“Excellent service and value for money!”

The Castlecourt Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Westport
Reviewed July 31, 2010

2nd stay this summer. This time I stayed for 3 B&B 2 Dinners from 27th July 2010 with extended family. 4 rooms booked in total: (2 doubles and 2 family rooms). This was a package deal at a discounted rate due to my husband's excellent negotiation skills: 3B&B, 2D for 350 euro per room booked - normal price ~ 550 euro.
Lesson here: NEGOTIATE THE PRICE - 350 is a sufficient amount to pay for this short break.

Rooms - ask for a spacious room when booking to avoid smaller rooms which do exist. Regardless of their size rooms are well presented, very clean and have great flat screen tvs and lovely extras e.g. tea/coffee, toiletries etc. Only negative is that the rooms can be very warm in the evenings - even if the windows have been open all day. Try to book rooms at the ends of corridors ...they are significantly cooler (as I found out to my advantage). For 40 euro extra per night you can upgrade to a 4 poster bedroom with a few small extras. If the price was around 15-20 euro I feel more people would be willing to pay for this. I noticed that these rooms were mostly vacant. 40 is too excessive.

Public Areas. Reception area very nice lovely big chandeliers and luxury leather seating and natural stone floors. Reception staff very accommodating. Library seating area nicest within the hotel plus some great books for adults and children. Other areas are also very nicely kept with fresh flower displays. Water fountain nice touch when arriving at the hotel - FIX the LIGHTS on it to make that bit more dramatic!!

Restaurant (Orchard) Breakfast was excellent! Superb choice of food in great abundance plus one of the best breakfast menus I have seen offering french toast, fish of the day, kippers, fresh porridge, vegetarian full breakfast etc. Staff were extremely facilitating. Dinner was also better than expected - certainly superior quality to the hotel's 3 star classification.Menu changed daily and offered very good variety of options. Very good kids menu offering real food choices-though this remained the same each day. No compaints whatsoever! 5 euro extra per person to dine in the Plaza's restaurant and in my opinion it is worth it...excellent food and service...the extra effort in food quality and service is evident. We had a family birthday one day and during the meal the staff brought out a birthday cake for us with candles lit, and they seemed to enjoy the surprise as well as us!

Kids Club - Very enthusiastic staff involved with the kids and plenty of activities during the day and evenings. Really enjoyed the disco. However, bouncy castle was promised and this did not materialise. The big Buzz Bee character at dinner and breakfast was a nice idea.

Leisure Facilities- Nice sized pool with separate areas for kids and adults plus a swimming lane and jacuzzi. Changing areas are good. The pool area would be a lot more impressive if they cleaned the windows inside and out - this clearly has not been done for some time! WHERE IS THE MEN'S SPINNER??? for drying wet swimwear. The women have one!!!!

Spa - Some of us used the spa during our stay. Staff were willing to negotiate somewhat with the price of treatments for a small group. The spa facilities were wonderful and staff were very attentive. We had full body massages and felt very pampered and relaxed afterwards. Therapists were welcoming, friendly and extremely professional. A MUST if you are staying at the resort. Only small complaint was the clarity of the water in the outdoor jacuzzi / rock pool.

Bar/Entertainment - bar was well presented and bar staff were very friendly. The night time entertainment was well below par. The hotel should invest in a good entertainer/ band or young traditional group. Ireland is full of good quality musicians and entertainers all desperate for the work!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank eyerite2u
Write a ReviewReviews (1,763)

Reviewed July 19, 2010

Stayed here for the third time on the 27th of june for four nights.Found the staff more than obliging in all areas particularly when serving breakfast.Arrangements of flowers in different areas of the hotel further enhanced its welcoming atmosphere. Many seating areas indoors and outdoors give a very relaxed feeling.Extreamly good value for money,central location and definatly intend to return.Spa sula an extra luxury attached to this hotel with a pampering from staff you will never forget.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank francescoade
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Well where to start! I was sharing a "triple room" with two of my friends for a weekend for €80 per night per person. For €240 a night we got two double beds and a sofa bed which could not even be opened due to the unbuilt desk in the room! As no extra sheets were even provided for this third bed. The hotel were clearly trying to give us a double room for the price of a triple. Then onto the breakfast included the next morning. Our waiter was a guy named steve who grunted good morning at us was trying to walk away while we were ordering forgot our toast an tea(we had to ask another member of staff for this after our breakfast arrived) and who promptly told my friend "this is a five star hotel we don't butter the toast" five star yeah right. Apparently there is also only one corkscrew in the hotel as when I asked to borrow one from a waitress in the (closed) restaurant, she told me she would not lend it to me and that I shud bring the bottles down to her. To be honest really this is just the tip of the iceberg. I have honestly never been treated so badly by hotel staff nor felt so ripped off in my life. Westport is such a wonderful place and there are so many lovely b&bs to stay in. Don't bother with the castlecourt.

