“Totally Terriffic”

Knockranny House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Westport
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed for three nights in March this year to celebrate hubbys' big birthday. Booked a superior room which claimed some with reek views which I asked for on phone with receptionist -this is my only gripe- she told me a room with view could not be guaranteed and seemed to be very uncaring of the fact it was a special occassion, I almost phoned back and cancelled as I really wanted this to be special, boy was I glad I didn't! We were accommodated in a fabulous courtyard suite and although no view it was total luxury at every level, plus hubby treated to birthday greetings and handmade chocs on the day. The bathroom was enormous with seperate shower and jacuzzi bath plus speakers from the music system in the bedroom - bliss! The bed was so comfortable for two people with back trouble, our sleep so good, we ended up buying a similar mattress with the aid of information from Claire a most helpful staff member. All the staff were efficient and friendly and so professional from housekeeping to restaurant staff, it just makes such a difference. we were treated like royalty, always seemed to get a great window location in restaurant for dinner and breakfast, allowing us to enjoy the truly sumptuous food while revelling in the scenery. There was entertainment in the bar on Saturday night which allowed us to have a drink in comfort as Westport at the weekend came be a bit rowdy in spots.
Overall our Knockranny experience was truly wonderful and I was so happy that our special occassion seemed to matter and was well catered for, very important in these times when spending hard earned money its great to feel you're getting value and its appreciated. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Courtyard Suites are total luxury!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,497)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We enjoyed the spacious room and comfy bed, but the noise from the bar and parking lot kept us up late most of the 7 nights that we stayed there. I was appalled that they would allow loud music in the bar until midnight when the bar is so close to sleeping areas. The spa is nice but children under 18 are not allowed in the pool, which was a huge disappointment for my niece and nephew. Additionally, the sauna in the spa was not working and the water in the pool is freezing. Breakfast was good, but service was extremely slow. This is a gorgeous hotel with fabulous views of Croagh Patrick and I would recommend it, but bring earplugs!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the bar! (But you will give up the view of Croagh Patrick.)
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Knockranny house is beautiful. WE stayed in the grand delux rooms which were very spacious. WE had dinner on two nights which was high quality and the menu was different on both nights. The breakfast has great choice. The spa is luxurious. WEstport town itself is 5 minute walk for great craic and ceoil. We tried to stay on an extra night but it was booked out and I can see why. Fantastic stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank clacol
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We expected great things from this hotel as we had heard great reviews. However the hotel did not meet expectations in all areas.
We had a massive room which was nicely decorated and had a massive bed. The bathroom was also massive but the fixtures and fittings need attention.

The hotel has a lovely spa and leisure centre and spa. It has a French restaurant which we ate in on one of our nights here. The food was very nice but not outstanding. The bar is very quiet and quite formal. All other hotels in westport offer live music through the week in the summer. There was no entertainment in the bar despite the hotek being fully booked and the atmosphere therefore was dull. It is such a pity a pianist is not employed to play the grand piano in the dining room or bar as it would add to the dining experience.

The hotel is a short walk to westport town centre and had great parking.

We enjoyed our room but we felt the general atmosphere in the hotel was flat and lifeless. We would stay here again if we were coming to westport but we wouldn't specifically come to westport to stay here!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Kashla
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We would stay at Knockranny regularly and have written good reviews on the food in the past as this is why we stay there. Prior to going this month I had read the odd review about poor service and food quality but put it down to a one off, not to be, the food was ok, nothing to put a finger on ( apart from a joke isalad starter, few leaves, an olive, 2 wafer thin sliced of carrot) but we had a better meal in a nearby Hotel. Service pleasant enough but massive waits between course while a reduced staff set op for breakfast resulting in almost 3 hour dinner. I will think again about returning as Ive always found that although the Hotel advertising goes on about the views the bedrooms although large and well furnished are dark with no views and as I said it was always about the evening meal!!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank webbellis
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Attended wedding recently and was had expected it to be a little better. The hotel is lovely and the location is fab. The few disappointing things included, no extra potatoes for anybody, no extra veg at any tables. It would not have been much to ask to have a bit of extra veg for people if they wanted it.

In relation to the starters, it was presented with little imagination. Bit more thought could have been put in.

The deserts came out and were nice. They were short of milk at our table as only 1 jug for a very big table.

All in all, hotel is lovely but expected a bit more from it as it is a nice bit dearer than sister hotel down town.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I arrived there for a wedding at the hotel. The service was really good even though they were very busy. I was given a corner room on the top floor, and was very satisfied, it was smallish but I was on my own and that was not a problem. The whole stay was great I was never disappointed with the service, either the front desk, the bar or the dining room. They managed to cope with a very large (350 guest) wedding reception and I would recommend this to anyone. And if I could figure out how to get the comfiest bed I have ever slept in into my luggage I might well have done it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends