Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
So near and yet so far...

We had booked with Boyne Valley Tours last year for an upcoming tour in June of 2020 and... read more

Reviewed April 22, 2020
Douglas P
Burlington, Canada
Boyne Valley Tours

I had such a great experience with Michael Fox of Boyne Valley Tours back in 2015, that I reached... read more

Reviewed April 7, 2020

from $44.63
from $47.04
from $60.31
More Info
All reviews michael fox private tour day tour mellifont abbey michael's tour trim castle personal tour dublin hotel thatched roof hired michael own pace celtic crosses an excellent guide back roads historic sites my niece passage tombs
Selected filters
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Michael Fox provided my wife and me with a first time tour of the Boyne Valley attractions.
He was fabulous. Saw things that we would never had seen and he planned it so we were not waiting behind long tour bus lines. He is a very nice guy with great knowledge of the area.
The one day tour with Michael truly enhanced our visit to Ireland.
I would do it again in a second -

Ed Sullivan
Massachusetts, USA

Date of experience: June 2012
1  Thank EdwardS354
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Michael Fox is an amazing tour guide, bringing alive the magic, mystery and history of the people living in the Boyne Valley thousands of years ago. We enjoyed not only the expected sites such as La Grange but we also visited the stone age cairn at Loughcrew during the spring equinox. A very special addition to our previously outlined tour. There were many surprises along the way, places we would have never found without someone with Michael's intimate knowledge of the Valley. My husband and I felt this was the best of best in terms of tours and recommend Michael's personal tour to anyone with interest in the ancient sites of Ireland.

Kathy Bergstrom
Los Angeles, California

Date of experience: March 2012
1  Thank Kathy B
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Michael Fox is a magician of a tour guide: calmly listening to a rather eclectic set of interests of three very different adults, and then planning, on the fly, and executing a most amazing one-day tour that hit all of the high points of our list, and far more than that. Expertly navigating a spotless late-model Audi through the backroads and byways of Boyne Valley without a wasted minute. We felt more in the hands of a trusted family friend than a tour guide. Intelligent, witty, and understated all while showing us the very best of this rich cultural landscape. Thanks, Michael. The trip was wonderful, and here, at last, is the first five star review I've ever posted of anything.
E. Gough

Date of experience: May 2012
1  Thank edwgough
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My friend and I went on a tour with Michael yesterday. I had discovered Michael on the internet while researching Loughcrew and discovered his web site (www.boynevalleytours.com).
I'm not a big fan of getting in large tour buses and heading to major tourist sites so I really appreciated Michael's personalized tour. He took us to some amazing places including Loughcrew--could have stayed there all day--along with some beauty and inspiring holy wells which I had wanted to see. Based on our interests, he really mapped out the day for us.
Michael is extremely knowledgeable about the area from both a folk and academic perspective. Will definitely go again to explore more sites in the Boyne with Michael.

Date of experience: July 2012
1  Thank wandag23
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We had a wonderful experience on our tour with Michael. We had come from Rock of Cashel the day before and were weary of the tourist crowds. We explained this to Michael, and he went out of his way to take us to little visited sites that were incredibly impressive but not in the standard tour guides.

Our favorite was Four Knocks Passage Tomb, where Michael picked up the key from a home nearby and we were able to enjoy the beauty and sacred nature of the passage tomb all to ourselves. This was a stark contrast to the next day, when we were herded into Newgrange with 25 other visitors and could barely see the artwork and structure before we were rushed out. We also loved Bective Abbey, where in addition to a personal tour, Michael introduced us to some archaeologists who were working on the site. We were able to talk to the archaeologists and they shared some of their finds with us, like a primitive needle and spear tips.

It was a wonderful experience and Michael was very generous in sharing his insider's knowledge of the Boyne Valley.

Date of experience: July 2012