“Excellent Hotel. What you'd expect from the west of Ireland!!”
Review of Clew Bay Hotel

Clew Bay Hotel
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Westport
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent Hotel. What you'd expect from the west of Ireland!!”
Reviewed April 26, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend recently. We've been to Westport numerous times over the years but decided to stay here for the first time. My wife had stayed here on a girls weekend not too long ago and couldn't speak highly enough of it. I was a bit dubious having read some of the previous reviews but, as with most reviews, they are every person's own point of view. The majority of reviews here rate the hotel very highly and I have to agree. Hard to say enough about it really. Nice, clean and comfortable rooms. Friendly, attentive staff. Great breakfast in the mornings and, again, staff that are more than attentive to your needs. Can't recommend it highly enough and will definitely stay here again.

I'm very fussy about hotels and particularly the staff, the welcome, and general friendliness. Don't be put off by the bad reviews.

Definitely recommended!!

Room Tip: Centrally located. Convenient to everything.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Four of us booked a package deal - €125 for 2 nights B&B with dinner...and transfers to and from Croagh Patrick with packed lunches!! I would highly recommend this package because its extremely good value for money. The staff and owner couldnt have done more for us. It was a very friendly and relaxed atmosphere and we had a great room in the corner of the hotel which was bright and spacious. Westport is a great town....so tidy and we loved the shops...and the food. We are planning our next trip already!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Cookstown, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2011

It is amazing this is ony a 3 star hotel-it merits better. We saw an offer in the Irish Times for a 2 day stay plus free cycle hire in Westport and decided to give it a go, not having done anything like that before. The hotel was excellent, clean, comfortable with spacious modernised rooms. Though there was a "hen party" at the hotel we were never disturbed. The restaurant was first class and the pleasant touch of a free coffee/tea in the bar on arrival was very welcome. The breakfast was all you could want and the hotel gave us a packed lunch for the bicycle hire. We did the new Western Greenway track from Newport to Mulranny-38km in total and highly recommended. All in all we really enjoyed our visit, it was excellent value and we will certainly return to this hotel.
Jim and Geraldine McAdam

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jim_mcadam
Weybridge, UK
Reviewed March 18, 2011

I had read from a previous Trip Advisor report that the bedrooms were dark and would fully agree as had to ask for extra lighting to be able to read the computer keyboard. The room layout was strange as the desk was not located near plugs of the internet connection plug and had to drape around the TV.
The brochure indicates its near a babbling brook but most of the rooms overlook the public car park or the main road .
We were happy to leave

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Noel G
Montague, Canada
Reviewed February 13, 2011

My wife and I and another couple stayed at the Clew Bay Hotel on a 55+three day break. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the staff were wonderful, the breakfast selection was great and the evening meals were very good quality and nicely presented. The owner Darren Madden made a point of introducing himself and was most welcoming,The location of the hotel is ideal for those who like to walk around Westport and the rooms were spotless. We are looking forward to a return next year

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Glostermin
Ireland
Reviewed February 8, 2011

This hotel was just the kind of base we wanted to stay in to explore the county. It's centrally located in Westport and the room was clean. We didn't eat breakfast as we thought it was a little over-priced but there were a number of cafes in the area (including one just across the road) in which you can get a good value breakfast.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Wexford
Reviewed February 2, 2011

I should state first-off that I haven't stayed in this hotel, and am writing on behalf of my parents!

My boyfriend and I often visit Westport, and the Clew Bay is a hotel I've often wanted to visit, but as we generally book at short notice it has never been available before when we wanted to go there.

I wanted to book a weekend there as a gift to my parents, but was a little put off by a recent review I saw by a guest. Nonetheless, I rang the hotel and mentioned the review, and the receptionist quickly informed me that they were aware of the review and that they would happily put my parents in a different, newly refurbished part of the hotel.

This impressed me lots, and put my mind at ease.

Anyways, for what it's worth, my parents loved the place. The room, the food, everything. Had the best holiday in years! :)

Thanks for that. :)