“A very enjoyable experience !!!”

Buckfield Inn Westport
Ranked #17 of 69 Westport B&B and Inns
Sligo
“A very enjoyable experience !!!”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Very surprised to read previous review as this was the complete opposite of my experience here. When I arrived, both the lady Carmel and her husband gave me a very warm and friendly welcome. They gave me information on the local area including the green walkway which is a lovely place for walkers and cyclists and very convenient to the Buckfield Inn. Carmel also provides packed lunches on request. The accomodation was spotlessly clean and is kept to a very high standard - and not a spider in sight!! The breakfast was brilliant - just what one needs before setting out on a long walk or cycle!! I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here - I felt really at home. It's a place I would highly recommend and I for one will definitely be back.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 8 and it was very spacious and very quiet and overlooked the garden.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Hilden, Germany
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We (2 adults and 1 teeny) stayed at the Buckfield Inn for 10 nights and enjoyed the time very much. Carmel was very kind to us and we got in touch with the local guests very quickly. The breakfast was good every single day and if something was missing Carmel was helpful to supply something else. She had a lot of tips where to go and what to do and even phoned for bookings if necessary. The rooms were clean and we couldn't complain about anything. It was only a bit outside the city - on one hand this was an advantage, so you could do lang walks around the place, on the other hand it was a bit difficult to get to town if you wanted to listen to some music in the pubs. But no problem - she organized a taxi for a good price... All in all, we'll come back again... :-)

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank MackiMesser
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I was so upset to read the review left by the previous reviewer. My husband my 2 kids and I have stayed here 3 different times and each time it is as fantastic as always our latest stay with Carmel and Paul was for the August bank holiday .Carmel is so friendly and welcoming on each occasion we found the accommodation first class clean and most comfortable. The noise from the pub has never been an issue on any occasion we stayed there, it was something we were a little concerned about before our first visit there but on our first night staying there these concerns disappeared my two kids slept perfectly fine as did Mark and I!! The breakfasts are delicious and so generous far better than you would get in any hotel. We loved every second we spent in Buckfield and I would highly recommend it to any one and have recommended it to friends who have also thoroughly enjoyed their stay. We are already looking forward to our next stay.
Sheila and Mark Byrne

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Sheila B
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 3, 2011

This was my worst B&B experience in Ireland since last 5.5 years. The room was dirty - spider on the ceiling, flies around in bedroom, livingrrom and diningroom. Thick layer of dust on TV and under the bed. Drawer filled with old, empty plastic bags and old magazines. The place is very noise - I was woken up several times during the night by the noise from the pub (I think it stopped around 2.00 am) and the noise made by the lady owner welcoming some guest that arrived late that night. The breakfast was very disappointing - Irish breakfast was very modest and not tasty. Continental breakfast was inedible - some cereal boxes were empty, fruits were rotten and old. Dining room smelled like an old furniture. That put me off eating. And the place is not cheap at all - half price was charged for my 3 year old son, that stayed with us in the double room, where no towel was provided for him (only two towels per room) and the owner was surprised when I asked for a sausage for him for breakfast - she said she tough he would not eat anything for breakfast.
I would not recommend this place for anybody.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank maka78
Mahwah, New Jersey
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We haven't stayed in the inn but we did stop by for a pint. The Fitzgeralds are warm and welcoming and the pub is one of a dying breed serving local clientele. They pour a perfect pint. It's a great stopover just off the Greenway.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank cruising_kitty_57
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 5, 2010

I was traveling solo to Westport for the weekend and stumbled upon Buckfield Inn online and am so happy I did! Carmel is just about as sweet as can get and made me feel so welcome from the moment I arrived. The bed was really comfortable, the room really spacious, they have free wifi, en suite bathrooms and a pub attached to this inn with some very nice local patrons. It's a quick drive into town from the Buckfield and the cab drivers that I met in town all knew exactly where it was. Not to mention the gorgeous traditional Irish breakfast served in the morning! Two thumbs up and I hope to get there again even if just to visit!.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank LittleOld
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 14, 2009

I found the Buckfield Inn by accident, and was so glad I did. The owner/manager Carmel was so welcoming, warm, friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and comfortable, and breakfast was a typical huge Irish breakfast, all home made. Views from the front door were beautiful - the only reason I have marked it down for location was because it is on a very minor road that is easy to miss, but the small isolation had it's benefits too. The accomodation is above the tiny pub frequented by the locals, but there was no noise from there to my room at all. Staying there was one of the highlights of my trip.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo