“Blissed out in Cloona”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Westport
Cloona Health Retreat
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I first visited Cloona in 2002 and most recently just this past weekend.

I was so delighted to return, having had such fond memories from my last trip. Cloona is a wonderful place to come to take some time out from the regular routine. Sometimes we can't see how frantic things are until we take a step back. The warm welcome, nurturing (in the form of food, yoga and generally being taken care of), stunningly scenic and peaceful location all add up to feeling newly refreshed and full of vitality for the year ahead.

Dhara will take you under his wing for a weekend or week of a journey to slow down and either remember what you already know, but often forget or learn so much about how to really care for yourself. He has a wonderful calming voice and demeanor, sense of humor and boundless knowledge on everything from the inside out on posture, food, mindfulness... he's a real gem.

Go to Cloona - your heart, soul and body will thank you for it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Cloona Health Retreat

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I visit Cloona at least once a year, and have done so for many years now. It is 'me time' of the best kind. I love it's policy of no TV, radio, papers, computers or phones: that element of detoxing is, for me, just as important as the diet and the walking and yoga. It nourishes mind and soul as well as body. The walks are lovely, and can best be described as moving meditation: the emphasis is more about getting in tune with our bodies rather than pushing them (though stretching our comfort boundaries is encouraged!). And the yoga is perfect as well - the most holistic I have come across.

And then there's the food! Absolutely delicious, never hungry and feel so much better after 5 days of eating nutritiously and nourishingly.

And finally all the add-ons - massage, seiki, facial, reflexology etc - and the other people there (who always seem to be lovely) make it a very special week.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I recently completed a 6 day weight loss/detox programme at Cloona and it was a most enjoyable experience. Cloona is in a beautiful setting just outside Westport and the accommodation is warm and comfortable. The food was excellent and despite being on a weight loss programme I never felt never hungry, even on the juice days. The twice daily guided walks through the beautiful surrounding countryside were fantastic with great advice from Dhara on walking technique. The daily yoga with Catriona was both relaxing and fun. Evenings were spent on various treatments and there was a sauna available after the evening meal. Meditation was also available and this was a nice way to start and end the days at Cloona.
The combination of good food, exercise, relaxation and good company made my week at Cloona memorable and I left feeling great physically and mentally...losing 6lbs was a great added bonus! I would highly recommend and will definitely return in the future!

1  Thank Cara W
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I spent last week in the special Cloona for the 'Energy Week'. The environment was wonderfully peaceful if a little spartan in beautiful Mayo just 3 miles from Westport and close to both Croagh Patrick and Bertra Beach. The food was a great combination of fresh fruit and veg and the program of water, food and exercise helped to detox both mind and body. Dhara's guided walks were available twice a day at your own pace - included advice on how to walk properly and unlearn some of our bad habits. With continuous emphasis on 'mindfulness' by Dhara and wonderful relaxing yoga classes from Catriona the mornings and early afternoons flew. Hot lunches comprised fantastic vegetable soups and vegetarian salads. The afternoons and evenings were spent on various treatments and sauna after dinner. Our group bonded really well and the chats at the end of the day were a good end to the day before deep sleep. The relaxed atmosphere, set in beautiful countryside, great exercise and healthy food of Cloona is a unique combination that left me healthier and happier with lots more energy. Will return!

Room Tip: Room - the single rooms without en-suite are good value but if you prefer a bit of luxury pay the ex...
1  Thank Limerick1996
Reviewed December 1, 2012

A really great place to take time out and to kickstart better eating and exercise habits. Cloona's 6 day weight loss/detox programme is unique and very refreshing. While it was challenging for someone like me who is both overweight and unfit, the programme was also very "do-able' with great advice and support from Dara and his team of including yoga teacher Caitriona and the various therapists. The location is also stunning. i would strongly recommend Cloona to anyone who is concerned about their weight and their general health.

Room Tip: I would recommend the single room ensuite which, while a bit dearer, makes the stay more comfortable...
5  Thank colette b
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Cloona is a very special place as it's real focus is on health and well being. It is unique in Ireland and also I suspect given the number of international visitors unique in Europe. It provides a wonderful opportunity to reconnect with your body through its cleansing and nourishing diet; it's gentle yet effective physical exercise programme and the many gifted therapists who provide massage; reflexology; seiki and other treatments. The physical location of Cloona is stunning; as an early morning riser, I was treated to a magical autumnal landscape cosseted by gentle mountains, stone circles and sea views on my many strolls around the area. I walk away from Cloona and I can hear my body thanking me, my mind is decluttered and I feel a renewed vigour for life. Those changes I want to make which feel overwhelming before Cloona become more possible and sometimes I realise that maybe they weren't so important after all. I am a repeat visitor to Cloona and intend to be for many years to come. The team in Cloona offer so much and work very hard to ensure the quality of the Cloona experience. You won't regret it and I can truly say it will be transformative. Go on - you're worth it!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Edel Q
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have just returned from a detox week in Cloona in Westport. Cloona is truly a unique experience, a real one off! It is a health retreat for mind, body and soul. The diet is very strict - organic fruit and vegtables only, all locally sourced. The programme includes yoga, alternative therapies, walking, sauna etc. Cloona is very well organised and well run. I met wonderful people and embarked on a journey of self discovery whilst refuelling low energy levels. I would highly recommend Cloona and look forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: Ensuite rooms worth paying extra for
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo