“Clean hotel, nice views but a little out of town”

Westport Coast Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Westport
Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

The room was very clean with plenty of room for 2 adults and 1 child. Great power shower and loads of little bottles of shampoo/shower gel etc.
Lovely views of the water from the front of the hotel unfortunately we were not lucky enough to get one from our room which faced the car park area. However it did not bother us as we did not plan on being in the room for long.
The breakfast had a great variety of foods which were replenished quickly. My only complaint here was the toast was very slow to come out and I asked for the gluten free bread which arrived as I finished my breakfast. The girl did apologise as she had to go the bar area to locate some GF bread.
All staff very friendly and helpful.
Did not use any hotel facilities so can't comment on them.
Only complaint is its a little bit if a walk up hill to town so don't wear heels if walking! Car park a bit on the small side also.
Over all I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,039)

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Where do I start! My mother and myself stayed for 3 nights b&b & 2 evenings meals. This was the midweek package deal. The hotel service in this hotel was exceptional. Nothing was a problem. The breakfast was exceptional and I highly recommend the food everyonewas talking about it. This hotel was booked out and the crowds was coming in from the street and all staff very relaxed and no fuzz. The location is excellent for a relaxing holiday and the view is exceptional from the front. The rooms are a great size and little noise from room to room. Keep up the good work all!

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed August 5, 2014

As alot of previous reviews say, my husband and I were left a little disappointed after our stay in the Westport Coast Hotel. We stayed for a 2 night break with dinner in a junior suite. The staff, food and spa/lesuire facilties were all wonderful the room was a big let down. The room felt quiet shabby and in need of TLC. There were also two pull down beds which leads me to believe the junior suites are also used as family rooms. Nothing wrong with this if the place is up to the four star standard but it was not. The junior suites over-look the car park and while spending the extra money you would expect a decent view.

I would stay here again because in fairness it is in a lovely spot and as mentioned above the staff and food were lovely. I just wouldn't recommend paying the extra for a junior suite. The Harbour View rooms would probably be a better better and are cheaper.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank EdelO'Ha
Reviewed August 3, 2014

I booked a break with two nights B&B and an evening meal through the hotels website and paid extra for an upgraded Harbour View Room.
I was very impressed by the pictures on the website and couldn't wait to arrive.
We arrived on a Monday evening and the first thing I noticed was that the hotel only takes up the end of the row which is shown on the website picture - and not then entire row which I assumed from the picture.
However, first impressions of the hotel were good, the reception was a nice area with a reading snug over to one side and the entrance to the bar/bistro to the other.
Staff were very helpful and we got checked in immediately and headed to our room.
This was the disappointing part - our room was nowhere near a 4* upgraded room which I had booked and paid for. The room was a decent size but it was very worn with lots of marks on the walls, the paint was peeling on the window ledge and there was a large hole in the window ledge - there was also a thick bar across the middle of the window - spoiling the Harbour View.
Upon seeing the room I was so shocked and disappointed that I assumed there had been a mistake with our booking and that we hadn't gotten an upgraded room. The room was nothing at all like the photographs on the website.
I went to reception and asked if there had been a mistake and they assured me all rooms were the same and this was the upgraded room I had paid for - it was definitely not worth the money I had paid for it - it was definitely a 3* at best.
However, a few minutes after being back in our room the manager called and said they understood we were unhappy with our room and offered us a complimentary suite upgrade - which was gratefully accepted. I know a lot of people don't mind rooms being basic but I see my hotel room as a place where I can come back to after a day of sightseeing and relax - and I had expected more from this hotel.
Our new room was very lovely, marred only by the road sweeper on the first night which I thought was coming in through the third floor bedroom window because it was so loud - and swept the streets for 2.5hrs starting at 12.30am.
Staff at the hotel were really lovely and the food was also amazing. Nothing was too much trouble and staff were helpful, friendly and efficient.
However, this is not a 4* hotel - as I said, if we had of stayed in our initial room, it would definitely not have been worth the money I paid - and for this reason I would not return here.

1  Thank Marielouise G
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Easy to find at Westport Quay, we arrived early evening & had difficulty at first in getting a space in the hotel’s free (& very tight) car park but we persisted & eventually, after several minutes, a space became available & we got parked up. Check in was quick, friendly & informative & we were quickly in our non smoking room.
The room was adequate & functional without having any exceptional qualities. A comfortable bed, tv, tea/coffee, wardrobe, dining table, smoke alarm, full length mirror, trouser press. No air con which meant that the room was very much on the too warm side. No issues with noise from inside or outside of the hotel.
Our bathroom was clean & ok, size wise, with bath, fixed head shower with good pressure & enough hot water, shaving socket, hairdryer, toiletries & towels.
Breakfast was good, served by attentive staff with full fry, cereals, toast, croissants, yoghurt, fresh fruit, cheese, cold meats, tea, coffee & fruit juice.
We ate in a local restaurant & didn’t use the hotel bar so, I can’t comment on food & drink. We didn’t use the leisure centre but we did go for a look at it & it seemed to be quite impressive, not overly busy, very clean, a pool, kids pool, sauna & steam room. Towels were provided.
In a nice location, approx 1 mile from the centre of Westport & 200 metres from the entrance to Westport House & 10 to 15 minutes drive from Croagh Patrick & the National famine monument.
A decent hotel without being anything special, I can’t put my finger on what it was that made it feel, to me, more like a good 3 star than a quality 4 star hotel.

2  Thank Gaildorfblues
Sinead C, General Manager at Westport Coast Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us. As new owners/management we greatly appreciate your feedback on the various aspects of your stay. We have undergone many changes and improvements since taking ownership of The Westport Coast Hotel and we have many more improvements planned. I would like to thank you for your comments in relation to your check in, room, breakfast, Leisure Centre, and location and I greatly look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back again in the not to distant future

Kindest Regards
General manager

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Me and my partner visited the Westport coast hotel in Mid-April and enjoyed it.
The hotel is in a quiet area over looking the quay witch was a bonus.
The food was amazing and im still raving about it.
Few small bad points was I requested a FF room and this was not done? I wasn't even told about no availability and therefor are room was looking out at a car park. I personally thought attention to detail was poor.
Other than that the breakfast had a wide selection of everything.
We will return again as we did enjoy it but will be requesting a FF room again.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room as if you get a back facing room you will be over looking a dull car par...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you fro choosing to stay in The Westport Coast and for taking the time to share your experience with others, I and truly sorry to learn that having requested a front facing room you were allocated a rear facing one and without explanation or apology and I deeply regret that as a result you were left disappointed and felt our attention to detail was lacking. On a positive note I was delighted to learn that you found our food amazing and that you will be returning in the not too distant future.
We greatly look forward to welcoming you back

Kindest Regards
General Mnager

Reviewed August 2, 2014

We had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay at the the Westport Coast Hotel.The staff were very friendly, food was excellent.Great view from the restaurant. Room was comfortable. Nice leisure center.. Would recommend ,looking forward to staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sinead C, Manager at Westport Coast Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience of The Westport Coast hotel with others, I was delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable stay and that you found our staff friendly, food excellent and rooms comfortable we greatly look forward to welcoming you back again in the future
Kind Regards