5  Thank Kglynn
castlecourt1, Manager at The Castlecourt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2010

Dear Guest

Than you for sharing your comments following your recent stay with us in the Castlecourt Hotel.

I was most disappointed to read of the problems which you experienced during your stay and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise. The Castlecourt rates are generally extremely competitive however you were staying on possibly the most expensive, busiest week of the year and I regret that due to human error you were allocated a family room with sofa bed rather that the standard triple room which you had booked.

I would like to apologise for the problems which you experience in our Orchard Restaurant. I can see from your comments that the standard of service on this occasion was not up to the normal high standard which we pride ourselves upon and for this I am truly sorry.

In relation to the cork screw all of our staff are equipped and carry their own personal waiter’s knife (corkscrew) and I regret that the member of staff which you spoke to was reluctant to give you hers as she was going off duty and had a lift waiting outside for her. She should have referred you to our reception desk where a complimentary corkscrew would have been provided for your convenience.

I would like to assure you that your experience was genuinely an isolated one and I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in The Castlecourt Hotel.

Reviewed July 14, 2010

3 nights bed, breakfast and 1 evening meal, which was for the adults only, cost us 514euro. We had only one child with us. Found the room small, compact, dated and the bathroom door looked like it had been kicked in at some stage. We could not lock the door for fear of not getting it open again. We where on the 3rd floor and the lift to the 3rd floor was not working whilst we where here and then the lift from 2nd floor to reception decided to stop working, therefore we had to carry a rather large suitcase down 3 flights of stairs. It took about 10minutes to get from the ground floor to our room. Staff where very friendly and pleasant. Overall we were not impressed for the amount we had paid and expected a bit more to tell you the truth.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank deery844
Reviewed July 1, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights with my husband, our 2 kids and other family members. This was our 2nd time here and it was so enjoyable. The hotel itself is spotless and so comfortable and the staff are so friendly and helpful. We dined in the restaurant the 1st night and the food was lovely. Breakfast each morning was excellent with so much choice and we were served so quickly. Overall an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank snicranaill
Reviewed June 25, 2010

We had our wedding in this hotel at the end of May and stayed in the hotel for three nights. As almost all of our guests were travelling from the UK, they too all stayed in the hotel. First of all the location is fabulous, you are a short walk from all the shops, restaurants and nightlife that Westport has to offer. From check-in to check-out we were all looked after extremely well. My cousin asked if she could put her son's medication into one of their fridges and they instead had a fridge sent up to her room. A lot of our guests arrived on an early flight and were in Westport before 9am, the hotel went out of their way to get them all checked in early so they had the luxury of their rooms. Anything we asked was done with a smile and everyone was so friendly.
Food was outstanding, service was second to none and I can honestly say that we didn't have one complaint from any of our 100 guests about any aspect of the hotel.

If that doesn't recommend it, I don't know what will!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2010

This was a one-night stay. The rate, a per person rate, was high at 75 Euros per person. My wife and I were given a room on the third floor at the back of the hotel. Its view was of the garbage bins, and we could smell them immediately. We returned to the reception desk and, after explaining the situation, were moved to a room on the second floor. At about 10:00 we realized we'd been put in a room directly above the hotel hall where a wedding was taking place. The music and the deejay were as loud as a boombox in the room, literally shaking our light fixtures. It went on till 3:00 a.m., and we did not get to sleep till the wedding reception was over. We eventually shut the window, which turned our room into an airless box, as there was no A/C so no circulation. When on checking out I complained of the noise, I was told I should have phoned down and I could have been moved. That would have been a second room change, and I cannot imagine a room in this hotel where the ear-splitting volume would not have been a problem. I expect a lot of complaints were made: when I was checking out, the man in front of me was being promised an upgrade "next time" in recompense for whatever complaint he had made (it had to have been the all-night noise). This night really was a nightmare, the worst experience we've ever had in a good run of experiences in Irish hotels. The room was nothing special for the high price, and the worker who handled my first request for a move was a bit snooty. I must suspect that he knew exactly where he was putting us when he moved us over the wedding reception hall.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Canadian027
castlecourt1, Manager at The Castlecourt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2010

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us in The Castlecourt Hotel.
I was most disappointed to learn that you were disturbed by the noise from the wedding party celebrations. This was the first wedding which we have ever held in our restaurant and the entertainment that took place afterwards affected 8 of our rooms of which we should have offered to guests which were attending the celebrations and with their prior knowledge. I can see from your comments that on the occasion of your stay this was not the case and for this I am truly sorry.

I would like to assure you that this was a genuine oversight on our behalf as we do not normally hold weddings in our restaurant and our receptionist genuinely overlooked this matter when he re allocated your room.
I would welcome the opportunity to be able to contact you directly and hopefully be able to restore your faith in the Castlecourt Hotel