“Another Gem”

Ranked #48 of 69 Westport B&B and Inns
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
“Another Gem”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I cannot understand the previous (terrible) review. Are they sure they stayed at this delightful place? Perhaps not - Joe & Bridget could not have more welcoming. The bedroom and en-suite bathroom were both spotless and well furnished for this type of establishment. Good advice given for both evening dining and for touring the area (do not miss Achill Island).
Breakfast was freshly cooked and easily enough for a chap of my bulk. Good chat about interesting photos and "Hole in One" certificate in breakfast room.
I will stay here again if in the area and I highly recommend this establisment.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Recently stayed here for one saturday night while in Westport for a wedding. Firstly, we received a call from the proprietor on the day of the wedding wondering where we were. As with all weddings, it was hard to get away at a particular time. Cue a most unfriendly B&B owner, and my sister having to leave the reception to collect the keys at a very inconvenient time.The room was cold and not particularly clean. The room was booked for three, although only two stayed, and we were charged €90. This was explained as the original booking was for three people. I would accept this, however, there was not even enough hot water for one shower in the morning, let alone three. And the fact that we already stated we were not for breakfast. Not to mention being shouted at through the door at 10am to get up as they wanted to 'clear the room'. Overall, not a very professional setup in my opinion. Many people will stay here and encounter no problems, but I would encourage people to go to one of the many other B&Bs in the Wesport area who will appreciate your custom with a helpful, welcoming demeanor, and enough hot water for a shower!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank galwaysean
White Rock, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This is the best B&B in Westport. Perfect central location, 3 min walk to Quay and 5 min walk to town center. The owners Joe and Bridget went above and beyond to make our stay as comfortable as possible. They were both very helpful and knowledgable of the area and were more than happy to suggest locations and activities for us to visit and do while on vacation. Extremely clean and comfortable rooms, great breakfasts and great Croagh Patrick views. I would recommend this B&B to my family, friends or anyone going to visit Westport. We had a great trip thanks to Joe, Bridget and the Broadlands B&B. You wont be disappointed.

Pat and Andrea (Vancouver, Canada)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Barrow, Alaska
Reviewed April 9, 2012

This B&B was centrally located to access either Westport or the attractions along the bay. The hosts, Joe & Bridget were the best part of the stay. Thanks to Joe's advice we went to some places that weren't on our itinerary and saw some of the best countryside of our trip. The room was spotless and cozy and breakfast was wonderful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Fort Worth TX
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I spent a lot of time reading reviews of B&B's in Ireland before making reservations. There was not one bad review of this place and I understand why. Bridget and Joe, the owners, were wonderful hosts, asking if we needed anything but they were not intrusive. I even left a small gift for Bridget as a thank you. I will be staying with them again when I take my son to Ireland this summer. I could not give this place a 5 star rating only because it took me and my best friend an additional 20 minutes to find the turn that went down an "alley" to the actual B&B. We thought we turned onto someone's private property. This property does not sit next to the road.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This is a wonderful B&B. Extremely comfortable, cosy, clean room and shower and a GREAT breakfast - EXACTLY what I asked for. But what makes it are the 'management team' - Bridget and Joe. Lovely friendly people who went out of their way to assist us with our trip, providing great advice and guidance, maps, and leaflets, and superb recommendations on trips, shopping and night-life. They're a credit to Mayo and Westport and the calibre of Ireland's B and Bs. And great value for money too. I've stayed in dozens of B and Bs in Ireland over the years and this has to be one of the best and one of my favourites. Highly recommended if you're in the area.
Gary Curtis, London.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The host was able to give lots of good tips about sightseeing in the county of Mayo - I got all the more out of my time there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo