“Very good standard” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Westport
Katowice
“Very good standard”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2008

I spent a few days in Hotel Westport in the second half of July. It was a business trip, but I had also an opportunity to relax a bit. I knew the hotel from my previous visits, but this time I was really surprised. My room was totally different than before. New bathroom, new flooring, new flat TV set on the wall etc. It had just been modernized to a much higher standard. As usually in July I saw many families with children spending there their holidays but also groups of elderly people. All of them seemed to be as happy as I was with my stay. The restaurant in the hotel offers a very good choice of tasty meals. The service is excellent. After dinners I visited a bit Westport pubs offering Irish and foreign beers and drinks and live Irish music. Westport is a lovely town and I will certainly come back to its best hotel.

• Liked — New modernized rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank wczasowicz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2008

We are just back from a 2 night break in this propert. We booked it after reading reviews on Tripadvisor and were not disappointed.

The staff are by and large genuinely friendly and helpful., although I think in some cases, particularly the restaurant, lacked proper training for a 4* hotel.
We had dinner here on the first evening and were pleasantly surprised at the high quality. However, I got the impression some of the food was pre-cooked and then reheated (half roast duck for dinner and hake for breakfast). Breakfast itself each morning was fantastic, possibly one of the best hotel breakfasts I've had!

The room was very nice and easily accesible. It had it's own balcony overlooking the hotel's own brook and stone bridge, and a reasonable sized bathroom. My only two complaints were the size of the double bed (very small) and the lack of a mini-bar.

Overall I have to say we enjoyed our stay here and as long as we can afford it, would stay again.

• Liked — Breakfast, the Spa, the staff and the location
  • Disliked — A bit too pricy
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2008

I stayed for a couple of nights with my boyfriend and we had a wonderful time. The staff were extremely friendly and very efficient. The room we had was one of the new modernised rooms and it was lovely -bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was large, clean, with a great shower. The spa was just gorgeous and the treatment were so relaxing. The hotel is within walking distance of the town so was very easy to stumble home after some excellent nights out. I cant recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Kildare
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

This hotel came recommended and so we decided to give it a try, checking in was great but that’s it. The room was dated but the heat of the room, we asked for a fan which they provided, it didn’t work. The family decided to eat in the restaurant on the first night, the staff were poor and the standard of food was also poor. Even though it was probably the towns busiest weekend the hotel was dead....I would not recommend this based on our experience.

• Stayed July 2008
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank maxkildare
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2008

I'm very fond of this hotel, we held our wedding reception there and if there's no room at the family place in Mayo or we want to get away I always book in here. If you are thinking of using it for a wedding then the coordinator at the hotel is an excellent organiser and they can be negotiated down on costs, especially corkage and a late licence.

The hotel is a little traditional, like most places in the area, although they have started to modernise the rooms. The room we had last week was one of these and it was lovely - bathroom was large, clean, modern with an excellent shower and the bed was the most comfortable thing ever. The unmodernised rooms have always been ok too - just the decor is a little more chintzy or old fashioned I guess.

The pool is good, although often full of kids, there is always a swimming lane and there is a sauna and steam room too. The beauty treatments are excellent, although a little pricey, and the gym is small but has lots of machines. You need a swimming hat to go into a pool in Ireland but they sell them there if you forget!

The restaurant is fine. Breakfast isn't the greatest but the dinners are good. I personally prefer a smaller independent restaurant than a big room in a hotel.

The hotel is a 5 minute walk from Westport town centre. In terms of town centre hotels in Westport, I think it is the best, although there are some fans of the Castlecourt about! If you're not bothered about staying in the town centre then the Harbour Mill flats at the Quay are a little nicer. And just make sure you get out to Croagh Patrick and the beaches at Old Head or Bertra whilst you're there, as well as the pre-requisite visit to Matt Molloys for all tourists!

• Stayed June 2008
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2008

This was a 3 night, midweek stay.

One nice thing is that the hotel is a short walk from the centre of the town. Far enough to get some fresh air but close enough to be able to just nip out to the shops.

The hotel was being renovated and expanded when we were there so there was lots of building work going on outside our window. We weren't told about this before booking which was a bone of contention and a little un-professional.

The room was very comfortable and all the furniture was well placed. There was a kettle with tea and coffee provided in the room. I can't find any fault with the bedroom. The bathroom could have done with a proper sized bath though. The one we had was rather shallow. We needed a nice bath to fully relax after all the walking and climbing we'd been doing.

The hotel had plenty of good quality facilities. The big bar area with entertainment some evenings, the sports hall ,which we didn't have time to sample, and the restaurant.

The breakfast was one of the best we've ever had. It was really good. Mostly a hot and cold buffet but a chef serves up the cooked breakfast items. The waiter brings the pots of tea and a plate of toast.

The hotel was busy with Irish and foreign tourists and rightly so. It's an outstanding hotel in a very beautiful, picturesque little town.

• Liked — Comfy room and high quality facilities.
  • Disliked — The building work which was very obvious.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mr_Nomad
Polska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2008

Westport is a lovely town in Western Ireland. I spend there a few sunny days in early May. As usually, I had a room booked in a good hotel offering full service. This time it was Hotel Westport. The hotel had been famous for its restaurant and I really wanted to check whether it was still right.
I arrived in the very late afternoon. A nice girl in the reception gave me a card to open the door of my room. It was clean and large as I had expected. "Well done", I said to myself. It was 9 pm. I decided to go to the restaurant. I took a seat and started to read Menu. It was impresive. A very friendly waiter suggested me fish and good wine. They were really delicious. I ordered another bottle. The evening was long.
It was not easy to wake up in the morning, but good coffee and Irish breakfast had me back on my feet. I spent the day on visiting the region of Westport around Croagh Patrick.
In the afternoon I came back to the hotel and a true surprise waited for me. Scottish wedding. For the first time in my my life I saw so many men wearing kilts. In Poland where I live it is not usual, I would even say, a bit strange for us, but very attractive.
I left the hotel on the next day in the morning, but will certainly remember my stay for a long time.

• Liked — Restaurant
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)