Hotel Westport
  • Restaurant
The Wyatt Hotel(Westport)
Harbour Mill(Westport)
1,206 results
All reviewspanda clubpremier roomriver walkcrazy golfleisure centrekids clubtown centrefamily hotelthe ground floorwalk in showerbar foodlovely hotelbreakfast and dinnerfamily breaklast weekendtea coffeeenjoyable stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Ok hotel. We had dinner in bar as the restaurant was booked out till a later time which didn't suit. We had an ok meal nothing special to write home about. service was very prompt. Room was another story, opened the door, even tho the room has signs, NO SMOKING room we still smelt it in the room. we opened the balcony door, to get some fresh air into the room. The bathroom was very dark and dingy, only 1 light working not good for shaving. You couln't swing a cat in there. The water was too hot in the sink got burnt a few times. NO scald units fitted on the sinks, the shower was pathetic it kept running hot and cold wouldn't reglate at all. I then noticed when I got out the floor outside the bathroom was sopping wet. There were 2 lights in the bathroom only 1 working tho. The beds the curtins walls decor were all out dated and shabby. All needs to be up dated. We had a function on the Hotel it was very well layed out staff very friendly and prompt. We had breakfast next morning we were seated to our table lady said it's self service, She said out tea/coffee would be taken from server. We had to go look for someone to order our tea, the hot breakfast was served from a hot ban bari counter with a chef serving as little as possible he wasn't going to get you fat there for your breakfast. Checking out I was asked how our stay was I just mentioned about the floor and the light. She took a note of it and applogised for it.

Room Tip: I really couldn't comment on picking another room as the one we stayed in was out dated and need an over hall. T.V was outdated.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jlyn1974
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Myself, my wife, who are regular visitors over the last 5 years, and my dad who has being going to this hotel for the last 17 years, booked a 5DBB Golden Breaks holiday in early September 2012, and we were all really looking forward to the break, as we had always had a very enjoyable and pleasent holiday on all our previous visits which included Christmas holidays where we met the same people who go every year, who became good friends and always had a good rapport with all the staff. My wife and my dad (98 years of age) are both very restricted on mobility and use a walking stick and cannot walk for any long distance. As on all previous visits, when booking, the hotel give us the same bedrooms for familiarity (especially for my dad) and ease of walking distance to the restaurant and lounge, all very good. Then we arrive on the Sunday about 4pm as usual to start our short break. To our extreme horror we were told that the room for my wife and myself was not ready, (dad was lucky his was ready) and could we wait in the small lounge for a short while and we would get a call when the room was ready. Eventually we got called at 5pm and started to check in, and as we always do at this stage we book for an evening meal for 6.30pm-- 7pm each evening, only to be told they could not facilitate us at those times and if we wanted to eat in the restaurant we could choose either 5.30pm or 8pm. After an exchange of words they agreed to fit us in at a 7pm sitting. We should have known at this point that all was not as it should be, but we went along and after 2 &1/2 hrs we finished our meal (which was not all that great), after waiting 20/30mins between courses. Next morning my wife spoke with the duty manager (Rory) to vent our disappointment and anger with the service which we had received since our arrival, she was assured that this was not the norm and that all staff would be spoken to and everything would be better for the rest of our stay,-- wrong.. The biggest disappointment was the variety of food on menus each evening, same starters, same main courses, same mash and vegetables, slight variation on desserts,staff generally in restaurant were not what we expected and seemed to be under extreme pressure all the time. Breakfast was of a very poor standard, left waiting on pots of tea and burnt toast. After our evening meal on the second night we were asked to leave the table after desserts and have our tea/coffee in the lounge, another signal we should have picked up on that all was not as it should be, this is not the way to achieve rewards which are all displayed for you to see. The final evening as we finished our desserts we were again asked to leave the table and have our tea/coffee in lounge, -- we immediately refused and insisted we be served tea/coffee at our table as we observed that there was two large groups at other tables who were been served their coffees at their tables, when my wife complained to the head waiter she was told they needed the table, yet they could easily have cleared the large tables of groups if they needed space. Also, another unacceptable experience was when my dad on one day went to his room at 3pm for a rest for a couple of hrs only to find his room was not made up. Loyality as a regular visitor to this hotel does not appear to be a one of their top priorities, and needless to say we had a very disappointing holiday and will never return,which is very sad especially for my dad (98 years of age) who left with a very bad memory of this hotel, after spending many very happy holidays in Westport and staying in this hotel with my mum for 10/11years before her sudden death in 2005.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a premier room if possible
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank merbet
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My wife and I booked a holiday from 13th August 2012 until 20th August 2012. We were accompanied by a friend. We booked at a time which coincided with an over 55 promotion from Monday to Friday and so we were offered attractive rates.

I had been to the hotel 3 times in the past and always enjoyed it. I played golf on the magnificent Westport Course. My wife is disabled and she has an electric trolley, but the hotel assured me that we would have full access to the rooms and indeed we did. The staff were very pleasant and attentive and there was no trouble getting in and out of lifts. The hotel boasts a spa and swimming pool and my wife enjoyed them to the full. There was also a musical on Wednesday night which was very enjoyable.

Westport itself is a wonderful town full of quaint shops and cheerful people. The shop attendants were very courteous and attentive to my wife, and despite the narrow pavements, the people were very polite and considerate.

I read the hotel website before I booked and I noted that it had won 2 rosettes for the restaurant and an award as the "best hotel bar in Ireland", so we were looking forward to our stay. Unfortunately that was as good as it got. The rooms were pleasant enough, with small balconies to sit out in but there was a distinct absence of drawers to put our smalls in. The television was an old fat one and it was difficult to view without sitting up in bed.

The biggest disappointment was the food. We had a choice each evening of 4 starters, two of which were fish, i.e. smoked salmon, mussels etc. There were 5 main choices, 2 of which were also fish and a dessert followed by tea/coffee. If, like me, you do not like fish, there are really only three choices, one of which is vegetarian, so in reality I only had two choices and one at least was repeated throughout the week. The vegetables accompanying the meal were the same almost every night, and comprised a dollop of mashed potato with no discernible seasoning or butter involved. This was accompanied by a miniscule portion of carrots and mange tout served in a crescent shaped dish. The desserts were clearly bought in from a well known catering company, as I suspect were some of the main courses and it was all presented as fine dining. The chef`s name was on the menu each night and one wonders why a chef would be satisfied to work one night at a time.

The breakfast was a disaster for a 4 star hotel. The cereals and fruit were at one counter. The full Irish at another and as it was a buffet we had to select the ingredients from the hot counter. There was no bread in the ingredients, so we had to line up at another counter to fetch the bread and if we wanted toast, we had to queue to use the conveyor type toaster and all this whilst the fries were getting cold. By the middle of the week, I had enough and I complained to the manager. I was told that he would stand over the menu provided as it had won two rosettes for its food. Perhaps I was not used to fine dining - "something simpler perhaps"?

The upshot was that we cancelled the last two days of our holiday and left on Saturday morning. However, the hotel had the last word. The eggs on our morning fry were raw on one side and although I took mine back and asked the chef to turn it over, it took 20 minutes to do so, by which time I had eaten the remainder of my breakfast and was on the way out. On the night before my wife and I waited for an hour to be served a bowl of soup and our main course. We left before the dessert and coffee appeared as we were intending to spend our evening enjoying ourselves, not sitting waiting endlessly in a restaurant waiting to be served.

Needless to say we shall not be returning.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Alexander351
Reviewed September 17, 2012

very clean, very comfortable... just wish it wasn't such a long walk to town. Enjoyed the room; comfortable beds; soft linens. Wish we could have stayed a few more days. There is a convenient grocery store nearby to pick up snacks and beverages. THE PUB WAS GREAT!

Room Tip: make sure you are clear about a 'large double bed' if you expect a queen size bed; otherwise you'll get twin beds
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank kjd6722
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stayed here with my husband for 3 nights. Staff were really really friendly and polite. The room was lovely - no view but hey you can't have everything!. The leisure centre was very good and blissfully quiet at the times I chose to go there. The breakfast was good but no cheese plate. I did ask on the last morning and was offered grated cheese..... I thought there should at least be one or two Irish cheeses available. We had dinner one night and it was perfect. There was a real buzz about this hotel not least because there was a golden years group staying at the same time. All in all a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple