“Great B&B”

St Anthony's Riverside Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 70 Westport B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I had one of my best night's sleep at this B&B. the bed was so comfortable. Our room was beautifully decorated with a large bathroom and nice hot shower and free wi-fi and tea an coffee making facilities. Breakfast was delicious cooked to order and all the staff we came across were wry friendly. Location is fabulous just 5 minutes walk from the centre of town.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eatydrinky

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We arrived in Westport, & just rang the bell at St Anthony's. They were helpful & gave us 2 rooms right at the top of the stairs. Yes - the eaves were challenging to my tall husband, but the place was clean, airy and very central, offering parking too. We loved our stay & would recommend it. Paul was charming, but not around much. On a quiet night it was worth negotiating a better rate. The breakfast took a while to come - despite booking it for 8am, but it was worth the wait. All the staff were friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bozzies
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I chose this B&B based on reviews and availability; based on my stay there, in retrospect, I wish I'd looked longer. My room, at the top of the house, had a double and a single bed, both under the eaves; claustrophobic people, such as myself, and tall people would find it a challenge to sleep in these beds - mind your head when you get up! The center of the room and the bathroom were the only places I could stand fully upright. Breakfast was good (well-prepared, and they had a wider variety of options than most other places I stayed). Location was good, though in such a small town, the same could be said of most rooms. Overall, though, I was not impressed, given the price I paid.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the lower floors, unless you're petite.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Lorraine L
St_Anthonys_BB, Manager at St Anthony's Riverside Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you firstly for your review. I responded last year to this review privately as I did not have access to the public management response last year. I would like to respond to this review publicly now as we have a lot of queries due to this review.
This particular room is an attic room and has low eaves we normally try to keep this room for single guests or to sell it as a twin room. It is not our must spacious room but we do have people who enjoy staying in this room and have asked for it specifically when booking. However I do understand that some people might not enjoy staying in a particular room and we always do our best to accommodate people particularly if people let us know that they are unhappy with their room. It is difficult to handle complaints after the guests have gone. In relation to our pricing our B&B is in line with other B&B's in the area, we would not want to overprice ourselves as this would do us no good in the long term. Our location in the town is considered to be excellent we are two minutes walk from the main street there are other B&Bs that are as close to town as us however you will find that there are many which are a 10 minute walk into town. We are sorry that this lady was not happy with her stay. We do try our best to ensure that our guests are happy and have a comfortable stay with us, most of our guests appear to be happy with our service as per other reviews.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

What a great experience! A quaint room, cosy and a welcoming country feel with an airy spotless bathroom and a well-needed shower after climbing Croagh Patrick! we had a fantastic breakfast with the freshest hand0squeezed oranje juice ever- We could have been in Florida. My porridge was amazing, and the jam was delicious. Homemade bread, fresh fruit and smiling hosts. it was a brilliant place and the ducks on the river alongside the peacefeul garden made it even better. Unfortunately, we had to leave earlier than expected but we'll definately be back. Would HIGHLY recommend.:)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mcklaure
Reviewed September 6, 2012

A friendly well run guesthouse. Breakfasts are delicious with freshly squeezed orange juice every morning. Paul & Linda ensure standards are at their very highest. We had Room number 6 on the second floor and the jacuzzi bath was wonderful.

Andrew & Lesley McBride, Co Armagh

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and found all the staff really friendly and helpful. They pointed out ideas of places to visit and walks around the town. Our room was small but very clean and we really enjoyed the jaquzzi especially after our cycle ride on the Greenway! The windows have white curtains which allow light to enter the room - I know lots of folk like this but I prefer sleeping in the dark - our room had a room above it so on our second night we could hear voices and footsteps from folk above.
The breakfasts were huge and really delicious, with lots of variety, I enjoyed porridge with banana and honey and my husband loved the Irish fry up! The B&B is very close to town and really close to the Greenway cycle route

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rabbits042
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed in St Anthonys with some friends for a night last week and liked it a lot. The owner greeted a group of us and was friendly and very easy going. We had lovely rooms upstairs overlooking the street; the b&b is essentially a well refurbished house with plenty character. Nothing too fancy but well furnished and very clean. There's a great little common room downstairs; again, it's homely and a good place to chill out if you're not heading into Westport. The place is just a two minute walk from the centre of Westport. Breakfast was good also. We stayed in one of the town's main hotels on our return from Achill a few nights later as there were no rooms available; almost twice as dear and without any of the character. Will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs overlloking the road are very nice
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends