Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
So near and yet so far...

We had booked with Boyne Valley Tours last year for an upcoming tour in June of 2020 and... read more

Reviewed April 22, 2020
Douglas P
Burlington, Canada
Boyne Valley Tours

I had such a great experience with Michael Fox of Boyne Valley Tours back in 2015, that I reached... read more

Reviewed April 7, 2020

from $45.61
from $61.63
from $694.83
More Info
All reviews michael fox private tour day tour mellifont abbey trim castle personal tour dublin hotel thatched roof celtic crosses hired michael an excellent guide back roads historic sites my niece passage tombs irish countryside ancient history
Selected filters
Reviewed August 16, 2012

On July 26th my friend and I were picked up early at our B & B in Dublin by Michael and brought to Newgrange and Knowth for the early morning tours before the tourist busses arrived. We had originally decided not to see Knowth but Michael convinced us it was worth checking out and he was right. We loved that there was ample time to explore. Then Michael took us to several other sites tailored to our interests including a visit to Kells and the sacred sites there. We especially enjoyed Loughcrew where we were about the only people there later in the day, and afterwards we spent some time at Four Knocks where we had the opportunity to experience this sacred space with no one else around. Michael then took us back to his home for tea and a walk in his labyrinth before driving us home. He even took us to a grocery store on the way back so we could grab a snack for dinner as it was late and we weren't up for going out. Michael was enthusiastic and knowledgeable and he clearly enjoys sharing his love of the special places of the Boyne Valley. Michael's tour was one of the highlights of our 2 week stay in Ireland.

Date of experience: July 2012
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Michael Fox provided my wife and me with a first time tour of the Boyne Valley attractions.
He was fabulous. Saw things that we would never had seen and he planned it so we were not waiting behind long tour bus lines. He is a very nice guy with great knowledge of the area.
The one day tour with Michael truly enhanced our visit to Ireland.
I would do it again in a second -

Ed Sullivan
Massachusetts, USA

Date of experience: June 2012
1  Thank EdwardS354
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Michael Fox is an amazing tour guide, bringing alive the magic, mystery and history of the people living in the Boyne Valley thousands of years ago. We enjoyed not only the expected sites such as La Grange but we also visited the stone age cairn at Loughcrew during the spring equinox. A very special addition to our previously outlined tour. There were many surprises along the way, places we would have never found without someone with Michael's intimate knowledge of the Valley. My husband and I felt this was the best of best in terms of tours and recommend Michael's personal tour to anyone with interest in the ancient sites of Ireland.

Kathy Bergstrom
Los Angeles, California

Date of experience: March 2012
1  Thank Kathy B
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Michael Fox is a magician of a tour guide: calmly listening to a rather eclectic set of interests of three very different adults, and then planning, on the fly, and executing a most amazing one-day tour that hit all of the high points of our list, and far more than that. Expertly navigating a spotless late-model Audi through the backroads and byways of Boyne Valley without a wasted minute. We felt more in the hands of a trusted family friend than a tour guide. Intelligent, witty, and understated all while showing us the very best of this rich cultural landscape. Thanks, Michael. The trip was wonderful, and here, at last, is the first five star review I've ever posted of anything.
E. Gough

Date of experience: May 2012
1  Thank edwgough
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My friend and I went on a tour with Michael yesterday. I had discovered Michael on the internet while researching Loughcrew and discovered his web site (www.boynevalleytours.com).
I'm not a big fan of getting in large tour buses and heading to major tourist sites so I really appreciated Michael's personalized tour. He took us to some amazing places including Loughcrew--could have stayed there all day--along with some beauty and inspiring holy wells which I had wanted to see. Based on our interests, he really mapped out the day for us.
Michael is extremely knowledgeable about the area from both a folk and academic perspective. Will definitely go again to explore more sites in the Boyne with Michael.

Date of experience: July 2012