“Nice, but check your bill”

Westport Woods Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Westport
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 16, 2013

A lovely stay in a very nice hotel with good food and great service from attentive, friendly staff; such a shame that the accounting system seems to be so lax. Best tip? Save your receipts for everything.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mavis_Cruel13
Write a ReviewReviews (1,113)

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I recently stayed in the Westport woods with my partner. We really enjoyed the food and the leisure facilities, It is a five minute walk from the town center and their is excellent parking. We were in a bedroom on the ground floor. The room was not Luxurious but it was clean and we got a goods nights sleep.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are a bit dated
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This hotel is part of the McEniffe group and is very well fun by one of his daughters and her husband. It is lovely when the owner comes to your table to welcome you personally to the hotel as does her Father. The hotel is nicely decorated and very well kept. We had a large room with a double and single bed and a gr8 bathroom. Clean towels and a clean every day of our stay. Nothing is too much trouble for the dining room staff and if you want something different from the menu ,then it appears as if by magic. The staff were very courteous and pleasant and well presented. I don't see why this hotel doesn't have 4 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near to the reception if you don't like to walk too far.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank herbie49cows
Reviewed June 12, 2013

On arrival at reception we were greeted in a friendly way however they lacked professionalism as one receptionist was rude to another staff member.When reached our room an hour after check in time two chamber maids though friendly were ironing bed linen in the room. i told them we were in this room and they continued to iron the remainder of the bed linen so we had to wait till they were finished. Evening meal was overpriced, an inital 60 euro for just two main courses and plain plate of pasta this was excluding drinks, starter or dessert. Overall not impressed, rooms outdated, bath had not been cleaned, no wifi in rooms and some staff friendly others lacking professionalism!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My hubby and I stayed here in April 2013 - first impressions was that it was quiet dull and dark inside. The lady that checked us in was lovely. The room was fine - clean - a basic hotel room.

On our 1st day we ate lunch in the bar which was lovely, however, our dining experience on the 2nd day was not so good. Although it was not part of our package we choose to eat our dinner in the hotel - big mistake. We were presented with a "dining room" menu with very little choice (beef stew, turkey & a vegetarian option I think) - we asked was there an alternative and was told we could order off the bar menu if we wanted to! So, left with little choice, we did. My husband's meal was fine, mine - not so much. My chicken dish was swimming in a watery sauce, my veg & potato was served in a tiny dish and must have been reheated as it was discoloured and crispy! Rather than make a fuss, we ate on and then ordered dessert - my husband ordered profiteroles and I ordered apple crumble - what I got was just chunky apple. Through out our meal, the hotel's fire alarm was going off, which was deafening. I would have overlooked this, as they were trying to rectify it, but it just added to the frustration of the already disastrous meal.

Later that evening I spoke with the general manager and expressed my disappointment over our dinner. He said he would take my dinner off our bill.

Taking the bad dining experience out of it, would I return here? No. It was only alright. The interior of the hotel could do with a revamp. And aside from the 1st lady that checked us in and a couple of the bar staff, the rest of the staff just didn't make an effort.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EandTK
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I attended for a hen on the june bank holiday Lovely hotel. Was really impressed with the staff , they were really friendly and helpful.(even posting me pack a shoe I left behind!)
Looking forward to coming back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Only stay for one night, had food at the bar and was good , room was very clean with good tv station and the gym was small but good enough for a short stay.
The staff were all very nice and helpfull . Will definetly comeback again (pleasure or business)

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business