“Last minute stay”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Westport
Dublin, Ireland
“Last minute stay”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

My husband and myself stayed in the Westport Plaza on December 26th 2013. We travelled to Westport in a hurry to be with our friend who unfortunately passed away that day and at the last minute needed somewhere to stay. The weather on the night was also terrible and luckily the Westport Plaza was the first hotel open that we came upon. We found the young man on reception and the duty manager to be very helpful and sympathetic. They also upgraded us to a suite and assured us that at least we would be comfortable for the night. We were sorry that we did not get the names of the receptionist and duty manager that night in order to thank them properly for the comforting way in which they treated us. Despite the circumstances which brought us to Westport on this night, the remainder of the hotel staff were also very helpful. The hotel itself was excellent and we would definitely recommend a stay here, as Westport is an ideal location for exploring the wonderful County of Mayo.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Very late review (visited Aug 2013) Myself and my boyfriend visited from London, we both agree it was money well spent!

The booking and confirmation process was simple and very straightforward. Throughout our stay, we were made welcome by all staff who were friendly and professional (clearly well trained). The room was clean, comfortable and modern with a traditional feel too, we also thought that the free movie offer was very generous. Food at the hotel could not be faulted, it was a shame we could only stay the two nights!

We have passed our positive experience on to other friends and family and have recommended your hotel. We too ourselves look forward to a visit in the not too distant future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cork
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I was very impressed by the greeting I recieved here . I had a long day working & driving & arrived here to meet a very pleasant receptionist called Ruari who was so nice & his ' no fuss ' attitude was refreshing !
My room was suburb .
I will definitely come back...

Room Tip: Ask the reception ... Excellent !
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Pippa3000
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I availed of the Golden Years offer from this hotel and selected the Gold experience heres what I found. I'm not 60 as yet so I found the individuals attending that bit older maybe 20 years in some cases and the activities organised was based on that age group. My point is maybe the hotel might look at grouping the 50/60s in one group for a more activity based week. The facilities were good, staff kind and attentive. The only issue I had was the meal in the Merlot restaurant (clased as the better of the two restarurants) on the first night it was bland and not cooked very well. The seabass was swiming in oil on top of an aubigine, the fish was undercooked or maybe defrosted the veg hard to the taste I mean raw and the food was not very hot. My wife food was fine so this might have been a once off. On the cooking Demo (Golden Years) the chef from the Plaza's sister hotel the Castlecourt gave a fine display and I enjoyed the taster he provided, so we ate in that hotel that evening a far better experience really enjoyed the meal. The folowing night we again ate in the Castlecourt again a fine meal so we continured eating in that hotel for the reat of the week. Its a credit to the hotel group that you can avail of either hotel facilities and rerstaruants. There was evening enterainment in the Castlecourt each evening overall I enjoyed the experience and would recommend it.

Room Tip: If you wish a quite break and a restful experience the Golden years makes this posible at the right...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here over new year for the gala ball with family. 16 of us here and the stay was amazing. The staff are so helpful and nothing is a problem. The greeting and service from reception staff to room service, cleaners, bar staff, beauty salon and spa and hairdressers. I couldn't fault them in any way. We stayed an extra night at short notice and the front desk manager was very helpful and was able to get us all fitted in with a lot of time in effort. Will definitely be returning here again. Very pleased overall! Thank you

Stayed January 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed here last weekend for two nights. All staff were very friendly and helpful .Our room was very clean and spacious. The location is perfect..just a few minutes walk to the main street.It was the perfect place to "chill" for a few days. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tobes1234
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Just to state on thing, I didnt stay overnight in the Hotel, my review is on the restauraunt. I went out for dinner with my girlfriend recently in the hotel, I have eaten here previously. We had a meal which consisted of a maincourse and a desert. I have no complaints about the deserts though as they were great.

The general meal presentation and portion size was the issue, bear in mind I have eaten here before, things have changed during the course of the year, from the looks of things they have changed their chef, if not he needs to up his game. The meal was fairly average, I had a steak and my girlfriend had fish, my steak was fine an cooked the way I wanted it, it would want to be for 29 euro, my girlfriend had a very small portion of fish as a maincourse, which cost over 23 euro, my girlfriend is not a big eater but she was astonished at the small portion she got.

I spent over 100 euro including tip on an average meal, I keep saying this the portions were small, they only gave us one portion of veg which wouldn't feed a mouse between us, the presentation of the food was colourless and bland, you got presented with a piece of meat or fish on a big plate with little else, we could have eat food in the bar for half the price. In a four star hotel I expect a higher standard of food.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple