“geat weekend gate away”
Review of Harbour Mill

Harbour Mill
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Westport
Reviewed November 9, 2007

I brought my girlfriend for a weekend break in westport and stayed in the harbour mill apartments, and it was great. We got an apartment to the front with a great view of the harbour and with our own living space it was great. we also had a fully equiped kitchen but never got around to using it because we were so spoilt for choice with local places to eat!!! the staff were great with recommending good places to eat and drink, even organised taxi's for us. They have a sauna, jacquzzi and steam room on site which was great for relaxing. A great weekend was had and we'll defiantly be recommending it to our friends!!!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business

Reviewed November 2, 2007

The apartments are good and clean but lack character. The manageress was abrupt but the other staff were lovely.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank HWDublin
Reviewed October 25, 2007

My wife, daughter and I are just back from a mid-week stay - 4 nights - at The Harbour Mill, Westport, Co. Mayo.
The apartment accommodation is spacious and very clean. Nice touch having fresh milk and tea in the fridge when we are arrived. The facilities are good with a spa, sauna etc and our daughter loved the new childerns play area.

The staff were all extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble. This extra welcome made all the difference.
The free use of the leisure centre in the town centre was a great help for the rainy mornings.

The place was perfect for us for a mid-winter break.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank John2014dd
Reviewed August 23, 2007

Having read a varied array of reviews on these apartments on Trip Advisor before my visit, my boyfriend and I decided to stay here last week.
My overall impression is that the service is excellent - the ladies behind reception (and John the night porter!) were just smashing. Nothing was too much bother for them. Booked us restaurants and taxis - made recommendations which were spot on etc. They really were very helpful. However, the downside was the level of accommodation. We were on the 4th floor and the decor was very dated. The en-suite smelled of damp which seeped into the room. But the worst thing for us was the noise levels. The complex is centred around courtyard and our bedroom was on the side of the open space. There were alot of metal railings etc. and we were awoken early each morning by children playing and their noise reverberated off all the metal which really exagerated each screech. We are a couple in our early 30's and it was late when we got to bed each night. So our long lie in's are sacred. Obviously no one wants to deny children having fun, and we completely understand they are early risers, Our general advice is to choose what time of the year you go there carefully. If you are footloose and fancy free like us - avoid school holiday time. If you are after quite nights - avoid weekends when stags and hens are liable to wake you up in the dead of night.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank clairefromcork
Reviewed July 21, 2007

My extended family rented seven apartments at Harbour Mill in January, 2007. My two-bedroom, two bath apartment had the most spacious living room/dining room/kitchen (one big room), and it was fine to have 9 people over for breakfast every day. They do supply dishwasher tablets. We asked for some from the receptionist. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, and handled the pressure of several families showing up at once.

However, we did NOT have good hot water. The water was also rusty, yuk. The other units were fine, so I had maintenance come out to look at ours-twice. They couldn't correct the problem. They offered us a choice of two other units, but they had bad views, and my mother liked being surrounded by family, so we didn't move. The individually controlled bedroom heat was more than adequate. The beds were comfortable, and the leather sofas were very comfortable.

As someone else mentioned, there is a mini-market a few doors down, but there is also a real grocery store about 8 minutes walk uphill. There is a parking lot, and the prices were not much more than going downtown to shop.

All in all, I would recommend it for a large family gathering. My family really liked it. I attached some pictures...sorry I didn't take some before we started making a mess. If I went back alone, I might check out the helm?

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank sheeelaaa
Reviewed July 13, 2007

First off, the good news - the Harbour Mill is situated in a fantastic location - great pubs and shops nearby, plus a fabulous view of Westport Harbour (if you ignore the fish factory!).

However, there is no way this can be described as "four star luxury" (and priced accordingly)....We believed the hype on the Harbour Mill website and booked to stay in a "penthouse" apartment, where we'd been assured of luxury and comfort, together with family-friendly accommodation - perfect for our first holiday away with our new baby, who loves his home comforts.

The penthouse may have been nice when it was first opened, I'm guessing around 1995, but the years have not been kind - a few of the "highlights" included

- a beat-up blue leather settee in the living room with a suspicious white stain all the way down the back of it (which I'd like to believe was nothing more sinister than baby milk!)
- grubby french windows to the balcony, which afforded great harbour views as long as you were tall enough to see out over the wall
- bathroom with bath about 6 inches deep with a yellow-stained base (baby was excused from being washed all week!)
- bathroom floors of industrial lino, the likes of which I last saw in the maternity ward....
- a "welcome pack" of a couple of coffee and tea sachets plus a dirty old dishwasher brush I wouldn't clean my toilet with

We'd picked to stay on the top floor as we thought this would be relatively quieter than the other floors - unfortunately the courtyard layout coupled with paper-thin walls made us feel like we were part of every stag/hen party that was going on there last weekend (read the small print - they do accept group bookings but are family friendly!!!)

We have stayed in a number of self catering houses and apartments in Ireland, many of which were also four-star rated, and the Harbour Mill did not come anywhere near close to the others in terms of quality of furniture and fittings, cleanliness etc. My advice would be - go to Westport, but get some real 3 star accommodation at 3 star prices and save your money for the pubs!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank BairdyMC
Reviewed July 5, 2007

Myself, my husband, my daugther and her friend stayed in the harbour mill apartments for 3 nights. The apartment was lovely and very clean and spacious we could not complain at all. The girls had a separate room which was great for them to have their own space. They loved it but they did complain about the fact that the swimming pool is not on site and that you have to use the one in the leisure centre in the middle of town which is a 15 minute walk away. I was under the impression it was in the hotel nearby. The only other issue I would have is that there is not a proper licensed bar on the premises only a wine bar. We ate in the Ashgard a nearby pub/restaurant and it was lovely also ate in the Harbourmaster bar which is part of the Atlantic Coast Hotel and the food was delicious (try the cod and chips). We also ate in town in restaurant called Solrio food gorgeous bit more expensive than the others but worth it. Westport is a lovely town very clean and pretty. We went to the Cinema and the facilities were very good. Would definately use the apartments again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family