“Very average”

Ranked #18 of 70 Westport B&B and Inns
Adelaide, Australia
“Very average”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Room was very dated and depressing, but it was clean. On arrival the welcome was average. The place is located very close to the main road. If you are not on a budget, spend a bit more and give this place a miss

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deborah P
PaddyWestport, Owner at Boffin Lodge, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
It is nearly 6 wks since this review was posted and the reason for my delay in my response warrants mentioning. On getting notified of the review I immediately sent a msg to Deborah from Adelaide thru Tripadvisor as I had no record of a Deborah staying or indeed anyone from Adelaide in the months leading up to this. I asked her when she stayed, what room she was in & what was she referring to in her comments about the main road. I noted on Deborah's profile that she had our location totally wrong on her map. I also noted that she had done reviews before & assumed from a mistake by her was unlikely. A week later I sent another msg as there was no reply. A further week later I got onto Tripadvisor and stated that I was questioning whether this person had in fact stayed in Boffin Lodge. When Tripadvisor did not reply themselves after 2 wks I got onto them again & 1 wk later got a standard reply with no detail stating that they were upholding the review. I have found that getting no explanation from them to be totally unacceptable. Getting to the review itself. Boffin Lodge is not a modern minimalist property. The Walnut desk, Large Grandfathers Clock and large oil paintings in the Main Hall might be considered 'dated' to some and our darkest room is our 4 Poster room which is kitted out in mahogany throughout. However the reason, apart from the wrong map location, why I feel we are being mixed up with some place else in the comment re the road. Boffin Lodge is set further back from the road than any other Guest Hse or B&B in Westport. It is the link road to the Quay but is not considered to be particularly busy. We have a large Car Park & Garden to the front as photos of our property show. So after 6 wks of trying to get feedback from either Deborah or Tripadvisor I am assuming that someone has made a mistake in this case. I would ask that those who have not stayed with us note that these particular comments have not been made before in any other review. Pat The Owner.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Ennis, Ireland
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed in the apartments which were clean and comfortable. The quay with fabulous food was a few minutes leisurely walk. Pat was extremely helpful and put himself out to help when we had a problem. We would be very happy to return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Boffin Lodge. I traveled alone, to Westport from Dublin, having heard such nice things about the town, and The Boffin was highly recommended. I would also recommend it! The owners were very helpful, and it was a great quiet escape. The breakfast was large, and nice. Its closer to the Quay but is only about a 15 minute walk to the town center. I didn't rent a car so I mainly walked everywhere I went. My room was quiet and comfortable, though my mini-fridge didn't work and the jets in the bath tub left a lot to be desired. The management were very helpful. You really couldn't beat the quality you receive for the price you pay.

Room Tip: My room was nice and quiet. I was on the second floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Essex
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

This was my first stay at a B&B and Boffin lodge exceeded my expectations. Mary and Pat were very helpful and gave a very warm welcome and great breakfasts! The room had everything I needed and more. Typically I don't sleep well away from home. However I slept very well at Boffin, it was quiet and the bed was very comfortable. The room was always refreshed with tea, fresh milk and biscuits while I was out. I highly recommend this bed and breakfast for anyone passing through the lovely area

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank A W
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed May 5, 2014

This was my first trip to Ireland, and I couldn't have asked for a better introduction. From Mary's warm, kind welcome to the chickens in the back yard (hence the title of my review) my experience was unique and delightful. The Lodge is lovely, quiet, clean and charming. It's an easy wander to the waterfront of Westport and the beautiful Wesport House, or the town Center in the other direction. The breakfast, prepared to order by Pat (the owner) was amazing. I especially recommend the pancakes (with the banana French Toast a close second). And of course those fresh poached eggs!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Cindy B
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Ideally located halfway between the quays & Westport.
Our room was very spacious, (I think it was no. 10) large bathroom, closet, tv, minibar, dresser, & hairdryer. our room was located upstairs, which for us was fine, but I think if you have difficulty walking, (i.e. bad knee, hip) ask for a room down stairs. The décor is a bit dated, but don't let that put you off.
Breakfast room was lovely & bright, a good selection of cereals, breads, (bananas looked like they had been there all week). Frys were a good size, I had the pancakes (as a treat) they were quiet big, but nice.
It is not the quietest of b&b's I have stayed in, in the sense that floors & some doors are kinda creaky, you can hear other guests walking outside in the hallway.
They have quiet a variety of books to read in their lounge area.
My friends stayed in 1 of their apartments for a few nights, & if you have a family, this is probably the better option, as it sleeps 5. Nice sitting room/kitchen upstairs, good size, & looked to have all equipment in any normal kitchen.

Room Tip: if staying in b&b & have difficulty walking, bad hip, knee, ask for a room downstairs
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I have stayed twice in this b&b it is a lovely place to stay, rooms clean and quiet, breakfast really nice, owners really helpful, I recommend warmly. The b&b is outside the centre but not too far and you can easily walk.

Room Tip: All rooms are really quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo