“Fantastic fish restaurant”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We almost walked past the door of this little family-run restaurant, but so glad we didn't ! It was absolutely wonderful food, the nicest we had during our stay in Westport. There was a great daily specials board, with something for everyone, as well as the regular menu. Went here with family, including our 11 yr olds, who aren't normally that bothered about fish, but they too found it simply delicious. Great service too ; very witty waiter ! Wouldn't hesitate to go back again.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Food was very good with an early bird special that was an excellent value. Good variety. Small restaurant so space was cramped . We had the table by the door so were "bumped" by the wait staff and people coming and going. Reservations were essential. Definitely would go back again!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stopped in without a reservation. Menu looked good and the food did not disappoint, even if a bit pricey.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Upon return to Westport from Connemara, we ate at Mangos Restaurant in Westport, which food was overall rated excellent.

My wife had Mango Salad for starters and a lamb roast which she said was delicious.

I had. for starters, large garlic shrimp, which were probably the best shrimp I have ever eaten. I ordered garlic shrimp in several other top quality restaurants in Ireland during the 12 days we were in Ireland in September of 2013. However,I was never able to match the taste and quality of the large garlic Shrimp served at the Mangos Restaurant. And we have traveled extensively through Europe, Egypt, Asia, New Zealand, Australia and in many parts of Hawaii and the USA mainland, therefore the rating on the Shrimp is truly outstanding. If I ever go back there again, I may just order 3 starters of garlic shrimp and forget the other items on the menu.

For the main, course I had baked sea bass which was quite good, except the fish sauce was again not up to standards of many good quality French Restaurants. For desert we split warm chocolate cake, and during the meal a glass of sparkling rose wine, all for 78 Euros, both of which cake and wine was excellent.

We had a nice hour long conversation with a couple from a town near York in England. They had Hake which they said was very good. We each found the Restaurant by looking at the Trip Advisors web site which gave it a very good rating, and it was an overall good experience. We enjoyed our conversations with them, as they were very well informed in world politics.

I am a former American Rocket Scientist, and am well educated with a degree in Chemistry, an MS in Engineering and and MBA. We were a little disappointed when the manager, or one who appeared to be the managerapproached the table with a stern face, after the meal was over, and gave us the bill. He then said in a rather loud voice, that we would have to show proof of identity before he would accept our Visa Explorer Card. He then left the table before I had time to pull out my wallet and show him my ID matched several credit cards. His behavior was a sharp contrast to our waiter who was very nice and very competent. When the Manager came back to the table he did not have a smile on his face, and I could not really figure out why he was so surly. We have no trouble providing identity to anyone that needs it, just a simple request of "may I see your identity" would have done the job. Maybe the manager,recognized us as Americans, and wondered if my back pack was evidence we could not afford the meal, which was over 90 Euros with the tip. Our hotel room lacked a safe so we put our -i-pads, cameras, etc. in a back pack and took it into the restaurant.

Managers should recognize that little things like his treatment of us make a lasting impression. However I don't want to detract from the nice job everyone else did in preparing and serving us a nice meal..

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Had an amazing experience in mangos this weekend.staff very good,food amazing! If u like sea food this is restaurant for you.it is of a very high standard.cant wait to eat here again.