“Interesting building good food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quay Cottage - CLOSED

Quay Cottage
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Interesting building good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Situated right on the quay it has a lovely view across the water. The food was good. Nice choice and the wines were good and not too expensive. Early bird offered a good choice if you get there before 7pm

“Best birthday experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Went here last week for my birthday with a party of 10 and I can safely say it was one of the best meals I have had in any restaurant in the last few years! The staff was pleasant and even though busy we got attended too very well! Upon arrival our table was decorated with balloons and were seated and handed menus and got a drink order in. I had the fish cake which was absolutely delicious! The various fish and mustardy mash inside the fish cake was pure delight! My boyfriend got the chowder and as a fan of the creamy one was very surprised to the a daring spicy tomato chowder which was filled with clams and mussels and salmon and was superb! The brown bread went very well with it! As a main I got the pork and it was very succulent and juicy. The apricot and honey sauce was divine and went very well with the red onion mash! My sister (who is rather picky) who got the chicken was simply delighted with the dish! it came with a creamy mushroom sauce and garlic mash. Overall great evening, brilliant staff and the food was excellent! Will definitely come back here and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a great restaurant!

Dublin
“Simply excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had one of our best meals in Westport. The monkfish was simply lovely. Also staff are really friendly. I will be back.

Wargrave, United Kingdom
“Such a shame”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

We had read the reviews, and decided to ignore the last one, as the others had been so much more favourable. Quay cottage had come highly recommended locally also.
We were very disappointed. It was the worst meal I had had in a very long time.
The restaurant itself was very nice, the waiting staff were friendly, polite and welcoming.
However, the food does not at all match what they offer on the menu. I started with chowder, which was basically a bowl of mussels in a tomato sauce, no other fish, watery and bland. My dad had ordered the mussels and got a much smaller portion. I mentioned my disappointment at the lack of any other fish and was offered more shellfish........ The fish cake looked great however and had anybody been a bit interested, would have been a good alternative. They took the "chowder" off the bill, which was neither hear nor there, I would have preferred, given that we were out to dinner, to have had something good to eat. The bread was good.
For the main I ordered monkfish on a mushroom risotto. I got a plate with a heap of cold salad on top of the monkfish which had some risotto rice swimming in what seemed like the same tomato watery sauce that was with the "chowder" not a mushroom in sight and a bit of pancetta. Why would you put mushroom risotto on the menu and serve up watery tomato rice with no mushrooms??
The chocolate fondant, whilst at least chocolate, was more like a warm brownie, and not great.
We were out for an evening, chose to go there, and regretted it. It's not really about the money, we wasted our evening.
They know how to charge, how to write up an inviting menu, unable to deliver on the cooking.
Never again.

Dublin, Ireland
“Choose somewhere else”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

All I can say from reading the positive reviews here is that the usual chef was on a night off when we ate at Quay Cottage.
We called at short notice for a reservation, my first two choices of where to eat were fully booked. They left me on hold awhile and said they'd see what they could do to re-arrange things to squeeze us in. I was delighted that we managed to get a table. When we arrived I noticed the restaurant was empty except for two tables. I thought this was odd as when I had called earlier I was given the impression the restaurant was almost fully booked. We were seated in a back room that again was empty except for one other table. Over the course of the evening a few more tables were filled but it remained half empty.
The menu looked promising however the wine list I found worrying as none of the white wines paired well with seafood, which was unusual for a fish restaurant. I decided not to risk a bottle of wine and just ordered a glass of house white, which tasted rather watery. Our starter of a mixed seafood plate was grand, although the langoustine was very overcooked and I thought it a little unfair to only give us one oyster when it was a sharing plate. Then the main course arrived, I had ordered the baked cod. My plate was flat, looked a bit like an omelet. The fish was complete mush, rather like baby food, no chunky cod flakes, I couldn't tell where the fish ended and the mashed potato started. I have never seen such badly cooked fish.I do not know what happened but the person in the kitchen clearly did not know the first thing about cooking. Anyone would who had any cooking skills would be embarrassed to server that to anyone, let alone except someone to pay for it. My dining partner unfortunately had ordered the same dish, his fish was slightly less overcooked. I am not a terribly fussy eater but this was inedible. I rarely complain in restaurants but decided I had to say something. At no point during our meal did the waiting staff come over to ask was everything ok. When they came to clear our plates, they took them and hurried away before I had a chance to say anything and no comment was made on our clearly uneaten food. I was so annoyed I just left the money on the table and left.
I don't like leaving negative reviews but I don't want anyone else's trip to Westport ruined but such a bad experience. Eat somewhere else!

• Visited June 2013