“Great place to stay”

Westport Plaza Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Westport
Reviewed January 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed here last weekend for two nights. All staff were very friendly and helpful .Our room was very clean and spacious. The location is perfect..just a few minutes walk to the main street.It was the perfect place to "chill" for a few days. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tobes1234
Write a ReviewReviews (2,127)

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Just to state on thing, I didnt stay overnight in the Hotel, my review is on the restauraunt. I went out for dinner with my girlfriend recently in the hotel, I have eaten here previously. We had a meal which consisted of a maincourse and a desert. I have no complaints about the deserts though as they were great.

The general meal presentation and portion size was the issue, bear in mind I have eaten here before, things have changed during the course of the year, from the looks of things they have changed their chef, if not he needs to up his game. The meal was fairly average, I had a steak and my girlfriend had fish, my steak was fine an cooked the way I wanted it, it would want to be for 29 euro, my girlfriend had a very small portion of fish as a maincourse, which cost over 23 euro, my girlfriend is not a big eater but she was astonished at the small portion she got.

I spent over 100 euro including tip on an average meal, I keep saying this the portions were small, they only gave us one portion of veg which wouldn't feed a mouse between us, the presentation of the food was colourless and bland, you got presented with a piece of meat or fish on a big plate with little else, we could have eat food in the bar for half the price. In a four star hotel I expect a higher standard of food.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2014

For Dads seventy birthday we recently stayed at The Westport Plaza hotel.Our room was very impressive, spotlessly clean and met all our expectations. Our evening meal in the restaurant was delicious, the home baked bread and the desserts were a class above the rest. All the staff we encountered were courteous and helpful. The personal responses from the restaurant staff was the icing on the cake. Breakfast the next morning was great.
I have worked in hotels for years, as a chef in a five star hotel. I would like to commend the staff on a wonderful friendly and professional performance throughout our stay.
We as a group of twenty people all enjoyed our experience throughout the hotel and are certainly recommending it to our friends.

Room Tip: The Gold Experience.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank 277Patricia1
Reviewed January 8, 2014

A group of 13 of us stayed here for a hen night in January. Had a fantastic time. The meal in the restaurant was great as was the breakfast in the morning. Great location and very helpful and friendly staff. Will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank pamewing
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed for the new year with family. The staff were the best I have seen in a hotel. Everyone was friendly and extremely helpful. Nothing was a problem. The location is brilliant right in the town. The gala ball on New Year's Eve was an extremely well organised event and the food was brilliant especially when cooking for so many. Great band also. The bar staff were exceptional and we had such a great stay we even stayed an extra night

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank happycustomer78
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Lovely, helpful and friendly staff in Westport Plaza and it's sister hotel Castlecourt. There was a great buzz in both hotels for New Year's Eve without having to go to the big New Year's Eve ball.

The bedroom in th Plaza was super with fab bathroom. Room was very quiet even though it was facing the street. Breakfast and dinner very good. We stayed for 2 nights.

The location is great because you can walk up the street to shops & pubs and the town is so attractive. We found staff in all the shops, hotel and restraunts to be really excellent, without being smarmy.

We would definately go back there.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NoreenBranagan
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Hi,
My fiancé and I recently booked into the Westport plaza hotel for New Years Eve. We upgraded to the gold package which was an extra 40eur on top of an already expensive room rate. To be honest, it wasn't worth it. When we arrived, I felt that reception were rushing everything. They handed us our room key and I had to ask the receptionist about getting the free passes to the thermal suite as this was included in our package.

We were on the 1st floor and the room was fine and quite big with 2 double beds, plasma TV with an offer of 1 free movie rental per night, and a lovely big bathroom (the best part).

With our gold package, we received 1 bottle of water each, 1 small bottle of wine each, some chocolates and a treat from the kitchen which happened to be macaroons. The white wine was awful and I couldn't drink it, and the macaroons were covered in dust. We had to request new ones from the reception. The chocolates were nice however.

We went to the hotel bar for lunch which I would not recommend. The food was not great and it was very expensive. There are much nicer places to eat in Westport!

So for dinner, we decided to head out and went to a lovely restaurant in the town.

The gold package comes with complimentary passes to the Thermal Suite in the spa. This was the best part of the hotel. The spa was lovely and so was the Thermal Suite. I would recommend a visit to the spa at this hotel!

Also as part of the gold package, we got a room with a balcony which we didn't use. There was a NYE ball going on in the neighbouring hotel and we could hear it from our room. This was a bit annoying.

Breakfast was nice but I've had much nicer and it only served until 10.30am on New Years Day. This should of been extended to at least 11-11.30am.

The location of the hotel is very good and in the centre of Westport so not need for taxis.

A nice hotel but wouldn't be pushed on going back.

• Stayed: December 2013
JohnClesham, Manager at Westport Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us on New years eve and for your compliments regarding the hotel in general and Spa Sula.

We are sorry that you were a little disappointed with our Gold package. As well as all the extras including bathrobes , slippers etc the main benefits are the larger room and balcony and the Thermal suite passes. I will look into your comments regarding the wine and our macaroons and we apologise if they were not up to standard.

We would feel that our bar food menu is very reasonably priced with a large choice and daily specials available from only €9.95. Also just to clarify that Restaurant Merlot is open for breakfast until 11am on Weekends and bank holidays and this information is displayed prominently at the restaurant entrance and in the guest lifts.

I hope that you will decide to come back to us and invite you to contact me personally so that I can make the arrangements for you on the next occasion. Thank you again for staying with us.

Yours sincerely