“Great day out but pricey extras”

Westport House & Pirate Adventure Park
Book In Advance
More Info
$14.36*
and up
Westport House and Gardens Admission Ticket
Ranked #12 of 26 things to do in Westport
More attraction details
Owner description: Westport House and Pirate Adventure Park has welcomed over 4 million visitors with its range of heritage, family-fun, camping and adventure activity offerings. From small beginnings of 2,700 visitors in 1960, it has become one of Ireland’s best loved attractions and was recently voted one of the Best Family Visitor Attractions in Ireland by Primary Times magazine. One of those rare attractions, it appeals to everyone in the family with its extraordinary mixture of-- history and heritage in this 18th century historic house with 4 permanent exhibitions, over 30 rooms open to the public, guided and self-guide tours, tea rooms and gift shops-- the fun of the Pirate Adventure Park – a primarily outdoor amusement park best suited to the under 12’s which features water and swinging ship rides, train, swan Pedaloe boats, slides, playgrounds, pitch & putt and in-door soft play area-- exhilaration with the adventure activities such as zorbing, archery and water sports-- child-friendly fun in its varied events calendar with our Fireworks Extravaganza, Halloween Fest and Winter Wonderland being highlights-- the family-friendly Caravan & Camping Park in the gorgeous park and woodland setting with excellent amenities. Owned and operated by the Browne Family, who have been onsite for over 300 years and can trace their roots back to Grace O’Malley, the Pirate Queen of Connaught, Westport House provides a full days fun – and more to any visitor to the West. The jewel in the crown of the West, you cannot visit Mayo without stopping in. We look forward to welcoming you.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Got a good deal by booking directly online. 67 euro for 2 adults and 4 children. To make the most of this you should try and spend the full day there. Opens at 11 and closes at 6. You have to have photo ID to collect your tickets. Take your own food and drink as they are on the pricey side.The house and the grounds are beautiful and are spread over a large area. There is lots to do. We went on the train ride - more suited for younger children than older ones, We also went on the swan boats which were good fun. Older children can do the pedalling and let the adults have a rest! The canon ball slide was enjoyed as was the 9 hole pitch and putt. The biggest fun for our kids - aged 11-13 - were the pirate ship and the log flume. You can go on them as many times as you like although you have to queue again after 2 goes which is fair enough.There is also a bouncy castle, small go-karts and a sandpit for younger children. Table tennis is available at an extra price and you can also play tennis - think it's free - bring your own rackets. We were disappointed at the price of the extras. The zorbing was 26euro for 2 children for 1 go so would have cost 52euro for the four of them to get just one roll down the hill. We didn't think it was worth it - even the kids agreed. The zip wire was 7 euro for one turn or 10 euro each for 2 turns each. We decided to save the 40 euro and use it for food on the way home. The staff were all very friendly especially the guy running the pirate ship. It wasn't too busy on a weekday but I expect it would be packed at weekends. We had a great day and will definately return

All reviews
in 14 reviews
"older kids"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from Westport house and pirate adventure.
The house was amazing. I have a small child with special needs so I was unable to go round the house which was ok my husband and daughter did. While I was waiting a lovely woman called Marion arranged for me and my son to be taken to the basement for coffee. I had the buggy with me. A lovely young man called Daniel met us and took us to the coffee shop. Thank you to you both for your kindness.
The only problem we did have was a girl on the gate going to the house. My son heard the train and just wanted to see it on the evening before and I asked the girl with black hair and glasses at the barrier if I could just show him the train. She was extremely rude to us and then laughed. No manners at all. Having a child with special needs and to see the smiles is great but she was so rude that even he cried when we had to leave without seeing the train. I did try and find her the following morning but no joy. I was so upset by her treatment of us. Marion and Daniel in the house made up for it. They are so pleasant. And the young girl in the ticket office.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

A fantastic visit for families staying in Westport. Really kept the kids and ourselves entertained for the whole day.

1  Thank Shanesal
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My family had a 3 day trip to Westport recently but only managed to fit in a quick visit to Westport house and Park on our last day in Westport before a 4 hours trip back home that afternoon. For the price of 59.00 for 2 adults and 2 children I do not feel this gives value for money. You have to pay extra for some activities like the archery zip wires and zorb. I tried the log boat ride (getting soaked which was fun) and the swinging boat with my daughter and we all went on the pedal boats and train. If we had more time to spend we could have relaxed in the pedal boats and gone on the rides a number of times. We enjoyed the house, even the children aged 8 and 9 found that interesting. To get the most out of it I would recommend taking your time to get more out of it and having a picnic in the lovely grounds.

1  Thank PMcGree
See more reviews
Reviewed July 19, 2013

After visiting Westport House recently and now having read some of the biased reviews here I feel I have to share my experience of Westport House. Myself and a friend decided to travel over to Westport House 2weeks ago for a day out, we got great value on our tickets as we purchased them online and got a student discount. Our ticket didnt cover the extra activities such as zorbing, zip line and archery and this is as clear as day on their website and at the ticket office - contrary to some of the reviews below. I have to say Westport House itself is magnificent, you can walk around the house on your own and there are several exhibition rooms with running dvd's and pictures,artefacts etc which if you care to pay attention to gives you enormous detail on the Browne family and the history of Westport House. I thoroughly enjoyed touring the house itself and found the information in depth and interesting - if you have an interest in history you will love Westport House. We also did the minature train ride, slippery dip and swan pedal boats - all of these activities are unlimited use so its great value for money. Staff at every station were extremely helpful and very friendly. Will definitely be back again, fantastic place! :)

2  Thank lilyangelic