“Nice hotel, fantastic staff.”

Westport Woods Hotel
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Westport
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Galway, Ireland
“Nice hotel, fantastic staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

I stayed at the Westport Woods Hotel in early June this year with my mother as we were in Westport fora wedding. We found it to be quite lovely and fitted our needs perfectly. It's not a new hotel by any means but I know my mother especially prefers this, she has a thing against "modern" hotels. When we arrived there was ample car parking and the grounds looked very pretty. The check-in was efficient and the receptionists were very friendly and welcoming. It was a bit of a trek to our room though through a labyrinth of seemingly never ending corridors but when we got there the room was good. It was we presumed in the older part of the hotel, the sofa was a bit sun bleached but the beds were obviously new and very comfortable. The room contained everything we needed, tv, tea and coffee making facilities and was very clean.
We had buffet breakfast each morning which was perfect as one could take as much or as little as they liked and the food was always perfectly cooked. We had one evening meal in the restaurant which was again very tasty but the best thing about the restaurant was definitely the staff, they were all extremely friendly (but not pushy) especially the restaurant manager. I really cannot praise the staff of this hotel enough they are all wonderful.
My mother sampled the leisure center and thoroughly enjoyed it and again she commented on how nice the staff were.
I do however have two gripes to make about this hotel. One is the very long walk from reception to our room I've never experienced it before but it was fine for us we like walking and two the shower managed to flood the entire bathroom even though I had the shower curtain tucked into the bath. The water pressure was very good though which may have been what caused the problem. Overall though I really liked this hotel and would recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere charming and quiet to stay in Westport.

• Stayed June 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Tipperary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

We just returned from a two night stay at Westport Woods.There was a small mix up with the room but we were moved within minutes.All staff we met here were friendly and efficient.
The dinner menu was simple but very tasty.There was also good food available in the bar which was reasonably priced.
The room was OK ,we were I believe, in a deluxe room speaking to other guests I don't think there is a big difference except an LCD TV. I had a great rest on both nights although my partner was awoken early by a cockerel crowing ! He appears to be a 'pet' of the hotel -that was a bit of a novelty though !
A couple of minor things though - The bath towels seemed to be quite small.When using the shower in our room (31x) no matter what way the curtain was closed the floor seemed to get flooded, I just hate leaving extra work for the housekeeping staff. There was none of the usual hotel directory/information guide in the room.
I would really like if WiFi/broadband was available in the rooms,it was available in the lobby but it becomes a bit tiresome dragging a laptop up and down from the room.There were a couple of computers available also but you had to pay, when I checked the screen of one it was something ridiculous like 13 cent per minute.
Finally on check out we got a correct bill (which we've found on our travels isn't always the case) so well done.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2010

We stayed at the hotel on the June bank holiday weekend. Check-In was efficient and very friendly. Staff engaged with the kids which was nice. Shown to our room which was a real family room. Someone came down to make up the sofa bed and the cot. They were very friendly without being totally in your face. Kids then insisted we go to the pool. In a previous life (i.e. before children) my husband and I have stayed in many, many hotels and to be honest this was better than most. The place was spotless. We took turns minding the kids and then the other would disappear into the sauna or steam room. Kids had a ball. One of the staff came over at one point and offered arm bands. Staff were really engaged. We ate dinner in the hotel that night and the food was delicious. I had fish and my husband had beef - no quibbles, good honest food. Kids were delighted with their Barney Burger and Fiona's Fish.

There is a kids club on site so after the meal the kids ammused themselves there for a while and then they hit the on-site playground.

We also spent the day at Westport House which we would recommed for a great family day out. One tip - buy your ticket before 1100 and get a family discount. Maybe the hotel could offer a package that includes a stay in the hotel with a family pass into the house??

Overall a great hotel - friendly staff, good food, good facilities - would heartily recommend.

We will be back!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2010

I recently stayed here with my parents, husband and children and we had a lovely time. The kids loved the pool and my parents appreciated the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. I have some food intolerances - wheat, dairy etc. - and was hugely impressed when a chef, Ronnie, asked me each breakfast time what I could eat for dinner that night and would then prepare something specially for me. We'll be back!

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2010

I have just booked a return holiday to the Westport Woods Hotel stayed over Easter with my family and we had a great holiday.Super rooms really comfortable beds,lovely food,good entertainment and the best kids club I have come across it was brilliant my children really enjoyed it and wanted to return.The leisure centre is excellent and spa is worth a visit,we got a special deal on our treatments it was great value felt very pampered after it especially after a long relax in the outdoor hot tub.
We loved Westport town it has loads to offer for families its definately not to be missed.
Overall it was the staff that were to bring me back on a return visit they are so friendly and really looked after us its a credit to the hotel.
Looking forward to my return

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Staffordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2010

The hotel was really great. The key thing was the customer service skills and friendliness of the staff, nothing was too much trouble. The culture of the hotel was dictated by the owner Michael, who was a fantastic host and a pleasure to meet. His knowledge of the area was superb which gave us wonderful experiences when we went horse riding. His personality made the experience as he was great fun, an excellent horseman and really knowledgable about all things equine. The spa facilities were lovely which added to some well earned relaxation after our riding. I will definately be returning to Westport Woods and would recommend it to anyone wishing to visit this part of Ireland, especially with an interest in horses.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2010

I was travelling around Ireland by myself and went to a travel expo to try to find a good horse riding holiday. There I met Michael, the Manager of the hotel. He arranged my stay, booked my rides, picked me up from the bus upon arrival in Westport, drove me to the airport at the end of my stay and peronally looked after me throughout the duration of my holiday.
I had the BEST rides. A 2 hour trek through the hills and trails, the rain drizzling, the horses hooves clopping along on the bitumen roads and then picking their way through the farmers fields. I saw donkeys, sheep, cows, horses, villagers, the most magnificent scenery. Then the next day a 3 hour ride along the ocean front, through the surf, along the sand, galloping, strolling through the shallow water, swimming across a deeper channel perched on top of the horses back trying not to get TOO wet!.
It was a wnderful adventure and one I can highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo