“4 day stay”

Ardmore Country House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Westport
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The hotel is just stunning, very peacefuland, quite, perfect place to relax, unwind or to go sightseeing from. The rooms are beautiful, clean and well kept, as is the garden. There are stunning views from the rooms over the mountains and river, with lovely sunsets. All meal were cooked to perfection with fresh local food served in the restaurant, with a bar to relax in the evenings. I would highly recommend a this hotel, it is beautiful and for our stay great value for money.

Room Tip: Get a room with a sea view
1  Thank Garry S

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Do not let their website fool you, this is not a hotel its a B&B... The rooms are nice but other than that its fairly bad... There is no bar and the restaurant is only ever used for breakfast which isnt the best... For the money we paid we just felt robbed as there are way nicer and better places to stay in Westport. Maybe 20 years ago this place might have been nice but now its just badly run and once you step outside ur room there is just silence everywhere, they dont even have anybody at reception... So dissapointed we were fooled by their website...!!!

5  Thank kingdaithi09
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My Garmin Sat Nav tried to confuse me so this was a hidden gem - its only very minor flaw -I had little diffculty locating but that was very quickly forgotten once we were shown to our beautiful room with its period furniture. It was one of the best rooms we have visited in any location.
We booked for dinner - the view from the dining room was breathtaking out over Clew Bay & the mountains. The meal was excellent and very good value. This is a location we intend to revist as this visit was too short.

1  Thank denis c
Reviewed August 28, 2012

High quality Hotel with exceptional hospitality in stunning location . Noreen runs hotel tirelessly and the customer service is outstanding. I would highly recommend this hotel and look forward to returning. The food especially dinner was the best meal I have had in Ireland. Cordon blue produced by Pat with Fresh local produce to Michelin star standard.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank PadraigWestport
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I post this review with profound regret but they earned it...

Don't be fooled by the website or the virtual tour. This is NOT a hotel; it is a meager B&B with a disturbingly unpleasant hostess.
Yes, I see the glowing reviews about the 'friendly, warm welcome" etcetera. Although, I did have opportunity to witness such behavior from 'her ladyship', I never had the luxury of being on the receiving end of such gracious hospitality.

This is my first-ever negative review. In the past when I have seen the rare negative review for an otherwise highly rated establishment, I presumed the reviewer was off the mark. I assure you, that is not the case here. I travel extensively patronizing a wide range of accommodations. 'Stuff' happens that can make a stay less than ideal. I get it. Many times it is something beyond the control of the establishment. In that case: no harm, no foul. But this situation is an entirely different matter. The hostess pegged my family for torment at the outset and there was nothing we could do to avoid her wrath short of checking out.

Prior to our arrival in Westport, our driver attempted to get detailed information as to the location of the premises. The woman who answered the phone was rude and unhelpful. With the benefit of a smart phone and international data plan, we found the Ardmore House and arrived late morning, with plans to leave off our luggage for safe keeping since the vehicle was to be left in a garage for servicing. We knocked on the door, spoke to the young man who answered and heard the hostess call out from the back that they were not open yet. It deteriorated from there.

Upon check-in, my husband and I were exiled to an attic room where the over-priced "Deluxe Sea View" was accessible via a skylight. There were two such skylights in the roof: one had a safety chain allowing it to be opened less that 2 inches, the other had a broken chain allowing the windowpane to be pulled fully open. In this position, one could put their head and shoulders out the window and have a glimpse Clew Bay over the roof tiles. Okay, given the right circumstances, this could have possessed a degree of quirky, perhaps even quaint, but... IT WAS RAINING and opening a hole in the roof allowed for significant leakage. Oh, and said skylight was the only means of airflow in the room making it utterly stifling when we were forced to close it.

The sloping ceiling meets the wall a mere 30 or so inches from the floor meaning if you are taller than the average Pygmy, you will have to stand in the center of the room. Charming, if I were interested in staying in a tree house but in this application, it meant the toilet had to be approached from a crouched stance or one would hit their head on the ceiling. BTW - my husband is 6'6" tall. He was relegated to the center of the room. An account of accessing the plumbing would be TMI.

The in-room Wi-Fi signal does not reach the attic but that is insignificant compared to the utterly horrid bed, scratchy sheets and creaky floor that would rival the nastiest roadside one-star in which I have ever sought shelter. The ultra-firm mattress may have been acceptable with a decent mattress pad but she must have run out such bedding before getting to the attic. My sons were in a room in the normal part of the house and their beds were fine: Firm mattress but with enough padding to make it comfortable. There was no expectation of a 'view' in their rooms so it was priced accordingly. That was not an issue.

There is no tea or coffee available anywhere before breakfast, which is served at 8:30. So, if you get up early - or happened to be up all night suffering the misery of the stuffy attic with the horrid bed: too bad, sucks being you. The place is not even close enough to walk anywhere for a cup!

After the unforgivable offense of asking to leave off the luggage prior to check-in -- a guest service easily accommodated in [genuine] hotels, I had the audacity to begin my breakfast order with a request for a cup of tea. Apparently this, too, is a faux pas of the highest order as 'her ladyship' snapped that I was to, "Start at the top!". This was a reference to the menu card on the table listing the offerings for breakfast. Tea or coffee was listed at the bottom. How utterly tactless of me to order my tea first!!! I should be ashamed of myself, no?

My sons had coffee. A single cup. No refills offered. So go for the tea folks, you will get an entire pot for the table to share. Tip: if you wish to have your eggs soft poached, order it hard. Evidently there is a built-in system that only allows for opposing results. Another 'quaint' characteristic I dare say. Ironically enough, our hostess is completely unaware of these details, as she never returned to the table to inquire if everything was satisfactory or more was required. She has an efficient, albeit silent, young woman who delivers the plates and [single serving] drinks to the table then scurries away before you can ask anything of her. One morning we kept count of the number of times we collectively said, 'Thank you' without getting a single syllable from her in return: 24. The orange juice is fresh squeezed, which is nice. There is no other offering of fresh fruit at breakfast. No scones or home baked bread, just a rack of store-bought sliced toast.

By this point in our stay at The Ardmore House, we were fairly convinced that at any moment the absurdly hostile treatment would be revealed as a joke. Surely, there must be an Irish equivalent of Candid Camera and we would soon find we had been "punked". Nope. Evidently we had wronged 'her ladyship' in another life, or simply farted up wind because there was to be no kind word or pleasant conversation for the duration of our stay. Indeed, any attempt to visit with her or make a request was viewed as a challenge and met with abrupt, stern responses.

I am content with the benign interaction of merely civil discourse and will even tolerate unfriendly interaction without comment but this ordeal was calibrated to hostile right from the start and I was stunned into silence by the sheer virulence of her attitude. Now that I have had a few days to reflect on the entire encounter, I regret I did not inquire specifically to the etiology of the thorn in her side or rather, the hair up her.... (Fill in the blank).

Suffice it to say, if you have been granted favor by 'her ladyship' and enjoy all the friendly hospitality she has to offer, lucky you! It should be a lovely stay and you will write a glowing review on Trip Advisor.

However, if you have yet to establish yourself as a favored customer, don't risk it. Find another place to stay. Your odds of being treated well, elsewhere, are sure to be much better.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
20  Thank Mamatres
Reviewed August 20, 2012

It's small - which is what I was after, peaceful and lovely. Sunsets over Clew Bay amazing!
Excellent food- people looking for a breakfast buffet or 10 kinds of packaged yogurt are missing the point of a place like this I think.
Staff are unobtrusively attentive, the owners kind - and Pat's a great cook. I had a lovely room and a great time. will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank excapingx
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed in a Deluxe Sea View room. Got a good midweek deal on hotel’s website for 3 B&B & 2 dinner. Breakfast and dinner are served in the restaurant with wonderful views of the bay; we were lucky to have an amazing sunset at dinner. Our room had a massive king size bed with 2 windows looking out on the bay. As the hotel is on its own grounds outside the town centre, there is absolutely no noise at night. As others have mentioned, this is not a big hotel with a gym, swimming club or nightclub so it may not suit people looking for lots of action. If you are looking for a relaxed family run hotel in Westport, I would highly recommend Ardmore Country House.

1  Thank JohnB186605