“I left feeling deflated”

Knockranny House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Westport
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

We were really looking forward to our first break away in a long time. Upon arrival we were checked-in swiftly to our very spacious room.
We had a room facing the Reek and it was marvelous to wake up to it. The décor was dated and in need of new wallpaper but we were very comfortable. The bathroom was a good size with enough shelves for our many toiletries, and had a working jacuzzi for one. It begs for refurbishment too.
The swimming pool was modern and clean. It was manned by a surly staff who still insists on swimcaps at this day and age! The facilities were all very well maintained. It just lacks a swimsuit dryer.
At the bar the staff were very attentive. We sat to watch a rugby match and our drinks did not arrive with nibbles. They had to be ordered at a separate charge (for a 4* hotel?).
We heard good reviews of La Fougère and it did not disappoint! The food was excellent. Breakfast was served there as well and their house-smoked salmon is yum and their own granola is the best I've ever tasted. They also sell them at the reception at an exorbitant price but so scrummy!
There was a wedding reception held at the hotel during our stay and we hardly noticed the party at all. However the restaurant had difficulty accommodating such a large capacity for breakfast. We had to queue to be seated but that did not bother us at all as long as we were served eventually.
Overall I feel the staff need retraining in hospitality services. I did not feel our fine dining experience benefitted from the staffs' rough handling of tableware and a smile always go a long way!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MayBurns
There are newer reviews for Knockranny House Hotel

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed with my wife for a long weekend. Top class food with a really interesting menu. Has a spa which my wife enjoyed. Great area for touring. I had forgotten how beautiful Mayo is. I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dreamont
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Spent a weekend here with my husband in November, overall a very positive stay. We booked a deal with Tower Suite room, Spa Treatments & 1 Dinner in La Fougere Restaurant.

Our Tower Suite room on the second floor was spacious and comfortable with excellent views of Croagh Patrick & Clew Bay and there was a lovely four poster bed. The other furniture and some of the décor in the room requires some upgrading or restoration, cup stains and scratches on the furniture, faded/water stained wall paper in the tower part of the room, the bathroom could also do with some upgrading, particularly the shower head and a little more attention to the vacuming and dusting overall.

The Spa treatments were excellent the and SPA staff friendly and welcoming, particularly Mary M. and Valerie. The vitatity pool area is lovely, though it's a pity the wet floor signs are permanently on display. The steam rooms could do with some upgrading with missing tiles and ugly white boxes.

La Fougere restaurant, the food was excellent and the staff attentive.

The bar food (Brehon Bar) which we had the second day was average. The staff are friendly in the bar but seem to be constantly run off their feet so service can be a little slow.
However, the cocktails in the bar are first class, really tasty and nice to see such a good choice.

Reception staff also polite and friendly.

Style of the hotel is country old-world cosy, lots of dark wood and carpet. Overall, a very positive stay, altough some upgrading required.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CarolineNi
Reviewed November 4, 2013

luxury, luxury,luxury. Everything was perfect from the moment we entered the grounds until we left. I attended a wedding here and I will be back to enjoy a 2 night break. The room my friend stayed in was supberb, the food and service delightful. Thank you management and staf.f

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rosaleen301
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My Wife and I stayed here in October and it was great! The room, the restaurant, setting, view, spa. Everything about it was perfect, I can't think of one place where they fell short. We both agree that it was the best hotel experience we've ever had. Our suite included breakfast and (2) meals, which seemed to be a very good deal. Would recommend Knockranny to anyone.

Room Tip: Try to get view of Croagh Patrick
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dchambers2013
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We had our ceremony and reception here and all I can say is wow . The food is to die for . The staff could not do enough for us and went out of their way to make this a very special couple of days for us . We and our guests went away with lots of fun happy and very special memories . A very special thank you to Clare for all her help and kindness from our first meeting to book the wedding . To Adrian and Geraldine your staff and hotel are amazing . And we will be back very soon ( minus the inflatable guitars ) .i cannot praise knockranny enough for all they did for us and again many thanks for such special memories .

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 090267
Reviewed October 30, 2013

As a graduate of hospitality and somebody who works in a five star hotel I am usually very observant of everything a hotel has to offer.This property is in an excellent location and has a beautiful building to offer its guests. However the level of personal service is excellent. The reception, restaurant and porters even are all genuinely interested in making your experience of the hotel special.The rooms are kept very well and presented excellently with the smallest touches making a better impression. I could not recommend this hotel enough. If they keep this standard they will achieve a deserved five stars. On my visit I used every facility to get a good feel of the entire operation and without fault this place exceeded my expectations. Well done on providing irish hospitality at its best!

Room Tip: I stayed in the presidential suite and I would recommend spending that extra bit for a suite or delu...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple