Clew Bay Hotel
$189
$182
The Wyatt Hotel(Westport)(Great Value!)
$158
$136
Westport Country Lodge Hotel(Westport)(Great Value!)
$118
$192
$236
getaroom.com
1,173 results
All reviewsclew baymaddens bistroleisure centre next doorpublic car parkgreat hotelper daycentre of towncentral locationdouble bedwould stay againone night stayvery pleasant staytwo nightsroom was spaciousfamily roomfull irishwould highly recommend this hotel
Reviewed September 3, 2008

Had mixed feelings with this hotel.
On the plus side:
The location is perfect. Right in the middle of Westport.
The check-in staff at the front desk were fantastic. They were very helpful and friendly, booked dinner for us one night.

But, the watier/waitress/bar staff were not so good, they didn't make any effort. They just seemed hungover and apathetic.

The room was okay, nice and clean, got a really comfy bed, but it was showing signs of wear and tear, there were a few things broken in the room.

Overall, it was bad value for money... not really worth it.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2008

Seven of us stayed in the Clew Bay Hotel for three nights. The staff could not have been more helpful or friendly. Rooms were spacious and very clean. The hotel is situated right in the centre of Westport and near some great restaurants. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We stayed at the Clew Bay for 2 nights and booked directly with the hotel on a 2 breakfast and 1 evening meal basis.

The hotel offers a really useful Knock Airport pick up service for 30 euros return. However, our holiday didn't get off to a good start as we were WAITING AT THE AIRPORT FOR 2 HOURS before a member of the Clew Bay staff came to collect us! To make matters worse when we returned home we had been charged 30 euros each way (60 euros in total), a quick telephone call to the hotel soon sorted this out and we were refunded.

For the price I expected a lot more. We upgraded our room to a superior double for an extra 20 euros per night, apart from having a wonderful view of the Carrowbeg river the room seemed no different to the standard rooms along our corridor.

Breakfast was included in our package and for a small charge it was promptly delivery to our room each morning. If you love a great big hearty breakfast then you will be disappointed as they are only small portions.

The food in both Maddens Bistro and the Riverside Restaurant is wonderful! My only complaint is that both menus were almost indentical and I feel that between the two there should have been much more choice. You will pay more in the Riverside Restaurant for the same food you can get in Maddens as you are paying for the surroundings and Riverside View.

Snacks are available in Maddens Bistro throughout the day. There are quite a few members of staff who hardly speak any English so speak clearly when placing your order as we ordered 2 meals and were delivered 4!

The hotel is placed in a great location to explore Westport. The town mainly comprises of small gift shops and bars. Matt Malloys is a must if you want to experience the true meaning of Irish people and their music.... fantastic!!! The pub gets quite busy so if you want a seat try and get there before 9pm!

If you have not visited Ireland before it is a VERY expensive place to eat out, a meal for two with a bottle of wine will cost over 100 euros! Some of the restaurants in Westport offer an early bird menu but they are only available before 7pm so if you want to save quite a bit of money try and dine out early.

The staff are really helpful and friendly, they go out of their way to please you, on a rainy day they even lent us an umbrella!

While we were there we reported a crack in our bathroom sink, we weren't certain if it was there when were arrived or not and told the staff so (although we knew that we had done NOTHING to cause any damage!). They just said to forget about it and thanks for informing them. HOWEVER, as we were waiting for our return to Knock, the hotel owner (who didn't even bother to introduce himself) approached us and asked for a CONTRIBUTION TOWARDS THE COST OF A REPLACEMENT SINK!!! Another TA member stayed at the Clew Bay prior to myself and she has also reported in her review that she had a cracked sink in her bathroom, I have sent her a message asking the room number (as I would find it most interesting to see if she stayed in the same room) but as yet she hasn't replied.

This was a short break away to celebrate my birthday. My choices were Rome or Ireland. I am of Irish descent and have never visited Ireland before so I made Westport my choice. I am not one to moan as I love to love all my holidays and short breaks away BUT I was left feeling disappointed with my first experience of Ireland and wish that I had gone to Rome instead... it would have cost a lot less too!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mistyxx
Reviewed August 17, 2008

We stayed at the Clew Bay Hotel for one night in July 2008 and we had a great time. The owners and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We were a large family group, and the hotel was able to accommodate us for dinner on short notice as well. Some of our group utlized the adjacent health center for a swim, which was welcome after a long day of [stressful] driving to get to Westport from Tipperary. The rooms were very nice, and clean and comfortable. Some in our group were in the newly renovated section of the hotel and the rest of us were in the "older" section, but no complaints about either type.
The breakfast, which was included in our rate, was very good as well.
Mary at the front desk was particularly helpful, and directed us to a local tire shop to have our left [of course] front tire replaced [as noted, stressful driving!!].
The hotel is right in the center of town, and has ample parking in an adjacent lot.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2008

We stayed at the Clew Bay for 6 days, and found it to be very conveniently located in the center of town, very comfortable and with a top-notch staff. Rooms are very clean, if somewhat small. This is an old building, so the rooms come with some "quirks", and not all are alike or even the same size or configuration. You may or may not get a tub, you may get a spacious double or a cramped double. But you don't come to Westport to stay in your room, so it's okay! Note: bring your own hair dryer. Theirs are oddly anchored into the bureau drawer and not very powerful.

The food and staff in the restaurant were both excellent and the same is true for the bistro and the bar/lounge. Every member of this hotel staff goes out of their way to make sure you have everything you need. The owner seemed to always be around, and he never failed to stop and speak and ask how things were going. I would go out of my way to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family