“Good hotel but just shy of excellent”

Westport Plaza Hotel
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Westport
Armagh
“Good hotel but just shy of excellent”
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for 3 nights at the end of August. The hotel is lovely and modern and the room we were given was very clean, albeit that it was somewhat on the small side. The breakfast in the hotel is very good although i must say I do prefer it if you get a cooked breakfast served to you, as opposed to the buffet style option here. That said, there was plenty on offer and it was all very well presented. We ate in the restaurant on one night (part of our package) and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The food was first class and very well presented. The restaurant staff are extremely pleasant and courteous and we felt very well looked after. My only significant complaint about the hotel was an inexplicable noise which appeared in our hotel room on 2 out of the 3 nights. It is very hard to descibe but could be alikened to the noise made by a tuning fork! My boyfriend investigated every possible source but none was found. I was about to call down to reception to notify them when it just stopped. Quite a bizarre experience. The first night it happened only I awoke but the second night I was glad my boyfriend woke up as well. He did mention it when checking out and explained that it had gone on for nearly an hour but we didn't want to make too big a deal out of it given our otherwise good experiencve of the hotel. All in all it is a good hotel, I can't quite put my finger on why I wouldn't give it 10 out of 10 save to say that hotels such as the Slieve Donard in County Down and the Brehon in Kerry are similar 4 star hotels but are just that bit better in my opinion.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Belfast
Reviewed August 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Westport Plaza from 17-20 August. Our room was gorgeous (we had a King Size Deluxe) and was spotlessly clean. All rooms have free internet access and free up-to-date movies (an exceptionally large choice to choose from). Breakfast was fantastic with a great variety of choice, both healthy and unhealthy! We had dinner twice in the Restaurant Merlot and the service, presentation and quality of food could not be beaten. We ordered off the table d'hote menu and did not feel the need to pay the extra for a la carte as the choice was excellent. The sample menu and pictures on their website is a good indicator of what to expect. All the staff in the hotel were extremely pleasant and helpful. All in all a most luxurious stay and highly recommended. We will definitely be back.

Dublin
Reviewed August 22, 2009

We stayed for three nights with a three year old and one year old. The accommodation was lovely, staff very helpful and food of a high standard. The hotel caters for all ages and the facilities are fantastic for children and adults. We highly recommend this hotel and will definitely look forward to returning.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Ireland
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Arrived at the hotel a little early and check in was no problem. My 3 year old daughter was given a welcome pack containing colouring books and crayons. The room was fantastic. There was a travel cot for our 1 year old daughter and a single and double bed. The bathroom was quite big with a Jacuzzi bath and double shower. All the latest films and internet were available free of charge. Our stay included dinner and it was second to none and the staff were fantastic with our children. There was a great children’s menu and our kids loved it. We spent some time at the swimming pool and the facilities were very good. There was a kids club for older children and a crèche for 2 - 5 year olds. Our 3 year old loved the crèche with its ball pool, Wendy house, large TV and a variety of toys. At night there is a family bar just outside the crèche and kids club where parents can relax while the kids have fun. Overall I think this hotel was really nicely decorated with a warm and relaxed atmosphere, great staff, great food, and great service and would recommend it to anyone. It also has a spa but I didn't have time to use its facilities. The location couldn't be better with the centre of town only a stroll away.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I stayed at the hotel last Sunday night just for one night which is more the pity.
From Booking at the central reservations to my Check out I really enjoyed the whole . Was in Westport to climb Croagh Patrick and only booked late in the week and as I said it was a total pleasure. Had a beautiful room. Spotless and luxury to the last word. The most comfortable bed ever and after the climbing of Croagh Patrick it was needed. Also in the room was a beautiful big 50inch TV and in the bathroom a jacuzzi bath along with a stand alone shower. Overall a super room.
Check in was a breeze and the we were given plenty of information on the hotel and facilities. At breakfast the following morning. The staff were really friendly and could not have been more helpful. Overall its been a while since I could have said that about a hotel. Its good to see a hotel that have such friendly and helpful staff. Hats off to all concerned. I will be going back for sure!!

Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed August 8, 2009

First time I've written one of these -usually don't bother or just forget.
We were shown to our room but there was a slight smell of smoke - staff were very pleasant about changing and gave us a beautiful room. We were on a deal with evening meal included. Breakfast was good with large choice and as a result we didn't need topping up until the evening meal. Unlike other reviewer I thought Table D'ote was excellent with a good variety and always beauifully presented. They ran out of a nice wine that we liked and that was our biggest complaint.
The biggest of this hotel were the staff who really seemed to make an effort to be helpful and pleasant - NOT something you always find!
Rooms really good (very cosy bed) with lovely bathrooms. TV (inc films etc), internet all there. They seem to good deals (as we got) so check these out and make sure you're getting the best possible price. All in all I would DEFINITELY go back - a well run hotel with 10 out of 10 to the HR dept.

Galway
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Stayed here for my wedding anniversary. Got a great rate in a nice sized room. Bed was a 5ft, and very comfy. Room had a great jacuzzi and shower. Breakfast buffet was good and while not impressed with the selection on the table d'hote menu, the food was good, would like to have been offered the a la carte - but understand why we weren't as we were staying on a 2 nights b&b and 1 dinner. Sinead the manager was very nice as was Ewa the restaurant waitress. Would stay again, really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple