“Enjoyable, but not as good as last time”

An Port Mor Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 88 Restaurants in Westport
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: An Port Mór Restaurant is run by Chef-Proprietor Frankie Mallon. Our philosophy is to use seasonal, artisan produce from local suppliers. House specialities include pot roasted pigs cheeks with black pudding & apple and vanilla sauce and 21 day dry-aged sirloin. The main emphasis is, however, on local fresh seafood and shellfish, particularly lobster, crab, scallops and langoustines fresh from the west coast of Ireland, especially Clew Bay.
Dublin, Ireland
“Enjoyable, but not as good as last time”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Went here on Friday. We've been before. Not quite as good on this occasion. The restaurant was very quiet. I was disappointed that neither my starter or main course was piping hot. Both were only warm. I decided not to say anything but its a basic thing for any restaurant to get right. The younger server was quite friendly. Service overall was good. This is our third time here. We heard on this visit to Westport that there are a number of other good restaurant options in town. I think we'd probably look at one of those next time - only because we have not looked for other options on previous visits.

My wife had fish cakes to start. I had the pigs cheek. Both dishes were delicious. My chicken main course would have been perfect if served hot. Do I recommend this restaurant? Absolutely, yes.

• Visited February 2013
AnPortMor, Owner at An Port Mor Restaurant, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear FDonohue,
Thanks you for taking the time to write this review. I am sorry to hear your experience was not as expected. I am also sorry that you did not mention this to any of our waiting staff on Friday night, as this could have been easily rectified. This is an unusual occurrence in our restaurant and I apologise that you felt you did not get the best of us.
Many thanks,
Frankie Mallon
Chef/Proprietor

• Finnish first
Kenmare, Ireland
“Food excellent; doubts about the overall package.”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Dined there recently in this attractive unit. Food Excellent; Chef clearly is skilled.
Floor service, friendly, timely and efficient.
Pigs cheek and Black Pudding dish, a real star.

The night was pretty cold, and the premises is not designed to retain heat, so its easy to be warm on one side and cold on the other.

However the food an attitude of the staff compensated - I would love to see the same team operating from a unit better suited to our winter weather.

Dear CoKerry10,
Thanks for taking the time to write a very nice review. We appreciate all your all comments and positive feedback. In relation to your comments about the original stone building, while it makes the town very attractive from a heritage point of view, I will admit it can be on the cool side at times - particularly during the recent unseasonably cold snap. Bearing this in mind, we are currently in the process of refurbishment, which will balance the heating issue and make the restaurant much cosier. Thanks again for your comments.
Frankie Mallon
Chef\Proprietor
dublin
“Whats the Hurry!!!!!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Dined here with my partner last Saturday night. Our table was booked for 9.00pm and we arrived promptly at 9.00pm, and were shown to our table straight away. The table was situated in what could only be described as a hall way/corridor and it was right beside the toliets, where there was a constant draft all evening.
Not withstanding this we were looking forward to a leisurely, romantic evening with good food and wine and to be honest we were dissappointed on this front. However we couldn't get over how quickly our courses arrived, as be 9.45 we were on our dessert!!!!! 3/4 of an hour!!!!
Starters were lovely, I had the pigs cheek and my husband had the pate. Mains I had the rump of lamb and my husband had the cornfed chicken both of which were very tasty, but to be honest both dishes looked very similar when looking at the plate and I think the presentation of same somewhat let it down, although as I started earlier, both tasty.
Desserts again both good, I had the caramel pot with praline and my husband the chocolate cake which was lovely.
To be honest we would have to question as to how far in advance the food is prepared as we barely got a chance to let each course digest before being handed the next!!!!
All in all the food here is good honest food, service not good, far too fast for our liking, and if booking make sure you're not sitting near the toilets!!!!
The rushed meal we had really took from our dining experience, which to be honest would have been lovely all told.

1 Thank loraine q
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyable”
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Found the staff welcoming and friendly. The food was lovely fresh and tasty. The service was excellent and we weren't waiting very long at all. As we were hitting the early bird menu it was quiet maybe too much so for some but after a long day travelling it was nice to relax and enjoy some lovely food! Only suggestion I could make would be to increase the vegetables!!

1 Thank McLimi
Westmeath, Ireland
“Gorgeous food but my review will tell the rest”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend ate here this weekend. The food was delicious but we were seated at the table in An port Mor's profile picture directly opposite the reception desk which was also the entrance to the kitchen so anytime anyone came in or out of the restaurant they had to pass us and the same with the kitchen. It was very distracting. Also anytime the front door was opened there was a breeze so state when booking that you don't want to be seated there. The staff were not overly friendly and were right beside us chatting which I felt was very unprofessional. We were very very happy with both our starters and our mains. We did not have dessert as there was not a great selection. We would defiantly go back for the food and state to be seated somewhere else as I am sure it would be a lovely experience.

3 Thank Deirdre403