“excellent tasteful dinner”

Cuisines: European, French, Irish, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We arrived without having made a booking and felt welcome and given a table straight away. We had an excellent tasteful diner. We were delighted not to have a children menu with the usual cheap junk food. Instead of that our 8 years' old daughter enjoyed a half portion of the duck that was cooked to her liking. My wife chose the special of the day, scalops with wild mushroom risotto. My wife is by the way an expert in scallops as she always eat them in seafood restaurant. She found it was one of the best scallops she had ever eaten. "saisies" as they should be. I took a seafood taster and was pleased to have scallops, salmon and not only shells on it.

I am not an expert in puddings but I found my orange whiskey pudding very tasty and not heavy. My wife as a fan of chocolate, took the fondant and found it very good as well. No need to say my daughter finished her selection of ice creams as well.

Overall a very nice meal experience enhanced by the atmosphere of the cottage and the warm welcome efficiency of the staff.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Situated right on the quay it has a lovely view across the water. The food was good. Nice choice and the wines were good and not too expensive. Early bird offered a good choice if you get there before 7pm

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Went here last week for my birthday with a party of 10 and I can safely say it was one of the best meals I have had in any restaurant in the last few years! The staff was pleasant and even though busy we got attended too very well! Upon arrival our table was decorated with balloons and were seated and handed menus and got a drink order in. I had the fish cake which was absolutely delicious! The various fish and mustardy mash inside the fish cake was pure delight! My boyfriend got the chowder and as a fan of the creamy one was very surprised to the a daring spicy tomato chowder which was filled with clams and mussels and salmon and was superb! The brown bread went very well with it! As a main I got the pork and it was very succulent and juicy. The apricot and honey sauce was divine and went very well with the red onion mash! My sister (who is rather picky) who got the chicken was simply delighted with the dish! it came with a creamy mushroom sauce and garlic mash. Overall great evening, brilliant staff and the food was excellent! Will definitely come back here and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a great restaurant!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had one of our best meals in Westport. The monkfish was simply lovely. Also staff are really friendly. I will be back.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We had read the reviews, and decided to ignore the last one, as the others had been so much more favourable. Quay cottage had come highly recommended locally also.
We were very disappointed. It was the worst meal I had had in a very long time.
The restaurant itself was very nice, the waiting staff were friendly, polite and welcoming.
However, the food does not at all match what they offer on the menu. I started with chowder, which was basically a bowl of mussels in a tomato sauce, no other fish, watery and bland. My dad had ordered the mussels and got a much smaller portion. I mentioned my disappointment at the lack of any other fish and was offered more shellfish........ The fish cake looked great however and had anybody been a bit interested, would have been a good alternative. They took the "chowder" off the bill, which was neither hear nor there, I would have preferred, given that we were out to dinner, to have had something good to eat. The bread was good.
For the main I ordered monkfish on a mushroom risotto. I got a plate with a heap of cold salad on top of the monkfish which had some risotto rice swimming in what seemed like the same tomato watery sauce that was with the "chowder" not a mushroom in sight and a bit of pancetta. Why would you put mushroom risotto on the menu and serve up watery tomato rice with no mushrooms??
The chocolate fondant, whilst at least chocolate, was more like a warm brownie, and not great.
We were out for an evening, chose to go there, and regretted it. It's not really about the money, we wasted our evening.
They know how to charge, how to write up an inviting menu, unable to deliver on the cooking.
Never again.