“unbelievable value andservice”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Derry, United Kingdom
“unbelievable value andservice”
Reviewed March 31, 2011

my family stayed here in august 2010 and found exceptional value for money with clean rooms an excellent leisure centre and a nothing is too much trouble attitude

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank joemcl4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Dublin
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights after St.Patricks Day bank holiday so the kids club was running (I think it only runs during mid term and school holidays,or if travelling with a large group with lots of kids). The toddler room catered for our 2 year old, who was delighted having other little ones to play with and Siobhan,the KO was absolutely great with him, we felt completely at ease leaving him in her care! Our 6 yr old was thrilled going off with the 'breakfast train' in the morning, followed by games and then swimming. She also took part in the arts and crafts and dvd in the evening time. It is all included in the price of hotel visit, unlike some other hotels where there is an extra fee for these facilities.
The hotel itself was a standard 3 star hotel, decor was a little dated but the place was clean! Our family room was very spacious, always a bonus when travelling with kids.
Leisure falicities were excellent, big swimming pool, kids pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room.
Breakfast was ok, usual buffet style with standard selection. We didnt have dinner at the hotel, but ate both nights in The Shebeen, a lovely traditional thatched roof pub a few minutes from the hotel on the Coast Road, which has a cosy atmosphere and excellent food. Highly recommend it to anyone staying in Westport!
We booked with Goireland and got a great deal of 2 nights B&B for family of 4 for €150, so all in all a good value break with the added bonus of the kids club!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Bordeaux, France
Reviewed March 19, 2011

The restaurant was a disaster, food was frozen and not cooked properly. Breakfast didnt stat till 8am following morning-not good if you need to get on the road- only thing is at 8.20am restaurant in darkness and no breakfast- same guy serving dinner, in the bar and behind desk. looks nice from the outside , thats it

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JackieM32
Michael Lennon, General Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Dear JackieM32

Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that you felt your recent stay in my hotel reminds you of Fawlty Towers 2. I am not sure that I or my colleagues would agree with you.

I understand you were delayed from departing early, but you do not state whether you requested an early breakfast. We will always accommodate our guests with an early breakfast and many of our guests do ask for this service. The food we serve is not frozen but if you could explain a little bit better the exact experience I would gladly try and look after you upon a return visit.

It is unfortunate that you were not able to experience or mention my award winning Beech Club Leisure Centre or Ceder Spa. I'm sure that they would have given a more positive view of my business. Nevertheless your comments will be discussed at my next customer care meeting and we will try and improve our communications in the areas that you mention.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Westport.

Mayo, Ireland
Reviewed March 13, 2011

We took part in the first ever Ride & Tide equestrian festival run by the Westport Woods Hotel earlier this month and it was just fantastic. I was horse riding, on one of the Westport Woods horses. Others were cycling on mountain bikes and some kayakers joined us in the sea as well. We started and finished at the hotel and in between rode on roads, lanes, deserted mountain tracks and byways through some of the most spectacular scenery the West of Ireland has to offer. Anyone who hasn't ridden through The Skelp and looked down over the glorious panorama of Clew Bay has missed something very special.

After a tough 5 hours in the saddle, and a welcome complimentary hot port everyone staying in the hotel went straight to the lovely spa for a sauna to recover!

Really well organised event. We're looking forward to the next one.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2011

A fantastic Hen Weekend was had at the Westport Wood Hotel. All the organising of the Fancy Dress Murder Mystery was sorted by the extremely helpful staff there. Even after arriving we found the staff to be very accommodating and approachable which helped make the weekend a great success. Very nice grounds, bar area and leisure centre.....all of which we made use off :) As a large party we were put in basement rooms which were fine for somewhere to lay your head given the type of weekend we were there for! I'd be curious to have seen the upstairs rooms in comparison. All in all, a great weekend and staff that will do what they can to ensure you enjoy your stay! :)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Westport, Ireland
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights as a result of a special offer. On arriving at the Westport Woods we found our room very chilly and gloomy. Energy saving bulbs meant that the light was never enough to read by in comfort. Pillows were old and lumpy. Sofa had seen better days. Some curtain hooks missing so curtains could not be closed completely. Remote control for television missing. We asked if we could order sandwiches and coffee and found later that we were to be charged for room service although we had them sitting in the reception area. Asked for heat to be turned on as the weather had become extremely cold. Woke up in middle of the night freezing cold and even though we put on the extra blanket provided we were chilled to the bone. Complained to reception in the morning and were told that the heat had been turned on but overheard duty manager say to receptionist that it hadn't been. At this stage we had to go and sit in our car with the heater on to try and warm ourselves. Dining room grubby, service terrible. Second morning we had finished eating what we had served ourselves with from the breakfast bar and still had not been asked to order tea or coffee. Staff seemed more interested in the large groups than in us. Windows of dining room disgustingly grubby with handprints all over. One last point - cleaner was still cleaning our bathroom when we arrived back from breakfast and were horrified to see that she cleaned toilet without using disposable gloves and then replaced the glasses without washing her hands. We tried to stay out of the hotel for as long as possible it was so awful. We had stayed before and had had to ask to change rooms but we thought that it was just a one-off and that we would have a comfortable stay. The hotel make a point of their efforts to reduce their carbon footprint. What a laugh! We more than made it larger by having to sit in our car with the engine running. Keeping your guests cold does not constitute being greener! As I am asthmatic you can imagine that I was less that impressed.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tellithowitis45
Michael Lennon, General Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Dear Tellithowitis45

Thank you for your recent comments about your stay at my hotel last October, nearly five months ago. I understand your difficulty with regard to the energy saving CFL lights that I use in my bedrooms, in particular areas of my standard bedrooms the lighting is not good enough for reading but when all of the lights are on, seven in total in these bedrooms giving out over 100 watts, there is adequate lighting to read a newspaper. In my recently upgraded deluxe bedrooms, I have added a double bulb light fitting over the bed to make it easier to read while in bed. I also agree with you that my sofas in these bedrooms which are twelve years old need to be upgraded. This Winter I have commenced refurbishment of the majority of these sofas and curtains. I have 122 bedrooms and each one has a TV with remote control. If from time to time that one should go missing, my accommodation department has replacement remote controls. This should have been checked before your arrival and replaced. You should not have been charged a room charge for service of tea & sandwiches in our Lobby.

Over the last number of years I have invested in new heating controls, wall and ceiling insulation and both wood pellet and gas boilers which have greatly improved the level of heating in my hotel. Actually most of my customers tell my colleagues and I that the hotel is too warm. We control the levels of heating by zoning particular areas with timers and thermostatic controls. I believe in 99% of cases that this works efficiently and effectively.

You seem to have got a raw deal with regard to service at breakfast and not offered tea or coffee on time. My restaurant colleagues are trained to welcome guests and explain the breakfast buffet or take an order for items that do not hold well on the buffet, such as porridge, fish, scrambled and poached eggs.

My accommodation colleagues have cleaning procedures which use different clothes and disinfection chemicals to clean the toilet, bath, shower and sink. Glasses are cleaned in a glass washer where they are hygienically sterilised before use. I will review these procedures with my accommodation team to ensure they are happening correctly. We do not use rubber gloves as there should be no cross contamination in our process.

I am very proud to be part of the EPA sponsored Green Hospitality Awards Program which independently audits the annual energy use, the landfill waste and recycling streams and of course the litres of water per guest stay per night in my hotel. This helps us to reduce our carbon footprint and reduce the utility costs and thereby giving you our customers better value. I do not like hearing that we are not doing a good job in this area and that our communications are upsetting our guests with regard to our carbon footprint.

In nearly every case where our services do not meet our guests expectations, either my colleagues or I will ensure that we get things turned around as quickly as possible and ensure an enjoyable holiday here in Westport. I believe it is my duty to 'tell it how it is' and find it hard to believe that we did not try and improve your stay with us better than you describe in your comments above.

I have send you a direct message and await your reply as I would like to discuss some of the issues in more detail. I believe you are from Westport as it is mentioned in your Tripadvisor description. You have stayed in our hotel before and got moved to another bedroom upon request but have not commented upon this stay on Tripadvisor, even though you are a member for nearly four years now. I look forward to having a chat and apologise in advance for any mis-communication caused during your stay with us.

Lifford
Reviewed March 2, 2011

Just back from a few nights stay in the Westport Woods Hotel. Have to say i had mixed feelings about the Hotel. On arrival I noticed how modern and welcoming the bench cafe/bar was, had high hopes as from the outside of the hotel everything else looked the same. However once I walked into the reception/lobby area i felt i was in a communal area of a retirement home with high backed armchairs, posters about bridge,bingo,dances etc.
Feelings didnt improve much when reached our room!! Looked like my grandmothers sitting room which equals very dated! Big pink faded lampshades, outdated furniture & beds, curtains might have been in fashion 20 years ago and I think i have thrown the same model of Tv out years ago because it was so huge & dated. But as we didn't intended to spend much time in the room we decided to live with it.
Evening meal in the bar with the set menu was pretty basic and as someone of the younger generation carrot cake, lemon meringue, profiteroles and a selection of ice cream didn't exactly excite me. Just a warning also the meal may be included in your price but an 8oz steak which was probably the most appitizing main course was €8 extra.
However it was not all negatives im glad to say.
We decided to avail of the hotel spa and must say it was a great experience made all the better by the friendly and very capable Claire. Lovely modern facilities and relaxing surroundings. Also the gym and pool facilities were excellent. The gym had a great selection of equipment which was all modern. The pool area was clean and well kept with sauna/steam room & jacuzzi all excellent. A final word of praise would have to be for the hotel staff who were all very helpful and went out of their way to make us feel welcome.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Adagio989

Thank you for going to the trouble to make comments about your stay at my hotel in Westport.

You seemed to have positive and negative impressions upon my Bench Cafe Bar and Lobby which overlooks both Westport House Lough and the stunning Croagh Patrick. At certain times of the year we promote to both the younger market at weekends and our loyal Golden Years mid week business, which partakes in bingo, bowling and bridge. At the same time we have get-togethers for people whom like to go horse riding upon local beaches, partake in adventure pursuits, such as archery, pellet shooting and rope climbing on our own ropes course beside the hotel. Both groups are promoted to with brochures and posters in our lobby. Many of our guests compliment the high backed armchairs and couches in the same lobby with its own natural warm log fire.

You stayed in one of our standard bedrooms which we sell at best value rates all year round. We also sell deluxe bedrooms which have been recently renovated and offer all of the decor and flat screen TV image that probably fits whats you were impressed with in our Bench Cafe Bar.

I am reviewing with my Chef our bar menu and intend to offer a new Tapas menu with some homemade deserts. We both are working hard to source as much as is practical produce from local food producers, seafood, local lamb and organic vegetables. If you have any suggestions of what you would like to see on this new Cafe Bar Menu, please let me know.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed our Leisure Centre and Spa. I'll let Clare know that you were happy with her Spa offering and experience. My colleagues work hard and really try to ensure everyone that stays with us enjoys themselves and I am delighted to see that you noticed this. I look forward to welcoming you back to Westport soon again.