“Excellent food and service in a charming setting” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quay Cottage - CLOSED

Quay Cottage
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Excellent food and service in a charming setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just on the right of Westport harbour, it could be easy to miss the quay cottage. It was, however to miss it would be a shame. The cottage itself is charming and inviting and teamed with the great food and service, makes a great experience.

On New Year's Eve, my girlfriend and I were given a cosy table with a complimentary glass of prosecco. We had the New Years set menu and Every dish we ordered was delicious. And with the three course menu, the portions were judged just right.

Lastly, the staff were delightful, serving with a smile and obviously passionate about the place. Great to see and I would highly recommend the quay cottage

Westport
“Excellent Food, Service and Wine!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

I was so surprised to discover that this small cottage was so large inside, with high ceilings, spacious seating arrangements and such a cosy decor. The Christmas tree and decorations truly gave a christmas feel, all topped off with christmas music to get us in that spirit. Our group of 8 decided to order of the very reasonable christmas menu. Pascale our waitress was amazingly charming and friendly, seating us at a very cosy table with candles, bread and 3 plates of stuffed muscles. I chose the butternut squash soup and i must say it was the nicest I have ever palletted. The venison followed on a beautiful slate plate with decoration I could never have imagined, the mashed potato was to die for I must add! We chose two bottles of Rose to accompany this which truly complemented the meal. Michele the chef then brought us a glass of apple sorbet each which prepared us for the beautiful chocolate tart and mince pies for dessert. Overall, the meal was fantastic, most definitely the best I've had in Westport (and being a local, I've had my fair share of meals out). We will be back Quay cottage! Sooner rather than later!

• Visited December 2012
Castlebar
“Stunning food in super setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

I took my sister for a birthday treat and had a gourmet experience with very professional service from 2 french staff at Quay Cottage. A great bonus for 2 hungry women to be given a very decent sized complimentary appetizer of a type of bruschetta with mushroom duxelle and a large portion of really good quality smoked salmon. It was a cold damp evening and I had a wonderful winter-warming risotto with lots of perfectly cooked scallops and would highly recommend this dish. Sister also relished her warm goat's cheese salad, beautifully presented with lot of interesting and varied garnishes on the plate. for mains I went for monkfish served on pureed potato with lots of surprising and palate stimulating flavours on a very creative and tasty dish. Sis had a large piece of salmon again on a very well presented plate and loved the fact that it was accompanied by artfully prepared small amounts of vegetables which did not overwhelm the star of the plate. We were too full ( seldom happens us) to have a desert each but shared a lemon tart topped with I think lemon flavoured mascarpone - really delicious with an incredibly crisp thin pastry base. First rate for everything and the sister was utterly charmed by the young french charming and very cute waiter. I was a Thursday evening so a little quiet though there was a large crowd in another part of the restaurant for what appeared to be a fun food and wine tasting evening.

• Visited November 2012
Athlone, Ireland
“Excellent food & great service at the Quay Cottage”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Had great meal (chicken and figs for starter - Turbot fillets and risotto for main and creme brûlée for dessert) at the Quay Cottage on Sat 13th Beautiful!!! Theresa had one of the best seafood platters ever to start with -still thinking about it now. Theresa ordered the main course of salmon and king prawns which again was excellent. All of this was topped off by great desert of Creme brûlée. Hoping to get back there soon. Pity we live 2 hours away but definitely worth the drive for the food and the service. Would highly recommend to anyone

• Visited October 2012
New York City, New York
“Exquisite food and charming atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I had a magnificent evening and dinner in quay Cottage with a friend on holiday on my first visit to Westport. We had eaten out in a restaurant which was high up the list on Tripadvisor on the first evening in town and we were more than a little disappointed with the food and service. A local publican had told us we should not miss Quay Cottage and he was certainly right. What a terrific setting for Quay Cottage on an autumnal September evening with the full tide right outside the door, beautiful trees and a fabulous setting. I expected a pokey room but inside it is beautiful, bright, spacious and very comfortable -cosy while not being too close to other diners. The theme is nautical but was not overdone and the items on the walls and on display seemed to be the genuine articles giving the place authenticity and a lovely ambience. And the food, wow what a treat for one fish lover and one devoted carnivore. I had a complementary dish of periwinkles and fot starter what I was told is a local delicacy "cluaisins" like mini scallops, very small but utterly divine sautéed in butter. My friend had what looked like a very generous starter which included local black pudding and really tender lamb while I had more fish for the main course. I could not find fault with any of the food, delicious and all very artfully presented and despite the generous portions we could not manage to resist the desserts which lived up to their promise. Service was attentive but not intrusive with good timing to allow us enjoy our food and our surroundings. One waitress had a pronounced french accent and the lady who served us appeared to be the owner and she was warm and welcoming. She told us that the chef is also French. I cant really comment on the wine list as always go for the housewine and it was very drinkable.
Overall a super experience and very good value especially for gourmet French cooking. I would rate it extremely highly on every front and will definitely tell friends that this restaurant is a must

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
QuayCottage, Manager at Quay Cottage, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you. We're delighted you enjoyed your meal and appreciate you taking the time to write a review.