“Everything I asked for, and more!”
Review of Boyne Valley Tours

Boyne Valley Tours
Ranked #1 of 11 Tours in County Meath
More attraction details
Owner description: Private Day Tours of the Boyne Valley, County Meath, rich in heritage and history. Visit the heritage capital of Ireland as your personal driver brings you from one location to the other to stroll around at your ease. Take a suggested tour or design your own. Since your tour is personalised, you will be picked up from your accommodation in the Meath / Dublin area.
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I had a very specific list of prehistoric passage graves in Co. Meath that I wanted to visit, and only one-half day to do it in. These were sites that are not on the bus tour circuit (e.g., Newgrange, Knowth), but just as impressive and archaeologically important: Loughcrew, Dowth, Fourknocks. With good planning and good driving, Michael and I did indeed visit all three of these sites. While my particular interest was in prehistoric sites, Michael could not resist, and I did not object, to his stopping at several historic sites as we traveling all over the county. These included Slane Castle, the High Crosses in Kells, and Bective Abbey. Michael collected me at the Dublin Airport at 12:00 noon and deposited me at my hotel in Trim at 8:00 pm as the sun was setting. My half-day with Michael!

1  Thank Paul K

Reviewed August 17, 2012

My family and I hired Michael to take us around for a private tour and we were nothing less than thrilled. First we visited Newgrange, getting there early on Michael's recommendation, and managed to miss both the huge tour groups as well as the light showers that started shortly after we left the site. While in the car, Michael told us about local legends such as how the Boyne River started to flow and showed us a plethora of interesting sites that we never would have found otherwise. He was a perfect gentleman and even carried an umbrella for my mother when the sporadic showers hit. He was also able to keep us well informed on the history of each site and was a splendid tour guide, whether he was explaining the High Crosses at Monasterboice or telling us about the history of Battle of the Boyne he was always very well informed. Even when one of our members was feeling a little ill, Michael was very courteous and did his best to ensure her comfort. His sense of humor kept us on our toes as we moved from place to place and I really can't think of any way he could have improved the day. If you are going to the Boyne Valley, then you need to hire Boyne Valley Private Day Tours, you won't regret it!

2  Thank kankan31
Reviewed August 16, 2012

On July 26th my friend and I were picked up early at our B & B in Dublin by Michael and brought to Newgrange and Knowth for the early morning tours before the tourist busses arrived. We had originally decided not to see Knowth but Michael convinced us it was worth checking out and he was right. We loved that there was ample time to explore. Then Michael took us to several other sites tailored to our interests including a visit to Kells and the sacred sites there. We especially enjoyed Loughcrew where we were about the only people there later in the day, and afterwards we spent some time at Four Knocks where we had the opportunity to experience this sacred space with no one else around. Michael then took us back to his home for tea and a walk in his labyrinth before driving us home. He even took us to a grocery store on the way back so we could grab a snack for dinner as it was late and we weren't up for going out. Michael was enthusiastic and knowledgeable and he clearly enjoys sharing his love of the special places of the Boyne Valley. Michael's tour was one of the highlights of our 2 week stay in Ireland.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Michael Fox provided my wife and me with a first time tour of the Boyne Valley attractions.
He was fabulous. Saw things that we would never had seen and he planned it so we were not waiting behind long tour bus lines. He is a very nice guy with great knowledge of the area.
The one day tour with Michael truly enhanced our visit to Ireland.
I would do it again in a second -

Ed Sullivan
Massachusetts, USA

1  Thank Edward S
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Michael Fox is an amazing tour guide, bringing alive the magic, mystery and history of the people living in the Boyne Valley thousands of years ago. We enjoyed not only the expected sites such as La Grange but we also visited the stone age cairn at Loughcrew during the spring equinox. A very special addition to our previously outlined tour. There were many surprises along the way, places we would have never found without someone with Michael's intimate knowledge of the Valley. My husband and I felt this was the best of best in terms of tours and recommend Michael's personal tour to anyone with interest in the ancient sites of Ireland.

Kathy Bergstrom