“Gastrodelight”

The Helm Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 88 Restaurants in Westport
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
“Gastrodelight”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Arrived without a booking and sat at bar. Got a drink and was told we could order at bar if we would like food straight away. We were happy to do this and best decision we made. 2 fish starters and mains and it was best we ever had including fine dining experiences. We will be back and recommend to all our friends.. THANKS TO ALL THE STAFF..

• Visited December 2013

Galway, Ireland
“Cut the portion sizes and the price a bit and I would be back for more.”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The Helm has a nice informal atmosphere that is great for a genuinely good quality lunch but I think their dinner pricing is a bit OTT. With many main-course items on the evening a-la-carte menu coming in at €22.95, I'd expect a lot more than a menu with two types of 'Supreme of Chicken' on it. You are still sitting in a pub on Westport Quay not in a fine dining restaurant in a city centre location. I'm just not quite sure what the Helm is trying to be?

Overall lunch is good because the food is consistently of a high quality and staff really make the place special.

Cut the portion sizes and the price a bit and I would be back for more.

• Visited November 2013
Scotland
“Great food”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Great food though a bit expensive! Steaks cooked to perfection! The wine selection was not that great, but the food really was lovely and extremely filling. I could not fit in a dessert after just eating a main course.

• Visited November 2013
Longford
“Great place to eat”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

On a recent visit to Westport with a friend, we had lunch at the Helm. The food was very good and the staff friendly and helpful. I will definitely be back for the great food and service with a smile.

• Visited October 2013
Crossmolina, Ireland
“Excellent in every way”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We had booked a table, as it was a Friday night, and were greeted, seated and brought menus, bread and water immediately. Decided not to go for a starter, as we both fancied a steak (we have not ordered a steak for at least two years, finding disappointment usually). I went for the 7oz sirloin (18.95) and husband the 10oz sirloin (21.95). Both arrived beautifully cooked, on a bed of the most perfect creamed potato, drizzled with saute onions. THEN arrived a dish of carrots, broccoli and creamed cauliflower, a dish of lovely fresh salad, and a dish of crispy chips. I have never awarded a restaurant 5 stars (I'm waiting for the ultimate) but this was as good a meal as I have eaten, service was lovely and we thought it great value for money. See you again soon!

• Visited October 2013