“Westport Plaza Hotel -”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Westport
Dublin
“Westport Plaza Hotel -”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Recently visited The Plaza with a group of friends. From the moment we arrived (courtesy bus from the train) to a welcome of coffee and delicious scones for everybody - and over the next 3 days - we were treated like very welcome and special guests! Personally, I found the staff absolutely charming and unfailingly polite. Bedrooms are very spacious - beds blissfully comfy.
The breakfast is fantastic. Juices, Fresh fruit - cold meats - hot breakfast - bacon sausages, mushrooms, grilled tomatoes etc. and the best fried eggs I have ever tasted - perfectly cooked. A variety of Delicious freshly baked breads - hot toast - and as if we were not already replete - then melt in the mouth Danish pastries freshly baked - A FEAST!!

Dinner was another feast. The choices were very good. I had a Sole on the bone on the first night and it was superb - fresh and delicious. Choices were very varied - so we tried a different main course each night and all were of the same high standard. Starters were exciting and innovative (a chef with imagination and great skill must be in that kitchen). Desserts were sinfully good! Need I say more - a group of very happy ladies enjoyed their dinners very much. To add to our enjoyment - we were given a bottle of wine free of charge for each room.

Before we left - I had a massage in the Spa - again a most enjoyable experience. The Spa rooms are beautiful - spacious and the treatment bed was fabulous - it was actually heated so that one almost went to sleep during the massage.

Room Tip: Although the rooms are all air conditioned - my friend was in one of the streetfacing rooms and want...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Bettystown, Ireland
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Went for a couple of nights break and found this hotel to be a real mixed experience.

The room was nice, more spacious than I was expecting but was let down by one of the lounge chairs being heavily stained, the "comment card" being previously completed by another guest yet not being replaced, and one of the jets in the jacuzzi bath not working, plus my partner couldn't put her make up on in the bathroom as the lighting was too poor-3 spotlights not enough!

Breakfast however was a shambles. Nothing seemed to be replenished after 10h15 (breakfast is open, or advertised as being open) until 10h30. I went up to the buffet on my second day at 10h20 to find; no cranberry juice, no Danish pastries, no breads, no fried eggs and no cheese. I know it sounds a small thing, but the bowls they had couldn't fit a weetabix in unless you broke it in half - why offer something that doesn't fit in the serviceware provided?? Further to this one of the waiters let an entire tray fall to the floor in the middle of breakfast - I know mistakes happen but taking into consideration everything else reminded me of Manuel from Faulty Towers - just missing his bell!

The Front Office Manager seemed to think that good service amounted to saying "hello" every time we walked past the desk, yet an enquiry as to how our day had been or anything further was missing- ticking a check list sprung to mind. Also when asking for directions did not appear to know how to reach anywhere without a car. Bad luck for folks like us who took the train!

Nice touches included the comp movies, and bath robes and slippers in the room.

On the other hand, only one bar member on in the evening so had to go up to the bar every time to order, and on the morning of checking out, got three knocks on the door between 11h40 and 11h55 - one person asking to clean the air conditioning filter, and the other 2 maids rushing in to clean the room. If checkout time is 12 o'clock, why can't we pack in peace?

All in all whilst the room and bathroom was nice, everything was so ambiguous would not return to this hotel again if in Westport...

1 Thank Chopsmiaow
JohnClesham, Manager at Westport Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Dear Guest

We are very sorry that you did not entirely enjoy your stay. We will address the areas that you mentioned especially on the housekeeping side.
Breakfast can be very busy on some mornings especially if everyone comes down together at the same time. We are open for breakfast from 7:45 until 10:30 during the week and until 11am at weekends. If you or any guest ever finds an item that has been depleted you can be sure that more is already on the way and you may also ask your server and they will bring the items to you. On a busy morning with a full house we would have a brigade of up to 8 people on duty in the restaurant to look after our guests.
We regret that you were disturbed while you were packing. My housekeeping team do have to get to every room to prepare for the next guests but for your convenience we have a "Do not disturb sign" inside your door which is available for all guests to use at any time.
I hope that in time that you may change your mind and decide to revisit us if returning to Westport in which case I invite you to contact myself personally in advance so that I can make the arrangements and ensure that you enjoy your next visit.

Yours sincerely

John Clesham
Dublin, Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I stayed with a large group of friends for a weekend. We got a special deal with B & B + dinner. The dinner was superb and the service excellent. We booked the SPA and had a lovely time in the different saunas and outdoor pool.

The staff were lovely, the rooms clean and parking free. On the day of departure the staff welcomed us back and also contacted me some time after to ask about our stay and welcomed us back. Really appreciated the fingertip feel off the staff. You really feel that they want to excel, to be the best.

Would go back any time!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Eva274
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 8, 2012

This was my first time to stay in the Plaza in Westport. I booked this hotel only a few days prior to my stay on a hotel booking website and got better value through that for two people one night B&B. Unfortuantely, when I got my voucher for the hotel I noticed it was for a twin room and not a double as I'd wished (my mistake) so I got in touch with the booking company...they couldnt change it, then got in touch with the hotel and they were more than accomodating and gave us a double room, which possibly was the twin to begin with but had a huge double and a single. We climbed Croagh Patrick, and with dead legs checked into our room and straight to the jacuzzi in the leisure centre.
We were slightly late in getting dinner at 10 and the restaurant had stopped serving food but we found a chinese restaurant just down the street. If we were to do it again, I would have tried to get down in time for the restaurant in the hotel as it looked amazing.
The room itself was very spacious, with a beautiful bathroom, jacuzzi bath and separate large shower. You get to choose one movie to watch for free, which was a really nice touch, with up to date movies. Great night sleep in huge bed.
Breakfast next morning was as to be expected in four star hotel. Nice hot food, great selection and great quantities, including newspaper.
Check out came all too soon for us, and off we headed to get car in secure parking just under the hotel. Am looking forward to my next stay there already.

Room Tip: I would imagine any room here would be great, although if your room is not up to standard the staff...
Castlebar, Ireland
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Great service, excellent food and fantastic staff. Twelve of us stayed here on April 21st. We had some last minute alterations to our plans but this proved to be no problem to the staff and hotel. Overall, very happy and would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Stayed for one night over the bank holiday and would to have stayed longer, this hotel has it all. From start to finish it was the prefect stay. The staff are absolutely lovely, very chatty! The rooms are outstanding, beautifully finished and absolutely spotlessly clean. Could not find one single fault with the room. Bathroom was huge also with a double shower and jacuzzi bath. Breakfast was also nice, the usual mix and its served til 11am on weekends which is great!! Free parking also.

Would definately reccomend this hotel and will definately return.. dying to try out the spa which looks amazing!

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights, location was great and very nice hotel overall with parking which is a big plus when it was so centrally located. The room was spacious and very modern and dinner in the restaurant was top class.

We will definitely be back

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple