“Fab Fab FAB!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Westport
Clare Island Lighthouse
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I stayed one night at the lighthouse last week and I loved it. It's very isolated which is exactly what I wanted to blow off the cobwebs. So peaceful and quiet and Roie and Mike made me feel very welcome and couldn't do enough for me. Mike even got up at 4:45 am to help me up to the lighthouse to take photos as I was on crutches and wanted to get good shots of the early morning light. Above and beyond!
Six course meal sitting around one table with the other guests which was nice as I was travelling alone.
I can't recommend this place enough for couples, especially photographers and hill walkers.

Room Tip: There are only a small number of rooms, some in the main lighthouse building, others in the yard.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Tara K

Reviewed August 4, 2014

We embarked on a road trip to mark my other half's 40th birthday and ended our trip at the Clare Island Lighthouse. I can't say enough good things about this place. Its management, Maeve and Gerry are always on hand but never intrusive and is their ease with customers that really add that special touch to the experience. The style of this place really caught my eye and of course its position on a cliff edge on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean is so unique. Dinner is a communal affair and we shared many laughs with our fellow diners last night. The rooms are all different in their orientation and styling and we enjoyed snuggling up in bed with the dancing flames from the fire in the stove. Dinner was splendid and the wine selection more than catered for the varying palettes. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: I think I would pick the Tower Room on our next trip although all rooms are stunning.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin D
Reviewed July 19, 2014

An unbelievable guesthouse in an outstanding Cliffside setting. Would definitely recommend for a two day stay while doing a wild Atlantic way tour, or for a short trip. When we arrived we were immediately treated to tea and scones. They have a good selection of wine and the main meal was great.
The meal was served with all guests around the dining table. It was a set menu of six delightful and wonderfully paired
courses. Absolutely recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Jimmy T
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I got to say it straight away, I loved the Light House and everything about it. There is a definite thrill in the fact that you have to take the ferry, its fast ,getting us there in ten minutes and adds to the feeling of being far away. At the pier Gerry and Maeve were there to great us treating us as their most important guests ever. We drove across the island, as we climbed higher the views became more and more spectacular, eventually we arrived at The Lighthouse. Locked behind closed gates you just long to see inside the cluster of buildings. White walls with red painted windows and doors, in the corner ,standing majestically ,the round tower of the lighthouse. Gerry and Maeve, who run the place took us on a tour, it is spectacular. Simplicity with sophistication, is how I would describe it, every single detail to the highest possible standard ,the views are mind blowing. Our room had the luxury of a large sauna and an exercise bike, but the views take over, you can't help but stare out the window. We settled into our room and then went to the drawing room for tea and scones and met our fellow guests. There were only four of us and we got on famously. Dinner in the dining room was at one table for the four guests, Gerry and Maeve cooked and served. It felt like being at a really nice dinner party in someone s private house, with the added benefit that the hosts loved cooking and loved food. It was delicious. Fish, sorbet ,slow cooked beef served in a bowl, vegetables beautifully presented. Medley of delights to follow. Breakfast was equally good. Any negatives ? Well yes how did you thank Gerry and Maeve who treated us like their best and long last friends. Take a bow Gerry and Maeve, you know how to do it. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Phyll110
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Myself and my husband escaped the madness of a hectic life and headed for Clare Island. It was a good distance from Cork but once we arrived we were glad we had made the effort.
I can only describe the lighthouse as a sanctuary where our hosts made us feel completely at ease and nothing was a problem. The view from our room was a 180 degree of Achill Island and it was spectacular. We could lie in our bed and not even lift our heads from the pillow and admire the view.
During our stay we were fortunate enough to have bad weather and relished the wind and rain lashing against the lighthouse while we snuggled up and got royally pampered!!
Dining with the other guest was actually a really enjoyable experience and we met interesting people from all walks of life. The food and wine was
delicious and there was no rush to wrap up the evening.
I had forgotten how beautiful this part of the world was as we walked to the local pub. The locals were extremely friendly and gave is a great insight of life on the island.
My only disappointment was (it's a mall one) that the open fire in our room wasn't in working order, we were looking forward to that.
However, overall this was a five star experience and something I can tick off my bucket list!!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank michelecork a
Reviewed May 24, 2014

This place is just fantastic. We were on honeymoon around Ireland and booked one night in the Achill view room. We were picked up at the ferry and received the warmest welcome with lovely tea and scones and a tour of the lighthouse. The view from our room was breath taking.
Dinner, wine and breakfast were delicious.The lighthouse is full of little nooks and crannies to explore and our only regret was that we could not have stayed longer. We will be back again soon. Highly recommend this unique experience.

Room Tip: Have a pre dinner drink up in the light house tower and enjoy the views...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Snap83
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We spent a night on Clare Island staying at this wonderful Lighthouse earlier on this week. What an amazing experience and one we will talk about fondly for many years to come. Our hosts Maeve and Gerry were extremely welcoming. A1 scones on arrival - great first impression. Our room, Achill View was exceptional - beautifully furnished and a decent sized bed which is always a bonus! The views across to Achill Island were superb - just being able to sit with a cuppa on the bed and drink in the view......bliss! We walked 12km around the island and stopped off at Sailor's Bar and Hostel for a bite to eat and a few drinks. The owner Karl was extremely friendly, served up a seriously good plate of fish and chips and a bowl of delicious lentil soup and we left on our merry way conscious of building up an appetite for a meal we were confident was going to be worth waiting for. Maeve did not disappoint - each course was a knock out and by the 5th course I thought I was going to combust but we managed to keep going through the cheese plate and petite fours. It was actually a lovely experience not knowing what we were going to get to eat and we never at any point were disappointed. The quality of ingredients and the obvious skill of Maeve & Gerry made this one of the top dining experiences we have ever had! I would encourage anybody reading our review to put this place on your bucket list. Its one of a kind and its rather a cool thing to say you've stayed in a lighthouse - very romantic! Transfers are arranged to and from the Lighthouse so no need to worry about hawking bags around the island. The Ferry trip itself added to the experience, especially as we had never been to Clare Island before. We couldn't get over how friendly everybody we met was, from the guys on the Ferry to the locals we asked for directions at one point from. Hopefully we will be back again one day! Thanks to Maeve and Gerry and their friendly Manager Roie who took our booking. You are definitely one of the West's hidden gems :)

Room Tip: Achill View room the best because of the view - other rooms all very well appointed though.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple