“Weekend in the West”

The Castlecourt Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Westport
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed in the hotel on Thursday, 19 and Sunday 22 July 2012. We got a great welcome from the reception staff. The room on both nights was great and although the hotel was very busy there was no night time noise. We had dinner in the very busy bistro on Sunday night, great service and the chef makes his own burgers.The breakfast was fantastic - as much as you wanted to eat- The dining room staff were friendly and smiling. The owners (Ann and Joe Corcoran) were setting up tables for breakfast on both of the mornings. We will be back

Room Tip: Anywhere is good, we were near the leisure centre on one night and at the top of the stairs on the s...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
castlecourt1, Manager at The Castlecourt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience of our hotel with others.

I was delighted to learn that you had the opportunity to dine in The Courtyard Bistro during your stay and that you enjoyed the experience.

We look forward to having the pleasure of extending the same warm welcome to you on the occasion of your next visit to us
Kind Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,763)

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed here for two nights, in July 2012. we were on a 'charity walk' to the top of Croagh Patrick. Staff were so friendly and well trained. Food was excellent and while the hotel was busy (three hen-nights, one wedding and our group of fund-raisers) the service never lapsed and we were made to feel as if we werte the only two staying there! A massage and relaxation in Sula Spa, after the ascent/decent of 'the Reek' was more than welcome and, again, the staff there were really friendly and welcoming, rather than the 'stand-offish' or 'superior' attitude that we sometimes encounter in Spas.
We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear tend to be quieter
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review The Castlecourt Hotel following your recent 2 night break .
We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the food excellent, Staff friendly, well trained and that you were able to relax and enjoy a massage in Spa Sula following your Charity Climb of Croagh Patrick.
We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to The Castlecourt Hotel in the not too distant future
Kindest Regards

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I am resisting the urge to write an essay on how wonderful our recent family trip to the Castlecourt Hotel was. Accommodating our extended families requirement of 5 rooms all together from very small babies to the grandparents was no problem, we were altogether on the same floor. Personally, my room was a suite with jacuzzi and fourposter bed. All the rooms were very clean and modern, lots of space and couches. The cleaning staff were very polite and again accommodating.

The food, oh the food, where can I start? Breakfast was a feast of fruit, bread (you have to try the mini danish pastries and croisants) eggs and of course the full Irish and other treats. Everything was tasty and the hot food was hot. We did enjoy an evening meal included in our package and I can safely say that out of 13 people eating at our table, young and old, everything was beautiful. The seafood was especially fresh and tasty and the wine selection was great.

We utilised the swimming pool everyday, again it was modern and kept very clean, changing rooms were excellent with facilities for babies etc. A fully equiped gym although I confess I only went once and only on the threadmill. (I was on holiday after all). Towels were provided but remember to bring a hat! Sauna, steam room and jacuzzi for the adults is always a treat. I didnt get to use the spa, however my parents did and came out completely refreshed and relaxed after a few hours and spoke very highly of the staff and facilities.

The hotel provides kiddie activites and a DVD session in the evenings, we didnt use however plenty of notice around the hotel. We enjoyed a few drinks in the bar and the lounge area was superbly comfortable with lots of couches and chairs to curl up with the complimentary newspaper or a book (managed this for a few minutes anyway). For those who like appearances, there are the most amazing fresh flower displays around the reception and lounge areas.

The location of the hotel was perfect for lots of reasons, we strolled down the town popping in and out of the shops (the locals were great chatters), we popped into a few of the many pubs and we were only a few minutes from from the quays and the fabulous Westport House where the adults revisited their childhood. Our group enjoyed, laser clay pigeon shooting, bumpy slides, train rides, swan boats, ziplining and zorbing. The log Fume water ride was a great attraction and of course the house itself steeped in history. Close to Achill Island and to Castlebar for the hardcore shoppers.

All in all, this was just great and really and truely the staff could not do enough for us. We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lovemycom4t

Dear Guest

I would like to start by offering my sincere thanks to you and your extended family for all your kind comments following your recent stay with us here in The Castlecourt Hotel.

The C Club Leisure Centre is extremely popular with all our guests and Spa Sula offers a chance for guests to relax and be pampered so I was delighted to learn that some of your family had the opportunity to avail of these facilities.

We were truly delighted to have been able to cater for all your family requirements and we certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you all back again.

Once again thank you for your comments
Kind regards

Reviewed July 17, 2012

I have to say I could not really fault this hotel. Our room was lovely and breakfast was very good. We had booked a weekend package which included three nights bed and breakfast, two evening meals and also tickets to the Westport music festival for two days. Because I had a problem with my leg we decided to leave a day early. We had only availed of one night of the evening meal so did not expect anythng extra as we decided to leave a day early at one o cloclk but we were not charged for the extra night nor the extra evening meal!! Staff were so courtous and really nice. Will definetly go back !!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Currently travelling with my mum and sister and stayed last night at the Castlecourt. We had a triple share room which was very comfortable with plenty of room. The hotel has car parking too. We had dinner next door at the Westport Plaza bar. The food and service here is excellent. Brekkie at the Castlecourt was lovely. Also the Castlecourt has wonderful artwork adorning its walls. An enjoyable stay.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Just home from a few days at the hotel and have to say this is def not a 4* hotel. We had to move rooms because the first room was musty, small and curtains had cigarette burns. The second room was ok except for the bathroom which was so old fashioned! The staff were lovely though. The breakfast wasnt very nice and we were kept awake on fri night by drunken stags and noise from the nightclub very close by! Definitely a pretty negative experience, and one that we will not be repeating, so disappointed!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Deediddle
castlecourt1, Manager at The Castlecourt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay with us in the Castlecourt Hotel.

I deeply regret that your stay was interrupted by other loud guests which unfortunately can happen on rare occasions in any hotel. We normally have staff or security on duty who monitor and check the corridors to ensure a peaceful nights rest.

I was most concerned to learn of the problems you experienced with your room, as this is not the normal feedback which we receive and I deeply regret that the standard of the room did not reach your expectations.

I would like to thank you for your favorable comments about the staff .

I deeply regret that I did not have the opportunity to speak to you in person at the time however I would greatly welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in The Castlecourt Hotel and would be most grateful if you would contact myself personally or any member of our management team as we would like to have the opportunity to make it up to you in the future.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Just come back from a two night stay at Castlecourt Hotel. The hotel is clean and comfortable and in a very good location. This hotel has all amenities that you would think would make the perfect weekend break - apart from the stag parties! We were rudely interrupted on saturday night whilst sitting in the lounge by one of the stags that was soooo drunk he could barely speak - but could speak enough to be rude and aggressive we had to call on staff to help us remove him from our party. Then there was the sleepless night yes we paid this hotel a lot of money so that we could be awakened at 04.00hrs by constant door slamming and door banging and general rowdyness! When we checked out this morning and complained we were told that we were not alone and that staff had to take/escort some of the stags to there room due to there poor drunken condition!
The Castlecourt hotel needs to decide what type of hotel it wants to be one that caters for familys and couple weekend breaks or one thats caters for hens and stags - Castlecourt you cannot do both decide where your future lies as we will not be staying again!!!!!

Room Tip: ask to be put away from any large groups of people!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jologirl

Dear Guest,

I was most disappointed to read of the problems which you experienced during your stay and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise. I deeply regret that your stay was interrupted by other rude guests which unfortunately can happen on rare occasions in hotels. We normally have staff or security on duty who monitor and check the corridors to ensure a peaceful nights rest.

I would like to thank you for your favorable comments about the hotel and I am delighted that you found the hotel clean and comfortable and were happy with its location.