“Found the best, most affordable spot”

Mill Times Hotel Westport
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Westport
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We checked a couple guide books and ended up walking into the Mill Times after two others didn't really do it for us. This place was HALF the price of the big one around the corner, and just a bit more than the small, dark one on the canal. We loved it right from the lobby-cozy and comfortable. Nice sized rooms, remodeled baths, elevators, a restaurant on site and located right in the middle of town. Breakfast was included for two of us. A larger bed would've been nice but we're getting used to that. Great deal, nice spot. Very nice night.

Room Tip: Wifi does not work in the rooms on the 3 floor, but you can go to the lobby.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
milltimeshotel, Front Office Manager at Mill Times Hotel Westport, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Thank you ChicoStateMom for taking the time to write a review of Mill Times Hotel Westport. We appreciate your feedback and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed good times at the Mill Times! We are pleased that you found our welcoming and friendly staff on hand to help and we hope to welcome you back to Westport on your next trip to Ireland!
Colette Moran, Front of House Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,010)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were so impressed with the Mill Times from the moment we walked in. Geraldine on reception was lovely, very informative about places to eat and drink. She recommended eating in the bar for lunch and we weren't disappointed. The soup and sandwich deal was excellent value and we both agreed that it was the tastiest soup we had ever had. We also dined in the hotel that evening and the food was absolutely beautiful. The service was excellent, in particular from the manageress whose name we didn't get. Breakfast was equally impressive the next day.
This hotel is classified as a three star but we both agree that it was on the upper scale of this rating. We'll definitely be back.
We'd love the recipe for the vegetable soup!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LMcQuaid

Dear LMcQuaid, thank you for taking the time to write a review of Mill Times Hotel Westport. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed good times at the Mill Times. Our breakfast is cooked to order with a variety of cold buffet choices, and customer service is our forte ensuring all our guests feel at home, while staying us. Our location is very central to the many shops, pubs and restaurants in Westport town.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us on your next visit to Westport,
Warm regards,

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here 2 weeks ago! All staff and management we met were lovely and friendly - can't remember any names! food was also very nice and rooms were a nice size! residents bar also stayed open till late!! Only thing that we would have commented on is people passing through while we had a function on during the meal and speeches as they also had a function on in the next room!! ... got a little bit annoying. Enjoyed our stay over all though

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much Karenx8 for taking the time to write a review of Mill Times Hotel Westport. We appreciate your feedback and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed good times at the Mill Times! We are pleased that you found our welcoming and friendly staff on hand to help. We appreciate you highlighting where we need to improve our services and your feedback has been brought to the attention of our General Manager.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I really didnt want to have to put up this review but I wasn't really left with much choice in the matter unfortunately!

I stayed at this hotel 2 weeks ago whilst on a hen party! So I guess when a hotel or one hears the word hen party, they are going to think that they wouldn't care of what therr accommodation is like, well not me!

On arrival at the hotel, we checked in and when we arrived to our room it was clean and basic enough but it suited fine. I was sharing the room and noticed when we were leaving that the door struggled to close and did'nt lock!! So no way was I going to stay there, nevermind leave my belongings there! I went down to reception to speak with Kathryn (receptionist) and she sent the manager John up with me (holding a drill) to look at the door! He assured me that he knew what the problem was (obviously not the first time) and that he would get it fixed! I told him that we had to be somewhere and asked how long would it take! He told me to go ahead and he gave me the reassurance that my belongings were going to be safe and that the room door would be fixed when we returned during the early hours of the next morning! "Yes, yes I promise you it will be fixed" he replied. What we could do we had to be elsewhere so I trusted him to fix the door!

Just as I thought, we landed back at 3.10am roughly and our door was ajar and no not fixed nor able to be locked!
The manager John again happened to be coming up the hall after us with the till float in his hand and I will admit I got so angry regarding this door! He explained that it had been fixed when he left it earlier, so apparently it broke again, eventhough we hadn't been back since!

I demanded to be moved or the door to be fixed, he said he would sort it! He landed back a couple of minutes later, that felt like an eternity when all we wanted was our bed, with another hotel worker. The played around with the door, muttering so it was difficult to hear what they were saying and the conclusion was that the door lock was banjaxed! So can you tell me how he "thought" it was fixed earlier!!

I demanded to be moved and explained that this was not good enough, we went out for the night after paying UPFRONT for a hotel room trusting that our stuff would be safe etc! The hotel thought that we were a typical hen party,that would come home drunk & not notice the door - wrong! I would not sleep anywhere with an open door nevermind one that barely closed shut!

He went off to look at another room and came back again and said that he hadnt anything for us! At this stage, we were contemplating driving home. He came back & said he was going to put us in the Atlantic Coast Hotel and that he did do! So at 4.50am we arrived at the new hotel freezing and very tired and pissed off! Granted they did cover the cost of the new hotel (which we had 4 hours sleep in) and the taxi there and back but that is not good enough! 2 girls should not have to leave their hotel room at 5am in the morning because their hotel door doesn't close!

We arrived back to the Mill Times the next morning to pick up our car and spoke to the receptionist who said Francis the manager wanted to speak to us! He had been left a "Note" by John regarding our stay. He apologied and I explained that it was not good enough by no standard and especially to have to be moved in the middle of the night! Then to get such a effortless response from John, I had to tell him I wanted to be moved - he thought we would just stay there - very laid back and inconvenienced by us!!

So Francis didn't appear to want much to do with us & I noticed he was trying to get away from us! He said he only seen the note and wasn't there! Well I work in the customer service industry everyday and let me tell you if you haven't enough information left to you, then you contact the person who was on duty when the problem occured -it's not rocket science!!

Then I asked him are we going to get some form a refund, "No Ms ...., I would be unable to do that for you as we paid for the other hotel etc" Yes I understood that but that was not on what we had to go through & furthermore, now knowing that our belongings were available for anyone to rob! I told him that I would be putting a review on tripadvisor.ie as I did not feel the standard of the hotel was great! He told me that he would not be held to ransom by my threats and that he could maybe offer us another hotel voucher" Why would I want to come back here I explained after the unsecure and bad response we got the first time!

To be honest, I didnt want a full refund at all we would have been happy with half of it or that (€45), then again I should have known better as we had to pay in full when we checked in, despite the fact that I had paid a €50 deposit a few weeks previous!

Very bad customer service, not a great hotel by any standard and yes I am telling anybody that will listen! It has put me right off Westport as a travel location!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank IrelandERM
01Management, General Manager at Mill Times Hotel Westport, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Dear IrelandERM,
The team here at the Mill Times Hotel was very disappointed to learn of the difficulties experienced during your stay. Our aim is to exceed the expectations of each guest and it is unfortunate when this does not happen.
I would like to assure you that we are treating each point seriously and we will do our utmost to remedy the issues that you have brought to our attention
A detailed report from the night in question was completed by the Manager on Duty (John) and when I was speaking with you I was fully brief on the incident and once again I apologise for the inconvenience caused, earlier in the evening John had resolved the issue with the lock on your bedroom door and it was closing and locking with no issues as he had promised before you departed the hotel, however when you returned to the Hotel at 3am this was brought to Johns attention again. Once I was aware of the incident the next morning I followed up and again the lock on the door was locking correctly. Unfortunately we were unable to offer you another room at 3am as we were fully booked so we were left with no option other than to accommodate you in another Hotel as requested.
The following morning when I had met you I was not ‘trying to get away’ as Manager of the Hotel I take full responsibility for any incidents that arise. Your use of language during our conservation was inappropriate and you requested a full refund or you would put a bad review on Trip Advisor.
Your comments are noted and will be used to improve on the areas you have mentioned.
As per our conservation on departure please contact me directly as I hope you would consider returning to us sometime in the future so we can provide you with the true quality service we strive to achieve daily
Regards

Francis Breslin

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a brilliant two night stay at The Mill Times.....warm comfortable rooms with filtered bottles of water a very nice touch. Food delicious with varied menu at very affordable prices, friendly helpful staff, this hotel is extremely child friendly and even has its own playroom. All this and beautiful Westport town, loved browsing the local shops, there is a really excellent public pool in Westport to relax in, and Croagh Patrick nearby to climb if you feel really energetic. Westport was voted the best place to live in Ireland and it sure is!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
01Management, Front Office Manager at Mill Times Hotel Westport, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Thank you Heritage Ireland for taking the time to write a review of Mill Times Hotel Westport.
We appreciate your feedback and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed good times at the Mill Times! We are pleased that you found our welcoming and friendly staff on hand to help, and your children enjoyed our Cheeky Monkeys Club open every Sunday.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here as part of a stag of 20 plus midlanders. Everyone was very happy with the hotel with the exception of the extremely warm rooms during the night. The staff were very helpful, big bedrooms and a very tasty breakfast. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you Barnabybear1 for taking the time to write a review of Mill Times Hotel Westport.
We appreciate your feedback and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed good times at the Mill Times on your recent Stag Party, and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

A friend and I recently made a return visit to the Mill Times, and were not disappointed. From arrival and check in onwards the staff were friendly and helpful throughout. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and breakfasts excellent with a wide selection to meet all tastes. It was a pleasure to relax in Sam's well stocked Cafe Bar, where prices were very reasonable. A good selection of bar meals with generous portions were available throughout the day, and there was entertainment in the evenings. Conveniently located in the centre of Westport I would certainly recommend the Mill Times for a break in the west.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
milltimeshotel, Front Office Manager at Mill Times Hotel Westport, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Thank you Busfitter once again for taking the time to write a review of Mill Times Hotel Westport. It was a pleasure to welcome you back to Westport again and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay & good times at the Mill Times! We cetainly look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.