Abbeywood House
  • Restaurant
$226
$203
$215
Westport Country Lodge Hotel(Westport)(Great Value!)
$118
  • Room Service
$188
$212
$184
HotelsClick
The Wyatt Hotel(Westport)(Great Value!)
$155
$133
HotelsClick
$236
getaroom.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 19, 2007

Well anybody that is familiar with FR.TED welcome to St. Clabberts old priests home..... This place stinks of school and stale pee and from the off the staff were so rude.... The really polite girl in reception "NOT" gave a lecture about noise levels and how irish have a different mentality as to other nationalitys about drinking so much....... Also if you borrow an iron be prepared to get a lecture once again about leaving irons plugged..... Get a life you gowl.....

Lads avoid it like the plague and after speaking to some other locals our experience had there is a common occurance......

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank johngerry
CailindeasMayo, Owner/Manager at Abbeywood House, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2007

Hi there,
I have just happened to see this review and I am the "rude girl" at reception that is mentioned, I am also the owner and Manager of Abbeywood House. I appreciate all constructive criticism however this review does not come under that heading so I feel that I should respond. I had a group of guys check in the weekend of Aug 17th/18th for two nights, Friday and Saturday. Despite my asking then POLITELY when checking in to be as quiet as possible if coming in late out of respect to the other guests, I had to ask them to take their bags and leave on Saturday morning. Why??
They arrived back at 4am in the morning and proceeded to cause chaos till 5.30am, waking up every guest in the building, shouting and racing up and down the hallways (these guys are not kids..they were in their late 20s/early 30s). They were particularly rude to one couple who repeatedly asked them to keep it down. At breakfast the next morning I had complaints from ALL the other guests without exception who had not only been woken up when they came in but then kept awake by their behaviour.
In addition, they were smoking both in the toilets and the bedroom, (they left all the butts in the sink not even bothering to dispose of them and the room stank of smoke after them). Of course they weren't too happy to be asked to leave, hence the review, but I have worked too hard in the last 5 years to establish Abbeywood as a quiet restful place to stay to allow one group to completely disrespect all the other guests. I feel I had no choice but to ask them to leave, everyone who stays at Abbeywood has the right to a good nights sleep. I was verbally abused by them on Saturday morning and told I had a "rotten attitude from the start" . The whole episode ruined my weekend.
Needless to say, comments such as the place "stank of stale pee" are completely unfounded and intended purely to get back at me for asking them to leave. The only part of the review I would agree with is the title "Avoid this place lads" ......if you are going to behave in a similar manner to this group then Abbeywood is not the place for you!
Manager
Abbeywood House

Reviewed October 14, 2006

This hostel is sheer delight for groups of students who like to cook for themselves, play the guitar, talk, in general feel at home in a clean and well kept house, where there is fresh homemade soda bread for breakfast... especially after the Croagh Patrick challenge! - I as the leader of the group am sure that this was not their last stay in Abbeywood!
Christiane Kirchheimer, teacher of English, Hannover, Germany

Stayed: October 2006
New York
Reviewed June 13, 2005

Our family had a wonderful stay. The place is a short walk to town yet not in the middle of all the noise. The place is very clean and well kept. We had a private room on the first floor. I was impressed with the fact that the quiet hours are enforced. Which was really important to us as we had our two year old with us. Susan was very helpful at answering all of our questions.

• Stayed: May 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Gatineau, Québec
Reviewed August 13, 2004

Abbeywood is the nicest hostel of all the hostels that I have been to in Ireland. It makes for a nice quiet really enjoyable stay will easy access services like laundry, breakfast, Internet. The town is just five minutes walk away but it is enough out of the way to make for a good place to want to stay in the hostel to rest for a while probably because of its very nice living room.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dublin
Reviewed May 3, 2004

I’m just back from a wonderful weekend in Westport. We stayed in an amazing hostel there– Abbeywood. Its about 3 minutes walk from the town centre but you feel like you are in the middle of the countryside as it is set in lovely mature gardens which separate it from the town. It’s a converted monastery and it still has a lot of the original features which add to its charm. It also has an eclectic mix of antique furniture so it doesn’t have the clinical feeling of hotels. You also get a great breakfast included in the price – homemade brown bread(yum), cereal, coffee/tea, juice. Susan, the girl who runs it is really friendly, helpful and relaxed. I have stayed in a lot of hostels in Ireland so this makes a refreshing change. The beds are really comfortable and the place is spotless too. Also if you are not into the whole dorm thing and want a bit of privacy, they offer 2/3/4 bed rooms.So if you are disillusioned with the Irish hostel scene or think you are too old for hostels(that was me!) THINK AGAIN.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member