“Fantastic for families”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Westport
Wicklow
“Fantastic for families”
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Beautiful hotel with great facilities. Superb restraunt food excellent, friendly staff especially at reception-no request too small. Lovely swimming pool and gym-for those who wish to avail of if! Rooms clean and spacious. Great kids club to keep the little ones entertained. Also great nighttime entertainment for children and a special allocated bar for the parents! Great for families! Highly recommoned it and fantastic value packages available! This is my second visit and I look forward to going again. Located in Westport - great base for visiting Mayo.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Polish first
Kildare
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Unfortunately I have not been as lucky as the other reviewers. I am sure I would write a wonderful review if I got the same treatment, room etc. as they have received. But that was not the case. I booked into this hotel for two nights for a wedding, really looking forward to it. On arrival at the hotel the receptionist we went to obviously was having a bad day, as he was not very friendly or helpful. We got a room on the 3rd Floor, just a little bigger than a box room but did have an on suite. The toilet was an experience in so far as every time one used it, it moved not very comforting. On flushing it we had to lift the lid of the cistern as it was so noisy the people in the next room would here it. If the cold tap in the hand basin was turned on during the filling of the cistern it did not work, it was either the tap working or the cistern filling but not both. The shower was very poor. Very disappointing. I suggest that these smaller rooms should be put on the internet also, so that people will be aware that they may get one of them and not the ones on their site, or at least be told on arrival that they were getting a small room. Also I suggest they should charge lesser for these rooms, room prices are not like with like. If it is a delux room one books it is extra then it should also go the other way.
Cannot honestly say that the staff were friendly as this was not our experience. Both of our card keys stopped working at the same time and we were almost accused that it was our fault. Then the porter said that sometime they decode for no reason.
On the day we were leaving, the receptionist I went to took four telephone calls while I was trying to pay my bill, not very professional. We must have been very unfortunate wish I could say I was happy with this hotel. Would I recommend it, I will mark yes but would have to tell that they should be aware of small rooms and check out the room before they booked in. Would I return can not say for sure.

1 Thank KildareTony
County Mayo, Ireland
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Stayed here with friends for a weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great Service a nd Friendlu Staff. Rooms could do with an upgrade. Beds not as comfortable as its sister hotel the Plaza. Great music in bar on a Sunday night

Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed September 16, 2009

For the price they charge to stay at this hotel, I was disgusted with the way we were treated.
The Receiptionst was not at all friendly, infact I would go as far as to say quite rude! She wanted money up front for staying there, Im sure you dont pay for your stay till your leaving! And in actual fact, when we were leaving the next day, everyone was paying for there stay! (Why were we asked to pay when we arrived there?)
The Breakfast was so small, they brought out the toast long before the small fry, when we asked for them to give us fresh hot toast, the waiter brought the same toast back burnt!!
The key for our room would'nt work so we brought it down to the receiptionst to get it re-set and she blamed me for leaving it beside a mobile phone (which I did'nt)!?! Like where was her customer friendly service she is meant to give??
The decor of the room was dull and old looking, was not nice at all.
We paid €170 for one nights stay, it was the worst 4 star hotel I have ever stayed in!
I have stayed in better B&B's where the service was way more friendly and the breakfast was fit to be eaten by a human being and not a small child!

6 Thank LopLu
Monaghan
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Hotel was fabulous! stayed for 2 nights was at a wedding in the hotel and had a brilliant weekend.... Staff were friendly and helpful leisure centre was great and the room had lots of space and was very comfortable. Only minor issue was the location of the rooms a little confusing and lifts were a ggod walk so may be a prob for older people or people with kids. Food was fab and had a really nice waitress. Overall would definitely go back!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed August 27, 2009

I would highly recommend the Castlecourt. The staff are one of its main assets - pleasant , helpful, a sense of humour and well presented.
Everything we needed was in the room - iron, kettle, large flat screen TV, radio/CD player,
clock, safe. Bathroom was spotless, spacious with lovely Jacuzzi bath.
The beds are so comfortable just heaven.
There is a choice of 2 dining rooms The food in both was excellent. Children are consulted and in our case loved the bit of attention.
The bar staff are top class for friendliness, speed ,attention, & humour
We enjoy the leisure centre. I didn't get to the spa this time.
We have been there many times for short breaks,reunions, birthdays and I never had a complaint. I would love to afford to go more regularly.

1 Thank BobbyH2009
Belfast
Reviewed August 20, 2009

My husband, myself and our two children stayed for three nights BB & 2 evening meals. We had connecting rooms. The rooms were lovely, very spacious and kept very clean by housekeeping. I have 2 complaints about the rooms. Firstly, they did get very warm and stuffy during the night and as there is no air condidioning, I opened the windows. Secondly, the deliveries from 7am in the morning woke us all up! It is totally usderstandable that a hotel has to have deliveries this early, but the delivery area should be well away from the bedrooms.

The elevators are something out of the ark!

The food in the Orchard Restaurant was lovely in the evenings, but breakfast seemed to be a bit of a free for all some mornings. The breakfast staff seemed to be rushed off their feet, but I did have to ask for our breakfast order to be taken on two out of the three mornings we were there.

The leisure centre was a godsend as the weather was very wet when we were there. I treated myself to a massage in the spa. The spa was fabulous.

The bar was very busy the night we went into it, but at 40 years old, I was by far the youngest person in the bar!! I think there must have been a coach party of older people staying in the hotel when we were there.

The hotel is very close to the town centre, not even a two minute walk. We spent a day at Westport House and Park. Make a point of visiting the house, it is definately worth looking around. The kids had a great time there, but we had to leave early afternoon as the weather turned very wet. We also drove to Achill Island - the beach was beautiful, even if we were in our rain coats and wellies!

I would recommend this hotel to family and friends and I would stay there again, providing my room was not near the delivery area. The sister hotel is just right beside The Castlecourt (The Westport Plaza). It looked equally appealing as also uses the leisure and spa facilities.

1 Thank MrsGandWeeBoo