“Nice”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have been there very late night. The reception was very helpful and the breakfast was nice.I stayed for the good sleep that I had a nice trip to Archill Island.We figure out the problem with heating and hair-dryer.I think the wifi only can use in the lobby.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
HumanResoucesManager, Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Angel H,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us here at Westport Woods Hotel, I was delighted to read how you enjoyed our hotel.

Please let us know if we can do anything to make your next stay as memorable an occasion.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
dublin
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I Should have listened to the reviews about the rooms on this site. The rooms are as they say, very tired and dated. The original room we were put in was tiny - as there are 5 of us, we moved room, to a slightly larger room, with a view of a brick wall - that aside it is even more dated and tired than the original room - dirty, stained carpets, 2 towels between 5 of us, no phone in room to ring reception to ask for towels, no signal on mobile phone to ring reception, only 1 room key between us - think 'fawlty towers'!!! I asked I there were any free inter-connecting rooms on the 4th floor as this floor seems to be more recently updated and I was told I would have to pay more - I don't think I'll be giving them any more money, thanks. All that and we're only here an hour. It's a pity because the hotel has potential. Would love to hear what the manager has to say!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank brona b
Galway
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

We invited my brother and sister from boston and perth to I reland for xmas . The families were 6- 8 children and the welcome and entertainment were exceptional. They have a kids club there and the hotel food was second to none .I would recommend this family hotel to to anyone who wish to have a hassle free holiday The staff recommmend the attached leisur centre and the rooms were comfortable and showers were hot. Thank you for a great holiday and seee yoy soon.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear jmcgloin-galway,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review following your stay at BWP Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed all aspects of our hotel from start to finish.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff and service, it truly is a boost to read a review like this. I appreciate your positive feedback in regards to our bedrooms and the kids club.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards
Dublin
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I visited here at the weekend. All the staff we met were very friendly especially the reception staff, couldn't be more helpful and very welcoming. From the reviews I had read here I called the hotel and requested an upgraded room, unfortunately we did not get an upgraded room. The location is very convenient for town and as we were climbing Croagh Patrick it was on the right side of the town. We arrived into the room and it was clean but very very dated. The curtains were at least 30 years old, patterned and very unattractive as was the bedroom furniture. Very old and not really suitable for a hotel room. The hair dryer and TV were good though. Bathroom, again was clean but very old and certainly no frills, the towels were an off white/overused colour. One of the plugs was an old plug so could not be used for any appliances we had.

The breakfast was nice, well as nice as a buffet breakfast can be, we had to time it well as otherwise the food would be reheated, again the plates were very old and scratched.

Overall, I don't think I would recommend this hotel. The room was very big which was great but the decor was really unattractive, the rooms are not soundproof so I didn't get much sleep, I was awoken at 6am by a group knocking on doors to wake up other people.. However the staff stood out for me as being very pleasant and the location is good. We didn't pay much for the room but I feel like it is such a competitive market especially in Westport that if you search around you would get a much newer nicer place for a weekend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

On arrival I was impressed with how the hotel reception area was presented however this all changed when I got to the room which I feel was very dated and really in need of an upgrade. Particularly the bathroom which just really looked worn and the sink took about 30 mins to release water. We had breakfast included but this was very poor and was always cold (even on the day we had to order from the floor staff). Each night reception was full of pensioners playing bingo which made us feel like this was a no go area during this time. The bar area in fairness did seem to have a good atmosphere (whilst football was on). The travel cot was not in the room when we got there so we had to ask for it even though we had requested this at time of booking and it was indeed on the record. When it was brought to us it can only be described as absolutely filthy and we had to request a replacement which surprised me that we had to ask in the first place as anyone should have seen how dirty this was.
I visited a few other hotels when in Westport and certainly feel that there is others that are competitively priced in comparison and would definitely say that I wouldn't stay at Westport woods again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kieron M
Galway
Reviewed October 4, 2013

When Annette and I got engaged in July 2012, we started looking at potential venues shortly afterwards. She’s from Westport so the reception was always going to be there. We looked at all the hotels, you know the ones, that get a lot of weddings. We had liked another hotel and were mulling it over. Confession time: The Westport Woods Hotel was the last on our list to see. And we were going in there to discount it; just to say we’d seen them all. Then we walked in the door and met Joanne, the owner, and in the first minute all our thoughts about “discounting” this lovely hotel were gone. We were bowled over by the warm, friendly and professional meeting we had with Joanne that day.

The layout of the hotel is perfect for a wedding. There is a large open foyer, with lovely deep couches and lots of glass to look out onto the gardens. The bar is spacious with lots of bar space and seating space. The upstairs dining room is stunning – this is used for wedding photos if the weather is bad or for civil ceremonies. The highlight of the room is a huge bay window overlooking the gardens and trees. It’s spectacular. Thankfully our day was lovely so our photos were outside, but it was nice to have this back-up

In our first meeting with Joanne, she put us so much at ease with her knowledge, easy-going manner and the complete absence of the ‘hard sell’ that is the trademark of so many places. One thing she said, which stuck in my mind ever since was; “One of the things we’ll guarantee you here is good food. And plenty of it.” We also saw the wedding function room that day. It’s really well proportioned. Again, with a lovely bay window and lots of glass, giving great views. At that first meeting, we were really impressed with the flexibility of the hotel to requests and ideas that we might have. We walked out the door and weren’t even at the car when we decided that we wanted the Westport Woods as our wedding venue.

As we planned our big day, Joanne was always at the end of the phone if we wanted to check things, change things or look for some tips or advice. She had some great advice. After all, she sees a lot of weddings. We were only planning one. It was great to have someone on hand with the experience to help us out.

Fast forward then to February 2013, our menu tasting. The food we tasted was fabulous. Wines were gorgeous – and reasonably priced. We had one or two suggestions for things that we’d like to change slightly on the menu. That wasn’t a problem and Joanne even suggested that we come in again to taste the dishes with the changes that we had suggested. Nothing was ever too much trouble. We met her again the week before the big day and went through the final details. When we sent out our invitations, one of the responses that came back for dietary requirements jokingly asked for “Schwepps ginger ale for brandy”. We told this to Joanne and ta-dah, Schwepps ginger ale duely arrived.

On the day itself, the hotel looked fabulous. Flowers adorned the foyer and church candles lit the way down the staircase to the function room. We didn’t have a receiving line at the church after the ceremony. Because of this, our guests arrived back to the hotel early. That wasn’t a problem for the hotel. The canapés and champagne reception was brought forward by about 45 minutes from the typical time. We bought our own bits and pieces for a sweet table. That was all set out really nicely. Annette and I are the last in both our families to get married. So we got framed photos from the weddings of all our brothers and sisters and asked Joanne to lay them out on a table on the way into the function room. We brought all this stuff to the hotel in cardboard boxes and they looked after everything else. There was such peace of mind with them.

The function room was set out beautifully with a mixture of long rectangular tables and round ones that perfectly accommodated our 140 guests. The centrepieces complimented the bridesmaids dresses and really set the room off. Then there was the food. It was fantastic. There were rave reviews about everything. Joanne was on hand at all times and I don’t think I’ve ever seen efficiency like it. From start to finish for each course, the whole room was served in less than 5 minutes. I liked that all the main courses came out on plates, ready to go, rather than the plates coming out first and everything being served from serving platters or dishes. Similarly with the vegetables. Little dish for everyone, instead of huge serving dishes doing the rounds. Joanne and the hotel exceeded our expectations on this. I’ve never had nicer roast beef and there was lots of it, just as Joanne promised. Our other choice was hake and that got rave reviews too.

No matter how carefully you choose your menu, there may be people who don’t fancy either of the starters, for example. Joanne said way in advance that would not be a problem and that they’d be able to prepare pretty much anything if a few people had less extravagant tastes than ours. Again, real peace of mind. We saw a great example of attention to detail from Joanne during the meal. My aunt, who has a very small appetite, didn’t choose a starter. Joanne asked her if there was something else she might like. “No, thank you” said my aunt “to be honest I probably won’t finish the main course.” Joanne asked her if she’d like them to change the size of the main course to suit my aunt’s appetite. “That would be great” my aunt replied. She was delighted with this attention to detail, as were we.

The evening food was lovely too and more plentiful than I’ve seen in other hotels. Any remaining food from the evening was kept in the fridge and left up to the residents' bar later on. That was really appreciated by all.

Two days after the wedding, everything we had brought in to the hotel repacked carefully by the hotel staff. Checking out was a breeze and we were really sorry to be leaving. We both really hope to go to another wedding here as soon as possible.

Special mentions on the day for JP and Tony who were fantastic. Poor Tony looked after Annette's ice water needs as she hardly left the dancefloor all night.

What the Westport Woods hotel gave us was a friendly, welcoming & professional venue for our wedding, with endless flexibility. There were many things included in the standard package that you wouldn’t get in most other hotels. If you’re thinking about having your wedding in Westport, I can’t recommend this hotel highly enough. You will have a stress-free planning experience, gorgeous photos, full tummies, very happy guests and a smiling newly married couple.

Greg & Annette Ward, Ballinasloe and Westport

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Boumticlad
Dear Boumticlad,

Thank you for your review of your experience here with us at the Westport Woods Hotel. Weddings are very important to us and to read such a high praise for our services, our food, and of course our staff, is indeed a pleasure.

Many thanks for your very kind comments.

Wicklow, Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was our fourth visit to Westport Wood and we were as happy as ever with the Hotel Rooms, Disabled facilities, Reception, Location, Bar, pool/leisure, especially the housekeeping department ..they were fantastic. but the restaurant ...... lovely place to stay if you do not need to eat. staff in the dining room were aware of our dissatisfaction ... do not eat there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear 56Ruby D,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us here at the Westport Woods Hotel.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed the hotel, and in particular our location, staff and leisure facilities. We would be delighted to welcome you back again in the very near future.