“A great place to stay in a lively town.”

Old Mill Holiday Hostel
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The old mill is a well run hostel close to the town center, it has limited parking although there is a pay & display car park next to it. The rooms are spacious and the kitchen/dining area is large & well equipped. I would recommend the old mill hostel to anyone who wants to stay in a fun town for a weekend or a few days.

• Stayed: August 2012
There are newer reviews for Old Mill Holiday Hostel

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Myself , a friend and 2 adult sons booked a room in the Hostel for sat night after cycling the Western greenway(thoroughly recommend the spin,45k to Achill,look around-lunch and cycle back).The staff were very friendly the rooms was clean as were showers and toilets.Very pleasant communal area with cooking facilities and a fridge. Only gripe was that the room had one 1ft by 1ft square window and sleep was difficult as we had our own personal sauna going on for the night! Location is fantastic,town centre and everything a short walk away. Fine spot but pity about the ventilation!!

Room Tip: Make sure room has a good window as most rooms have very small ones!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank eoco
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I stayed at the old mill a week or so ago and I left a pair of pants with my passport in them. I was very surprised to actually have it returned to me. Very honest place with a great location. I would recommend this hostel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Breedofhaters
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We were scammed out of 70 euro each for a nights stay in this hostel, They make you pay a 50 euro damage / behaviour deposit, When we returned from a night out they complained about us talking in our room and in the morning refused to give us back our deposit. We had to call the Gardai to negotiate half our money back. I would seriously recommend finding alternative accommodation in Wesport.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank steken73
Old M, Manager at Old Mill Holiday Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

I'd like to make a few corrections to this review. This group booked in as two small groups with the intention of joining together on the night to form a large stag party. We do not take stag parties as a rule due to the disruption they usually cause and this group were no different. Even though they had signed a behaviour contract and (paid a behaviour deposit) that explicitly states that we do not tolerate noise after midnight and even though they were given three warnings during the night about noise they persisted with making noise all night long, disturbing a lot of other guests who made complaints about them the next morning. They also brought drink into the dorms and wrapped a plastic bag around the smoke detector to prevent the alarm going off as they smoked drugs all night long.

I called the Gardai as the group then tried to intimidate my staff into returning their behaviour deposit in the morning at checkout time. The Garda who came to the hostel agreed that I was within my rights to withhold the deposit. To end the matter quickly I agreed to give back half their deposit. The Garda asked the group to leave and then had to nearly arrest one member of the group for trying to steal hostel property and breaking the peace.

I do not agree that my actions in relation to this stag party was bad for tourism in Westport. There are lots of other tourists who visit Westport for lots of other reasons which do not revolve around binge drinking and reckless, mindless behaviour.

As is clearly stated in our hostel rules, our dorms are not a party venue but a place to rest and sleep. If you can not understand that concept then do not stay here.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

Very unhelpful and unaccommodating, wouldn't recommend at all, better of staying in a nice B&B.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Elmingos
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Clean, comfortable and welcoming hostel. I've stayed in plenty of hostel around the world. I've stayed at larger hostels than this one with lots more fancy facilities but the place is exactly what a hostel should be. I met plenty of other backpackers and the staff gave me more tourist info than the local tourist office, its located in the middle of westport town. If you haven't been to westport before, you should. Its beautiful and full of live music venues and great restaurants.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank robes p
Reviewed April 19, 2012

This place ticks all the boxes, clean,comfortable, good kitchen, friendly staff, kind to the pocket and located in the centre of beautiful Westport.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo