“Angela makes the difference” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Linden Hall

Linden Hall
Ranked #6 of 70 Westport B&B and Inns
Leesburg, Virginia
“Angela makes the difference”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2008

I just returned from a week in Ireland and one of the nights I stayed at the Linden Hall B&B. After being somewhat gruffly turned away from another B&B in Westport since they were full (a little closer to the town center), I moved on to Linden Hall which was still very much walking distance to the center.

Angela (the innkeep) could not have been any friendlier as she got me settled in. She gave a rundown of the various pubs, restaurants, and points of interest in Westport.

As I had no set itinerary for my Irish trip (but knew that I wanted to hit the Midlands next), I asked her if she had any recommendations for that area. She advised to go to Tullamore (Co. Offaly) and pointed out a few notable places I might visit. It was sound advice as I'm very glad I didn't bypass that area (Shannonbridge, Tullamore, Tullamore Distillery, Clanmacnoise, and the Bog railway).

As for Linden Hall B&B itself, it was clean with comfortable, decent sized rooms and a nice, standard Irish breakfast. Above average compared to others i stayed in while in Ireland. What puts it over the top is the service. There are many nice B&B's with many nice proprietors in Ireland but Angela was a standout.

• Liked — Angela, the innkeep
  • Disliked — Very small bathroom (which i WAS informed of before checking in)
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank BillyPenn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2007

I stayed in Linden Hall very recently and I have to say I was extremely pleased with my experience. It was a 3 night stay and the location could not be better - literally minutes from the town centre on foot. The Manageress (Angela - if I recall correctly) was very well manered and seemed to have a great local knowlage and she didnt hesitate to advise me on day trips and also gave great advise on restaurants and night life. This to me is something far more valuable than all the brochures you can read! She was very pleasant and professional in her approach to everything. The rooms were comfortable, clean and warm, very welcome at this time of year!! Breakfast was excellent (as good, if not better than most hotels). I went for the traditional Irish breakfast and it was exceptional. Everything was conducted with grace and it made my stay all the better. I left there with fond memories of Westport and had an exceptional "value for money" experience at Linden Hall. In short: Rooms - Clean, tidy & Warm. Food: Excellent. Service: Very professional. 10/10 to Angela and all at Linden Hall. Will definately stay again and recommend to my friends coming over after christmas. Keep up the good work & i'll see you all again soon! Many Thanks, Kenneth.

• Liked — Location, Friendly & Professional Staff, Value For Money
  • Disliked — Only staying 3 nights in Westport!!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank kenneths9942
Donegal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2007

My family and I stayed in Linden Hall for two nights in August. We stayed on the top floor in a triple bedroom. The owner very kindly gave us a blow up bed for our youngest child to sleep on, which was great as it is very difficult to get accommodation for four in one room. We were not charged for this extra bed. The house is beautiful and very comfortable. The room and en-suite bathroom were spotless. Location to the town is perfect, with parking out the front yet only a minutes walk to the town, but far enough not to have the noise from nightclubs etc.
A great breakfast was served each morning with a good choice of cereal etc.

• Liked — Comfortable, clean, friendly staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank annaDonegal
Washington State
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2007

We had read great things about Linden Hall, so we booked two rooms for three nights. I've never written a review for a B & B before, but felt I should warn folks about this property.

Our two rooms were very, very small and on the third floor. We could live with that. I was, however, really surprised at the cobwebs around the drapes, the windows and lights. The rooms were not very clean - not the attention to detail I had expected. The breakfast was ok - we had cereal - hard to goof that up.

We had made arrangements in April 2007 for these two rooms for three nights. Had offered to lock-in with a credit card number, but was assured via email that all was well. Imagine our horror when we found we were to vacate our rooms after ONE night. Yes, the gal had made a rather large booking error and we had to leave. We asked why WE had to be the ones to leave - couldn't she find accomodations for the other people elsewhere? No - she was adamant - we had to leave. She did find us accomodations up the road (Highly recommend the Altamont House). She gave us a humiliating rate reduction for our room charges (not enough to matter).

The bottom line? This gal has taken over the operations of this B & B from her relatives, and doesn't appear to have a handle on how to run her inn. Our traveling companion accidently left her nightgown in her room during our rushed retreat. Don't you think that when the gal cleaned the room she would've delivered the missing garment up the street where she'd sent us? No. We called her three times before we left town - she NEVER returned our call.

Terrible, terrible stay - the location is quite good - but the innkeeper is clueless. Stay at the Altamont House - is expertly ran, with a gorgeous lawn and garden to enjoy and a very capable innkeeper.

• Liked — the location was good
  • Disliked — rooms were not very clean and innkeeper is incompetent
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank spinpygora
maria99-12, Owner at Linden Hall, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
We the owners (Maria and Steve) would like to say that during this customer's stay (in 2007) the B&B was under different management and not ours. We would like to say that since January 2012 those very small rooms and en-suites have been renovated are now a respectable B&B standard. Please check our recent reviews as they are all very positive.

Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

I've never written a review on trip advisor before but my stay in Linden Hall made me want to warn others about staying here.
I stayed in a double room on the top floor which was very small so when you have all your bags in it made it hard to walk around the bed. The bathroom was a joke! The smallest bathroom I've ever seen which was very disappointing as having been out all day I felt like a relaxing shower but instead felt like I didn't want to be in the bathroom longer that I had too.
The room itself didn't look like much effort had gone into cleaning it. In fact there seemed to be an anti-cleaning policy in the B&B since the cups, cutlery, kitchen etc was very dirty.
The owner seemed friendly initially but we found her very unaccomodating when we arrived down 10 mins late for breakfast on the sunday and we're told tough that we would not be served.
Part of our group were in a triple room which involved a pathetic blow up mattress on the floor with damp bed linen. Far from comfortable (but yet still had to pay the same as everyone else).
So all in all totally overpriced (even if the location was good) and I would not recommend this place to stay. The owner certainly has not learnt anything about how to run a B&B and look after guests.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — smallness of room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Water75

london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2007

Iwish I had known about tripadvisor before booking Linden Hall. I spent 4 nights sharing a double room on the second floor of this House which in fact has 8 or 9 rooms available for booking. The bedroom allocated to me was located on the second floor.There was barely enough room to walk around the bed, we had only a very small narrow single wardrobe for our clothing . The presence of pieces of fluff and a dead fly on the floor incicated that the room had not been cleaned. The en-suite combined toilet, handbasin and toilet was the smallest I have ever seen,
with no selves for placing toilet items. Bath towels supplied were stacked on the toilet cistern and those with holes or marks we did not use. The breakfast was not too bad but when we noticed that the forks were dirty, the cups were chipped or cracked and the milk had turned we lost our morning apetite. In general the house is. in desperate need of care and attention and I know that I paid far too much for what we recieved,

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — Accommodation was not clean
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank mayoLondon

Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2007

Linden Hall was a great choice for our one night stay in Westport. The location was perfect for walking around town, to pubs and shopping. The decor is a bit mismatched or dated, and there's some street noise if you're in one of the front room. However, it was all very clean, was a good value for the money, the breakfast was well done, and the hostess was extremely helpful and offered many excellent suggestions. Make sure to go to Matt Malloy's while in town (flautist for the Chieftains).

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple