“Saturday night in Westport woods”

Westport Woods Hotel
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Westport
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Tuaim da Gualin
“Saturday night in Westport woods”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Just stayed in The Westport Woods for one night and it was very good.The hotel was very quite when we arrived at 1pm and we almost had the place to ourselves.We had dinner in the bar in the evening as the restaurant was not open.The dinner was grand and very reasonably priced and our waiter was excellent.A nice homely atmosphere in the bar and a couple of parties there enjoying themselves.Breakfast was fine.There is a fine ,big lobby with a nice solid fuel fire,where you can sit back and relax.This hotel must be great for familes as there are plenty of activies for children including a great swimming pool area.There were quite a few families here this weekend. All the staff were helpful.Will go there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Our stay was very comfortable and we were well looked after. We had lunch in the Bench Cafe Bar and it was delicous. Our dinner was served in the Lakeview restuarant choice of menu excellent as was the food. I would recommend a visit to the Spa you will be well treated and come away feeling very much refreshed. For those who would like to sit and play Bingo this is an option. We were more energetic and opted for dancing to the music provided by Joe & Patricia a local band they were very good. The hotel have a host of themed breaks from dancing to golf or they will tailor a programme to meet your needs. There are some really beautiful walks around the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank smiler073
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have no idea why there are any good reviews on here about this hotel. It is honestly the worst place I have ever stayed, and that includes hostels. I am not fussy, but I was shocked at how poor the standard of this accommodation is. It looks fine on the website, and the reviews seem ok - in fact I was actually excited to stay. However, upon arrival I soon discovered - the rooms have not been updated AT ALL in about 30 years, every single thing is old and dirty - the carpets, the bed, the bathroom, all horrible. If I had not pre-paid I would have left immediately.

Truly awful stay for €90. A shame as the town and surrounding area is very nice. I would never stay here again and I wish i hadn't made the mistake in the first place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Frances J
kerry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Went to a wedding last weekend in the westport woods stayed two night and had no children with us . We got a spacious room on the top floor overlooking the woods . With the most interesting style windows. well the bed was to die for . The wedding was the friday evening so we just arrived at the hotel when the drinks reception started. They couldnt have been nicer the wedding coordinator name was Joanne I think . My husband is gluten free and she organised a sandwich and a soup for us while we were changing . We were starving after such a long drive . Food was very good and wedding and plenty of it , I never knew they did weddings untill my friend invited us ti it had stayed in the hotel before visiting her . Think they just did the lobby and the function room up as they were really beautiful . hotel spotless . Service excellent . The following morning again no problem with Gluten free at breakfast great choice . then we took a trip to the lesiure centre what a joy. I had a massage and facial booked for noon and my husband had booked to go riding on the beach with a group from the wedding . My facial and massage was so relaxing i headed up to bed for another hour after before i could face everybody again . my husband Said the ride on the beach was amazing he had a lovely horse called Buster. We had dinner and drinks in the hotel that night about 20 of us a great night again . I never set foot outside the hotel in the three days and i had a fantatstic time . credit due to them

Room Tip: Rooms on top very quiet and very comfy beds
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank marleylimerick
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

I had my wedding here this Sept just gone and it was super fantastic. I must say that Joanne was amazing from the first contact through to the day of the wedding. She knows her stuff when it comes to weddings, and knows what guests like, what to do, and helps to guide you through the process. She is also very open to allowing the couple to have their own personal touches. We built our own photo booth, sweet shop and had ordered in some giant games to keep the guests amused. It was also a great spot for an ice-cream van - you can enjoy ice-creams in the beautiful garden out the back, or the lazy people in the bar can just pop out the door as the ice-cream van pulled up there too. We had such a beautiful day and the sun shone fantastically in the garden for some great photos. We were planning on going to the beach for wedding snaps, but the new area at the back that goes down to the lake behind is just so beautiful for photos - so we didn't waste any hours galavanting around.
We had our own Celtic ceremony there in the hotel- the room for that was fantastic, Joanne and her crew took my decorations I had brought (for my festivally theme) and they made it look lovely, with the candles on the aisle etc.
The canopes were really great too after the ceremony. It was designed well for weddings - the drinks/canope reception area is just outside the room where the ceremony is, which is just beside the bar! There is no losing any guests!
They played our favourite song as we entered the reception room - and the food was served fantasticaly and was really tasty! Nom nom.
The reception room is great - good bar, loadsa room, direct access to the garden/patio are for the smokers. Everyone had a ball!
They are great at weddings. The honeymoon suite is gigantic! There is a safe to put all your cards etc, the staff are there to help out, and it is very family friendly. The leisure centre is great, with a super pool and Jacuzzi to relax in the day after. There is a lovely spa too, (but didn't get the chance to sample. Too busy having a great time! )
Thanks so much Joanne and crew for making this such a great day to remember for ever! I would defo recommend!
Also, Westport is a great place for guests to spend a few days, cos it is so fab with loads to do and see.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly refurbised rooms... or even the big bridal suite!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

My fiancé and I stayed here for three nights at the end of October. We were really pleased with the hotel.

There is lots of parking out in front of the hotel. It was difficult enough to find a space on the Friday and Saturday night as there was live music in the bar and this attracted a big crowd. We also enjoyed this.

The hotel itself is lovely and the gardensare very pretty. It creates a very relaxing atmosphere. The staff are more than friendly and extremely helpful.

We were very happy with our room. It had modern facilities. It also had tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom is spacious and the shower is nice and powerful.

The swimming pool is of a good standard and also has a jacuzzi which we took great advantage of, a steam room and a sauna, There is a gym also which seemed well enough equipped.

We ate in both the bar and the restaurant and the food in both was delicious and of a high quality.

The hotel is reasonably priced and the location is good. It is a small distance outside the town, just down the road from Westport House.

This hotel we noticed caters really well for children and as it was mid-term break there were many families staying there. There is a very well run and carefully supervised kids club. I was very impressed when I saw the staff taking the regestration for the club asking each parent individually if their child/children had any medical problems they should know about and taking notes of everything. There is also a detailed time-table of the kids club displayed for each day, it seemed exciting and fun from what I read. It starts out with "a breafast train" at about 9.30am!

I would recommend this hotel for families or for a quiter stay out of the town. I did see one large hen party staying there however, who seemed to be enjoying themselves but not in a disruptive or annoying way!

Thank you for a lovely stay Westport Woods hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Collette F
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Had a wedding in a nearby hotel and decided to stay in the Westport woods. Reception staff were very helpful and friendly as were the bar staff. Our room was clean, warm and comfortable, really could not have asked for more. Breakfast was perfect and there was a large selection. Couldn't have really asked for more maybe apart from updating to a keycard system as opposed to the large key and keyring (I'm very picky!!)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple