“Very enjoyable stay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dublin, Ireland
“Very enjoyable stay”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My fiancé and I stayed here for three nights at the end of October. We were really pleased with the hotel.

There is lots of parking out in front of the hotel. It was difficult enough to find a space on the Friday and Saturday night as there was live music in the bar and this attracted a big crowd. We also enjoyed this.

The hotel itself is lovely and the gardensare very pretty. It creates a very relaxing atmosphere. The staff are more than friendly and extremely helpful.

We were very happy with our room. It had modern facilities. It also had tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom is spacious and the shower is nice and powerful.

The swimming pool is of a good standard and also has a jacuzzi which we took great advantage of, a steam room and a sauna, There is a gym also which seemed well enough equipped.

We ate in both the bar and the restaurant and the food in both was delicious and of a high quality.

The hotel is reasonably priced and the location is good. It is a small distance outside the town, just down the road from Westport House.

This hotel we noticed caters really well for children and as it was mid-term break there were many families staying there. There is a very well run and carefully supervised kids club. I was very impressed when I saw the staff taking the regestration for the club asking each parent individually if their child/children had any medical problems they should know about and taking notes of everything. There is also a detailed time-table of the kids club displayed for each day, it seemed exciting and fun from what I read. It starts out with "a breafast train" at about 9.30am!

I would recommend this hotel for families or for a quiter stay out of the town. I did see one large hen party staying there however, who seemed to be enjoying themselves but not in a disruptive or annoying way!

Thank you for a lovely stay Westport Woods hotel.

2 Thank Collette F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Ireland
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Had a wedding in a nearby hotel and decided to stay in the Westport woods. Reception staff were very helpful and friendly as were the bar staff. Our room was clean, warm and comfortable, really could not have asked for more. Breakfast was perfect and there was a large selection. Couldn't have really asked for more maybe apart from updating to a keycard system as opposed to the large key and keyring (I'm very picky!!)

Drogheda, Ireland
Reviewed October 20, 2012

i stayed in the westport woods hotel, and i have to say it was an enjoyable experience, staff were friendly, food was good, and hotel was fresh and clean and in a great location. the only downfall was breakfast was cold and some other guests actually had to complain.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank darabrook
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Don't normally comment, unless I've something to say - so will just say it - this hotel is awful.

Food is of the lowest quality I have ever experienced in a hotel in Ireland, both breakfast and dinner were cheap, cheap, cheap (not the prices mind you @ €30pp for set dinner). Tomato ketchup was bright pink, cheap crap. And I was interested to see they rolled out the fresh strawberries on Saturday mornings only for the bigger crowd - we had the sad misfortune to stay 3 nights and have dinner twice.

The hotel cleaning also leaves alot to be desired, from a cigarette butt on the lobby floor for two days to the piece of cucumber on the stairs for two days also. Crockery not clean either - bits floating in jugs, food stuck on plates etc. Makes me wonder what the kitchen is like...

There was grit in the jacuzzi which we could not figure out where it had come from in our swimming suis until we went for an early morning swim and noticed it had settled on the bottom (gross), floor tiles in the changing rooms very dirty, showers were filthy with grime from other patrons from the hotel, gym is high tech alright - but is out in the middle of the reception area...

Rooms not much better - door in bathroom would not stay closed/shower temperature would scald you one second and freeze you the next/floor was uneven and tripped a few times/they didnt make the bed even when they came into the room to leave fresh towels/towels were very small. Also, TV had only a few stations, batteries kept falling out of the romote as they had been sellotaped on, but it had worn off.... Ugh.

Staff were uninformed about locality, even though they were local - just could not have been bothered. Had no maps of the location. They gave us a crap room, with tiny little windows you had to stand on tippy toes to look out, even though i advised them it was our anniversary and one of my family were getting married there next year and I was going to see what the hotel was like in advance of making several room bookings... We will not be staying.

My advice - dont stay there!! There seem to be plenty of lovely quality guest houses and hotels in the locality, and Westport has so much more to offer. Don't spoil your stay by staying there!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
8 Thank PBM2012
Michael L, Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear PBM2012
Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel on Tripadvisor. I always value receiving customer feedback, both positive and negative, as it helps us to continually improve the service we provide.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, as there is continuous investment in the hotel. The majority of rooms have been ungraded over the past 2 years.

My kitchen team have completed Failte Ireland refresher training and receive continuous training upon menu planning and cooking practices.

Our leisure centre is an award winning centre with maintenance & cleanliness being of the utmost importance.

We constantly try and improve the service provided to our guests and due to your observations, we will review what you've written and will try to ensure these situations are improved in the future.

It is unfortunate that you mention that people should not consider the hotel, as they will spoil their visit to Westport. I do not feel this is true, as can be seen from the many positive reviews on Tripadvisor we have received and also due to the number of people who return to us year after year.

I hope that you will return to us in the future to experience the hotel as others have.

Kind Regards
Michelle Walsh
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

The hotel location is quite good. The hotel overall could do with a little updating however it's the lack of cleanliness on the crockery which is disappointing. We were entertained by "dead and deader" a pair of country singers which thought a funeral was a rave. I often saw more life in a block of ice and it was a pity that we "forced" them to play for so long! Little did they know that we were preoccupied with the setting up of the breakfast buffet in the lobby! Yes at 11pm. It was good to see that they allowed the dried fruit to be exposed to the overnight air and also to allow the honey to "breathe" - open jar with spoon in it! You might wonder how the bowls were dirty in the morning if you didn't listen to "dead and deader". If you are asking for medium Steak it's probably better to send the chef an alarm clock as he obviously falls asleep while he's cooking it!! Don't go for dessert either! There are plenty good restaurants in Westport which don't charge a €10 supplement for steak! ( perhaps they wouldn't have to charge so much extra if they turned the heat down on the steak and gave you medium rather than burned! Management take note, these are small issues which won't cost to rectify. Ye have a good hotel, just get the basics right!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank MartinIrl
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed October 12, 2012

On the 31st of August, I had my wedding reception in the Westport Woods Hotel, Westport. We really could not have chosen a better venue for our big day, everything was perfect. The staff, service, quality of food was spectacular. Joanne, owner/manager of the Hotel was a pleasure to work with over the last year and was in constant contact with me answering any questions/queries I had. With approximately 200 guests, I could not believe the praise that everyone was giving, they had a brilliant day and loved the hotel so much. I just want to say a massive thank you again to everyone in the Westport Woods Hotel, our wedding was everything I had dreamed it would be and ye were all so good to us. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone's wedding venue in the future. You really would be making the right choice by choosing the Westport Woods Hotel . Your rest easy knowing that everything will be great!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Marguerite O
Reviewed September 21, 2012

26 mums of all ages spent 3 nights in Westport Woods Hotel and would definitely return. We came from Co. Meath. Although we were a big crowd and there was a wedding on with their guests arriving check-in was quick and effortless, everything was prepared for us. I had a wonderful room and the comfiest bed (massive size) I ever had, I looked forward to going to bed it was so comfy ! The food was lovely and the menu was quite extensive, choice on all courses and staff willing to meet any dietary requirement. Ample parking for our coach and a friendly staff. If needed Westport town only a pleasant walk away . Near to many sightseeing pleasures, Westport House, Croagh Patrick, Ballintubber Abbey even Achill a nice drive away. They even put on Bingo for our group and another group at night . Entertainment in the bar was the usual - music, music, music - I went to my comfy bed !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends