“Plenty of choice and a good atmosphere”
Review of Fishworks Cafe Bar - CLOSED

Fishworks Cafe Bar
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This place is part of the Carlton Atlantic coast hotel. It is on their web site. Phone # is 00353 98 29000
Reviewed October 12, 2013

There's limited eating on the Quay at Westport but since we ate here twice I'd have to give it the thumbs up. Fish and chips first night and a great thick succulent sirloin steak the second. Great staff make you feel at home and the Guinness is excellent.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I am quite a devotee of fish and chips and have to say that theirs is one of the best ever. The fishcake starter was also very good. We opted for the 2 course meal with a glass of wine very good value.

Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I together with our young daughter ate in Fishworks on Friday night as part of our hotel voucher package. I could not recommend this restaurant, quality was poor, service was the worst I've had in years.

On entrance we were handed a limited menu with only a handful of options and no kids menu.

My wife had fish-cakes to start which were bland and bone dry. I had a measly portion of mussels which were over cooked and served in a sauce that was so salty I had to avoid it.

We were then offered the dessert menu.

When we reminded her we had mains still to come she proceeded to clear all the clean cutlery and glassware from the table.

For mains we both had steak which were over-cooked, served with incorrect sides, soggy chips and vegetables swimming in oil. We eventually got our cutlery back which was nice.

Then once again we were offered the dessert menu.

I would have happily challenged our waitress about the poor quality of the food, had she actually bothered to tend to our table. There was a constant movement of staff that seemed to be busy doing nothing. Other tables were awaiting service as we arrived and still as we left.

All in all it took them two hours, three waitresses, one floor manager and one talentless chef to serve two courses of awful food. In the end and in the interest of getting our daughter to bed we cut our losses, settled the bill (which was incorrectly charged) and left without tipping.

If you want food you can actually eat and reasonable service then avoid Fishworks at all costs!

Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We had lunch here after a walk by the harbour. Considering its location to the sea I presumed the fish would be good! I ordered the chowder. There was barely any fish, mostly celery so disappointing. The chowder came with two tiny slices of brown bread which I considered stale. My boyfriend odered a salmon and cream cheese bagel. The bread wasn't toasted and there was barely any cream cheese with random red onion thrown on the top. Terrible excuse for a restaurant.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

A very busy restaurant it must be good, don't be fooled. Our orders were seafood chowder and fish cakes to start and then to be followed by fish & chips for two. Starters arrived, chowder a very unusual colour a murky greyish, thick gloop which tasted awful, bitter almost sourish, obviously the alcohol wasnt cooked out, two spoonfus and hubby had enough, my cakes were uniformed 'homemade' do not think so, mounds of a mushed consistency that beared no resemblence of fishcakes and tasted of nothing, I can assume that wet cardbord would taste similar. It was horrific! i called the waitress over and cancelled our main courses and offered to pay for the starters but she apologised profusely and said no charge. I do not know what kind of a 'chef' sent out the muck we were served that evening, but obviously not a trained one. Busy packed restaurants does not always mean they are good! Avoid