“Didn't see that coming.”

Cox's Restaurant and Bars
Ranked #22 of 60 Restaurants in Castlebar
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2013

As a Castlebar native living abroad, for me, Cox's is generally synonymous with being the place I end up with the lads, at the late bar, because it's near our preferred pubs, it's free in, and we're not ready for Supermacs yet.

On my most recent visit home with my girlfriend, I spied a leaflet about some fancy-pants Steak on the Stone that was available there. It had been at least ten years since I'd eaten at the restaurant in Cox's, and memory of the menu gave a vision of glorified pub grub. I do really like steak, so I was very much intrigued about this cooking it on a stone, and I was happy to give it a go.

I booked a table for two, and it was ready for us when we arrived. The staff were very pleasant and friendly. We shared a deep fried Brie for starters, which was fine. Then it was time for the Steak on the Stone. It was fantastic, a very unique dining experience. The meat was of an exceptionally high quality, and the accompanying sides and sauce complimented it perfectly. We were both extremely impressed. On a personal level, I was so surprised - I would never in a million years have imagined that the place I go to drink until 3am would also serve such amazing food! I know I'll be recommending it to friends. Our last steakhouse experience was one with a Michelin-starred chef attached to its branding, where we were less than impressed, and Cox's wiped the floor with them.

Unfortunately, after this, the staff became less attentive. We had to chase them for the dessert menu, to give our dessert order, for the bill, and, surprisingly, to pay the bill. It was an unfortunate let down after being so impressed up until then, and the reason this review isn't getting five out of five. The staff were still perfectly friendly, and it won't put me off going back, but it's still far from cool.

If Cox's were to rebrand themselves to position themselves as a steakhouse or grill, I do think they could do very well indeed.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I visited here on. A weekend in Castlebar the food was awful the staff were not a bit helpful very over priced small portions , we also went back to the venue for the late bar what we experienced was awful from once we got to the door the bouncers here awful rude not very welcoming at all. The bar staff were all very snappy and left you waiting so long for a to order a drink. The toilets were just disgraceful no toilet roll in half of them. From my experience of this venue I would not be recommending it to a friend

1  Thank Croghan12
Reviewed June 16, 2013

had a lovely dinner here yesterday evening, staff were very welcoming and nice. good selection and choice on the menu, the burger i had was delicious and everyone else's meals looked nice... would definately return and would recommened to anyone!!!

2  Thank sicaboo
Reviewed May 27, 2013

very extented international menu; perfect staff.
no dislikes, my advice: try the seafood menu> outstanding

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I recently had a meal in Cox's, brilliant food from starter to main course, very friendly service. On what was a busy evening with a lot of Mayo supporters returning from Galway we were well looked after

Coxs_Customer_Dept, Guest Relations Manager at Cox's Restaurant and Bars, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Thank you for taking time to write a review and also your kind comments. Glad you enjoyed your food and your experience in general.
The day was a sweet day for all us Mayo supporters so hope you enjoyed the atmosphere!

Thanks again,