“Great Bar Food”

The Tavern Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 88 Restaurants in Westport
Cuisines: Seafood, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Open fire's and cozy snugs await you .Locally sourced food from our award winning menu are on offer daily in the shadow of Croagh Patrick on the shores of Clew Bay. Come and visit
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I visit here regularly, nice home cooked food and great staff. The menu could do with a bit of tweaking by maybe adding a stirfry with rice, change their burger to a gourmet burger, and add nachos as a starter just to vary things a bit for the bar menu. Definitely visit if you are in Westport.

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Spent my New Year's Eve with my lovely family at the tavern. Love the location. The tavern is always accommodating especially when I book a day or sometimes hours in advance of a busy time! Staff are friendly and welcoming and can't do enough for you. The food is excellent. Love it. Can't say enough about it. Would highly recommend it.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Whilst on a recent 3 day trip to Westport with my wife and 3 children, we had the opportunity to dine here twice (once for lunch, with my wife, once for dinner, with the family and some friends), and we thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance and food.

This is an olde worlde pub/restaurant that puts a lot of effort into providing excellent cuisine at good prices. I had the seafood chowder for lunch (I am a seafood chowder fanatic and critic), and have to say it was probably the best chowder I have eaten in many, many years.

We had dinner on a Friday night, which was "curry night" - I had the Tikka Massala which was delicious - nice touch being able to specify how hot (or not) you would like your curry dish to be served.

Their website doesn't portray the true experience of The Tavern. Maybe this isn't a bad thing, as I want to keep this place all for myself!

I will definitely return when next in Westport.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Very nice pub restaurant situated at the bottom of the reek. It is easy to find as it is on the main road and the first pub you come to in the village heading west. On entering the decoration is a traditional pub style, lots of dark wood and off white walls. A beautiful open fire was burning in the main eating area. A very cost feeling and a warm welcome. The food menu is excellent with plenty of choice. One of the best that I have seen on this trip to Ireland. I had the lamb shank which was truly excellent and my college had the soul which they said was delicious. Finished off with apple crumble and custard and a brownie with chocolate sauce. Excellent.

Great place for lunch. Everything that you would wish from a traditional pub restaurant
I Definitely recommend it. I will be back

Reviewed November 14, 2013

I stopped here late on a cold and windy afternoon after climbing Croagh Patrick (the trailhead is just up the road). Everything about my visit was wonderful. I had a delicious sandwich whilst sitting at the bar, and some Guinness and then a glass of whisky. The bartender was a friendly young man. This tavern has a nice, cozy feel to it - there is a real fireplace. I definitely recommend this place.