“The best in the West”

The Helm Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 88 Restaurants in Westport
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Seafood, European, Pub, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ireland
“The best in the West”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I am a frequent caller to The Helm and I have never been disappointed. The food is superb and very good value for money. The owners and staff will always give you a good welcome. Shane who seems to in charge is a very nice guy and very very helpful, no chore is too much for him.
I will be back again and again, I love everything about the place. There is always a great atmosphere here and they seem to get a lovely crowd,

Belfast
“Still great food and atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were in the Helm on Sunday night on our first visit in 8 or 9 years. We used to be fairly frequent visitors to Westport and the Helm was always a favourite. When we knew we were coming back we e-mailed ahead and Shane replied right away confirming our table. On arrival we met Shane who was very welcoming as were all the Staff. A really good local band were playing in the bar and the atmosphere was good even on a cold Sunday night in February. The food was as good and as fresh as it had always been and the pork chops Helm style were as delicious as I remember them. We couldn't have come back to Westport without a visit here and would recommend it to everyone who is visiting the town. Thanks again to Shane and staff for a warm welcome and lovely food.

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great food and Craic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

If you are staying anywhere near the quays in Wesport, be sure to visit this great Pub/Restaurant. The food is fantastic but you may need to wait or book ahead. There's plenty of great craic and entertainment. Vinny iand his staff are great hosts. Enjoy....

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Leo M
Galway, Ireland
“"THE HELM" The very best restaurant in Westport”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were in Westport at the beginning of February and as always had booked the previous week for the Saturday night at "The Helm Restaurant". It was very busy (booked out) but Shane as usual gave individual attention and made time to make everyone feel very welcome. We had stuffed mushrooms for starters and my husband had the black sole and I had the chicken dish which I absolutely love. This restaurant never fails to astonish me. Their good food is consistent no matter how busy they are and it has always has a great atmosphere. We have had some family "big birthdays" here at the Helm and also stayed in their accommodation which is really comfortable and spacious.

We are looking forward to many more trips to Westport during 2013 and will definitely be back to "The Helm" which adds so much to our weekends away.

Liverpool
“A birthday treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Visited The Helm by chance with my wife and sister as a birthday treat for my sister. We dropped in quite late around 8.45pm. My sister and I both had the crab claws in butter which were superb. Then it was fillet steaks and salad. There was no Champagne on the wine list but I asked the barman who provided a lovely bottle of Champagne at a very reasonable price. It finished off the dinner perfectly. A great impromptu evening made better by the food and service. The Helm was a great place.

Visited February 2013