“Lovely”

Ranked #41 of 70 Westport B&B and Inns
Denison, Iowa
“Lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed two nights at Carrabaun Haouse, and found it to be lovely. Our hosts were warm, helpful, and charming. We had very nice options for breakfast, and our accommodations were absolutely gorgeous. As another review stated, we almost cancelled because of someone's whining. Really? This is a lovely, lovely place to stay!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Deb K

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night during our trip to Ireland. We have to agree that Frances seemed very rigid, also agree with the issues on the breakfast menu and the fact that we needed to order the night before (that was a first for me and I have stayed in MANY B&B's over the years, but that wasn't what bothered us the most. When we arrived, we were told that check-out time was by 10am, we said that was not a problem as we planned on leaving right after breakfast. In the morning we went down for breakfast, leaving our room locked, with many very personal items including my purse which had large sums of money in it, on the bed, expecting it to be as we left it upon our return...NOT SO. While we were having our breakfast, our host took it upon herself to enter our PERSONAL SPACE and make up the room, moving about our personal items including my purse to make the bed. This was totally unexpected and I have to say it really creeped us out knowing that she had been in there while we were having breakfast. If you are staying in a b&b for more than 1 night, you are fully aware that your room will be made up, usually while you are out for the day. You put away all personal and valuable items accordingly. It was totally unnecessary and completely disrespectful for this to be done at the time that it was, especially knowing that we would be leaving within the hour. When we finished packing up our belongings and came downstairs to leave, she was nowhere to be found.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dakotago
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed two nights over the April bank holiday. It was my first here and I enjoyed it. Huge breakfast menu, massive rooms and lovely view. Westport was great. Francis was very helpful with directions and things to see on our way to Galway. Would love to come back.

Room Tip: I stayed in #3. Lovely view of the bay.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

My daughter and I were more than pleasantly surprised last week by Carrabaun House; the surroundings, the views, the breakfast, the home and its proprietors. They were welcoming, helpful and attentive. People can grouse that it's not this, and it's not that. I almost cancelled my reservation because of the last review. However, I've been many times to Ireland and have seen visitors like that. There's nothing you can do to make them COMPLETELY HAPPY, and that's what they think is their due. If you want ALL your dreams to come true, empty your bank account and stay at the Georges V in Paris at E500 per day. I loved the area, Ballyvaughn, the Burren. Tomorrow's St. Patrick's Day and I'd run right back if I could.

Room Tip: This place gave excellent value for the money. Worrying about the room kinda goes against the reaso...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Estes Park, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

The home itself is very lovely and our bedroom had a beautiful view out the 2nd floor front windows. That's the lovely part.. now for the "but" part. The owners seem like very rigid people. There is a very small window of time for breakfast and the order for what you want has to be in the preceding evening. There is no flexibility - for example - if you order pancakes and would like a strip of bacon with them, that is out of the question. the menu only says pancakes. If you want bacon you must order something that states bacon as part of it. Our room was on the 2nd floor and there was a wide dark carpeted stairway leading up to the 2nd floor. Shortly after arriving in our room the light on the stairway was turned out. We had to search blindly to find a switch to illuminate the dark stairway so we could go back down, then later to come back up and so it went with the light being turned off. We did not feel this was a welcoming place and would not recommend it to other travelers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kathleen M
Okanagan Valley, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2011

Following a long day of travel in wet, breezy and cool weather from the north, this B&B was a real find. The room was so comfortable, bright and nicely decorated and overlooking Clew Bay and the mountain (we even saw a beautiful rainbow which was a good ending to our otherwise soggy day). The parking was ample and our hosts Angela and Frank were very warm, friendly and welcoming. Frank was a terrific help to us, providing us with a map of the local area which we proceeded to explore, especially along Clew Bay. The B&B is conveniently located on the Leeane Road that is so easy for continuing your tour of beautiful Connemara without the hassle of navigating Westport first thing. (We were travelling north to south).

The breakfast was outstanding and Francis in his professional chef's outfit produced the most outstanding breakfast of smoked salmon that was presented so beautifully. My husband had the best porridge he'd ever eaten, creamy with Bailey's Irish Cream that was "to die for" on a rather cool morning. The meal could have made Bon Appetit's front cover! It was our most memorable breakfast of our travels.

It was evident from the time we rang the doorbell that this B&B was a special find. It addresses all a travellers needs after a long day of exploring all the "WOWS" that the beautiful Emerald Isle and particularly this area of Co Mayo has to offer.

When I think of our terrific stays in B&Bs around our four weeks in Ireland, I remember this one as one of the two very best. It is true gem and will not disappoint.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NorthernLite16
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

My son won a trip to Ireland in a St. Patrick's Day raffle and in addition to airfare and car rental, he received six vouchers which could be used at over 1000 B&B's in Ireland. We traveled around Ireland for a week staying each night at a different B&B from May 14th thu May 20th, 2011. We had not done any research on any of our B&B's because we didn't want to be confined to a schedule as we casually toured Ireland. On the fifth night of our travels, we pulled into the Carrabaun House driveway just before sunset. It had been a long day of travel as we had started out in Dingle and took in Connors Pass, Tarbert Ferry, Cliffs of Moher, The Burren, and a drive through Galway and Conamarra. Angela greeted us at the door, showed us a spacious clean room with a fantastic view of the bay, mountains and sunset and we said this was perfect. Angela gave us some pointers about the town of Westport and we we're set to venture into town for dinner and pub entertainment...a five minute drive at most. The next morning, Frances made a delicious breakfast. I love full Irish breakfasts, but after a four days, it was nice and refreshing to have pancakes and french toast...they were delicious!! Frances gave us help drawing maps to help us navigate through town and to the wonderful Ireland Country Museum and Knock Shrine. Overall, I think this is a very fine B&B. I've read some of the other reviews about this place...i.e.small bathrooms, small tv's, etc... and I can tell you that is the norm in all the B&B's. I found this place to be clean, comfortable, spacious and the owners to be professional, sincere and courteous. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2011