about the entire Boyne Valley area and provided many informative details as we drove along. We also got to see Newgrange, Hill of Tara and Four Knocks. Michael was even able to find a particular holy well that was near the birthplace of my great great great great grandfather based on the description in a book I brought along (there are thousands of holy wells in Ireland!). Michael was a great guide and was also very sensitive to arranging the schedule based on our interests. Thank you Michael for a wonderful experience.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

The four of us had a great day out with Michael, visiting various historical sites ranging from Newgrange (3200BC) through to the Battle of the Boyne (1690). Michael was great company and couldn't do enough to ensure we enjoyed our day. At each site he organised everything to ensure we got the most out of our visit, arranging video presentations and tour guides and getting us ahead of larger groups. Our guides at Newgrange and Mellifont Abbey were particularly entertaining. Michael collected us from our hotel before 9am and we returned after 5pm - he would happily have entertained us for longer but we were exhausted!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

As visitors from London we had an excellent day out with Michael Fox. Pick up from our hotel and taken straight to Newgrange, Michae l escorted us around the exhibition before we took the bus. Then on to Battle of the Boyne site at Oldbridge House followed by a visit to Monasterboice. Michael is a knowledgeable and entertaining guide. A nice pub for lunch in Slane and then of to Mellifont Abbey where Michael organised our own guided tour. This was an excellent day out visiting historical sites in some beautiful countryside. We also tapped Michael for some good restaurant recommendations. Highly recommended.