“Disabled Friendly, but disappointing”
Review of Hotel Westport

Hotel Westport
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Westport
N.Ireland
“Disabled Friendly, but disappointing”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My wife and I booked a holiday from 13th August 2012 until 20th August 2012. We were accompanied by a friend. We booked at a time which coincided with an over 55 promotion from Monday to Friday and so we were offered attractive rates.

I had been to the hotel 3 times in the past and always enjoyed it. I played golf on the magnificent Westport Course. My wife is disabled and she has an electric trolley, but the hotel assured me that we would have full access to the rooms and indeed we did. The staff were very pleasant and attentive and there was no trouble getting in and out of lifts. The hotel boasts a spa and swimming pool and my wife enjoyed them to the full. There was also a musical on Wednesday night which was very enjoyable.

Westport itself is a wonderful town full of quaint shops and cheerful people. The shop attendants were very courteous and attentive to my wife, and despite the narrow pavements, the people were very polite and considerate.

I read the hotel website before I booked and I noted that it had won 2 rosettes for the restaurant and an award as the "best hotel bar in Ireland", so we were looking forward to our stay. Unfortunately that was as good as it got. The rooms were pleasant enough, with small balconies to sit out in but there was a distinct absence of drawers to put our smalls in. The television was an old fat one and it was difficult to view without sitting up in bed.

The biggest disappointment was the food. We had a choice each evening of 4 starters, two of which were fish, i.e. smoked salmon, mussels etc. There were 5 main choices, 2 of which were also fish and a dessert followed by tea/coffee. If, like me, you do not like fish, there are really only three choices, one of which is vegetarian, so in reality I only had two choices and one at least was repeated throughout the week. The vegetables accompanying the meal were the same almost every night, and comprised a dollop of mashed potato with no discernible seasoning or butter involved. This was accompanied by a miniscule portion of carrots and mange tout served in a crescent shaped dish. The desserts were clearly bought in from a well known catering company, as I suspect were some of the main courses and it was all presented as fine dining. The chef`s name was on the menu each night and one wonders why a chef would be satisfied to work one night at a time.

The breakfast was a disaster for a 4 star hotel. The cereals and fruit were at one counter. The full Irish at another and as it was a buffet we had to select the ingredients from the hot counter. There was no bread in the ingredients, so we had to line up at another counter to fetch the bread and if we wanted toast, we had to queue to use the conveyor type toaster and all this whilst the fries were getting cold. By the middle of the week, I had enough and I complained to the manager. I was told that he would stand over the menu provided as it had won two rosettes for its food. Perhaps I was not used to fine dining - "something simpler perhaps"?

The upshot was that we cancelled the last two days of our holiday and left on Saturday morning. However, the hotel had the last word. The eggs on our morning fry were raw on one side and although I took mine back and asked the chef to turn it over, it took 20 minutes to do so, by which time I had eaten the remainder of my breakfast and was on the way out. On the night before my wife and I waited for an hour to be served a bowl of soup and our main course. We left before the dessert and coffee appeared as we were intending to spend our evening enjoying ourselves, not sitting waiting endlessly in a restaurant waiting to be served.

Needless to say we shall not be returning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Alexander351

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 17, 2012

very clean, very comfortable... just wish it wasn't such a long walk to town. Enjoyed the room; comfortable beds; soft linens. Wish we could have stayed a few more days. There is a convenient grocery store nearby to pick up snacks and beverages. THE PUB WAS GREAT!

Room Tip: make sure you are clear about a 'large double bed' if you expect a queen size bed; otherwis...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kjd6722
cork
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stayed here with my husband for 3 nights. Staff were really really friendly and polite. The room was lovely - no view but hey you can't have everything!. The leisure centre was very good and blissfully quiet at the times I chose to go there. The breakfast was good but no cheese plate. I did ask on the last morning and was offered grated cheese..... I thought there should at least be one or two Irish cheeses available. We had dinner one night and it was perfect. There was a real buzz about this hotel not least because there was a golden years group staying at the same time. All in all a very enjoyable stay.

ireland
Reviewed September 10, 2012

stayed in westport hotel on 2nd of september for two nights although we found the hotel nice and the staff friendly there were several points that we were not happy with firstly free wifi was supposed to be available in the hotel however the internet signal was very bad with no signal in our bedroom at all and only in certain parts of the hotel the milk in the room was sour and when i asked at reception could we possibly have semi skimmed milk i was told to try the bar and they may have some as a four star hotel i would expect that this should have been sent up to our room also the lockers in the leisure centre changing rooms were very bad and did not lock correctly with a gap between the door and locker i dont thing this hotel warrants a four star rating and is more of a three star hotel

5 Thank catherine2Ireland
northern ireland
Reviewed September 10, 2012

"Thelionspet" has just wrote my review what else can I say from checking in to checking out just perfect. On arrival my wife and I were upgraded and the ony downfall of the weekend was the view from the room, a roof, hey someone has sleep in that room. I have stayed in some hotels were you speak to staff and you get no reply in the Hotel Westport they speak first. Breakfast on the two mornings was hot and plentiful and served by a pleasant chef, the evening meal was just great and the waiter, Peter I think, was very attentive. Believe it or not the sun was out which just completed a great weekend, hope to be back.

ireland
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Just back from a weekend break break in Westport, staying at the fab hotel Westport.

I am pretty hard to please where hotels are concerned and I am happy to report this one ticked all the boxes. I think it was the friendliness of the staff across the board that probably made all the difference. For example, this morning at breakfast I was first down and had a pot of coffee for one which I then shared with my friend when he arrived. When he then ordered a pot for himself, the waiter came with a larger pot noting that this would be good for two. It might sound simple, but it was extremely thoughtful and delivered with such kindness. Not one would pass in the corridors without bidding a greeting.

Some of the rooms have been refurbished, mine was a bit more old fashioned but I had a really nice balcony and the sheets and towels especially are of really good quality.

The hotel hosted two weddings during our stay and we weren't disturbed or sidelined in any way. That's quite a feat I think.

It's an easy walk into the very pretty and interesting town, so location is good.

It's a nice walk up to visit Westport house also.

All in all, we had a wonderful time, were well looked after and would rate highly for a cool weekend break!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Cork
Reviewed September 9, 2012

After a two night stay here, i believe this is of the best hotel stays I have had in Ireland.

The hotel is approximately a 10 minute walk to the center of westport.

Throughout our stay the staff were friendly and helpful.

Our room was a premier double, the room was spacious, immaculately clean and had a modern design - definitely 4 star quality. The bathroom was excellent - including a double washbasin and jacuzzi bath.

The hotel facilities are very good, the swimming pool is a medium size, has steam room,sauna, hot tub etc.
Also there is a gym, which is split in two, one room has spin bikes and mats for stretching and core work. the other room has weights, treadmill and cross trainers.
There is also a small crazy golf course and table tennis

In relation to food, the breakfast was of a high quality with great service. We also had lunch i the bar, again it was of a high quality. The hotel do a show(irish dancing/music) and dinner deal, we did not attend, but seemed to be very popular with others in the hotel.

I would highly recommend this hotel for your stay in westport