Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
So near and yet so far...

We had booked with Boyne Valley Tours last year for an upcoming tour in June of 2020 and... read more

Reviewed April 22, 2020
Douglas P
Burlington, Canada
Boyne Valley Tours

I had such a great experience with Michael Fox of Boyne Valley Tours back in 2015, that I reached... read more

Reviewed April 7, 2020

from $44.48
from $46.89
from $60.11
More Info
All reviews michael fox private tour day tour mellifont abbey michael's tour trim castle personal tour dublin hotel thatched roof hired michael own pace celtic crosses an excellent guide back roads historic sites my niece passage tombs
Selected filters
Reviewed September 16, 2012

As visitors from London we had an excellent day out with Michael Fox. Pick up from our hotel and taken straight to Newgrange, Michae l escorted us around the exhibition before we took the bus. Then on to Battle of the Boyne site at Oldbridge House followed by a visit to Monasterboice. Michael is a knowledgeable and entertaining guide. A nice pub for lunch in Slane and then of to Mellifont Abbey where Michael organised our own guided tour. This was an excellent day out visiting historical sites in some beautiful countryside. We also tapped Michael for some good restaurant recommendations. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: September 2012
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Trim Castle Hotel, which made it easy to get an early start on our day tour with Michael Fox. He picked us up in his immaculately clean Audi and we headed for Newgrange. There was an eirie beauty to the site, and we felt a connection to the past while the two of us lingered alone inside the chamber with the Newgrange guide.

After hearing about our other interests, Michael took us to Dowth, Fourknocks, the Hill of Skeen, O'Connell's pub, the crosses and round tower at Monasterboice, and more. We also enjoyed a peaceful walk (okay, I admit I really hurried to save time) through a wonderful labyrinth, and got to see the nearby quite interesting Sheela na Gig. We ended the day with a hike to the top of the Hill of Tara with a brilliant 360 view of the surrounding countryside.

Michael Fox has lived in the Boyne Valley his entire life, and his knowledge of the area, and all of the amazing sites to see is second to none. If you are lucky enough to have the opportunity to book a personal tour with Michael, you should take it! It's like having your best friend show you around. If you're really lucky, you might even get to meet his wife "Bernie", who is a very talented textile artist.

A great day, worth every penny!

3  Thank wddb
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I were visiting Ireland with a cruiseship and decided to book a private day tour with Michael for the Boyne Valley. We were interested mostly in the archaeological sites of Newgrange and sorts but Michael suggested a more comprehensive tour of the area. I don't know how we did it in one day but we covered much more sites that we thought we could and from different time periods which gave us a more thorough idea of the Boyne Valley, we even stopped by the most famous pub in the area!

All this was only possible thanks to Michael's recommendations and ample knowledge of the history and traditions of the Boyne Valley from the Stone Age sites like Newgrange and other passage tombs, to the most important celtic sites like the Hill of Tara or the hill were St. Patrick proclamed christianity for the Irish people. Michael was always ready to accomodate us, flexible and not pushy at all, he even took us to visit his house where I walked the labyrinth in his garden! He was at the port right on time to pick us up and get back to the ship with plenty of time before departing. What else could we have asked for? The perfect day tour for one of the most amazing places in Ireland.
DS

Date of experience: September 2012
3  Thank ms33flyaway
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My wife and I booked a day trip with Michael and I'm so glad we did. There's no way we could've seen it all on our own. Even if we could, it wouldn't be near as good with out Micheals vast knowledge of the area. He made sure we weren't waiting in line any where we went. I would highly recommend the day tour. ( and he has a really nice car )

2  Thank NvrHome180
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had just one day to see the sights in Boyne Valley and chose Boyne Valley Tours. Although we had a few must-sees on our list we were open to suggestions and Michael had wonderful recommendations based on our interests. We first headed over to Newgrange to make sure we had a place on a tour. Michael waited while we took the tour then he carefully calculated where to go throughout the day so we could see as much as possible in our allotted time. My sister and I are photo enthusiasts and he happily stopped and waited at any photo opportunity we wished to have, even honoring requests to pull off on the side of the road when we saw something of interest. He took us to a great deli for lunch to purchase sandwiches before taking us to his lovely home to enjoy a leisurely meal and meet his wife. He was extremely knowledgeable about the entire area and took us to see sites we never would have known about or been able to find otherwise. We crammed more into one day than we ever thought possible (our choice) and he basically said we could stay out as long as we wanted to, the day was ours. All in all, it is a perfect way to see the Boyne Valley and customize your tour however you want to. I highly recommend Boyne Valley Tours!

2  Thank BLBTraveler